Supermoto setup

Thread: Supermoto setup

Supermoto setup

Hey, this wasn't here last time I read this forum.
    Love the supermoto pics. Was wanting to do a setup on my '06 GasGas EC300 so I can ride it back and forth to work. I've seen some 'universal fit' rims and tires for sale on Kijiji and was wondering what's involved with setting them up. Anyplace close that sells them? Do I need the bigger front brake or will stock do for normal street driving? If I need the bigger brake, would it be easy to convert the bike back to dirt for weekend races?

Thanks

Re: Supermoto setup

You'll probably need GasGas specific hubs, the rims are pretty much standard 32 or 36 hole.

Is your Bike able to be blue plated?? if not, you're SOL, as off road bikes cannot be converted to street any longer.

A larger brake would be a good idea as well, stock MX brakes can get overwhelmed pretty quickly.

Your best bet is to keep all the stock Off road stuff together, wheels brakes etc.

Then buy wheels and brake rotors(320mm rotor) for your SM setup.

The SM setup will have a larger rotor and an offset bracket or different caliper that you can swap back and forth.

I have a similar setup for my CRF250 and 450.

Mine consists of the stock MX suspension(forks/shock) wheels and brakes

plus Ohlins forks/shock, lowered/sprung/valved for supermoto, 16.5in Supermoto wheels.

I can swap from dirt to supermoto in about 30min per bike.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    You'll probably need GasGas specific hubs, the rims are pretty much standard 32 or 36 hole.

Is your Bike able to be blue plated?? if not, you're SOL, as off road bikes cannot be converted to street any longer.

A larger brake would be a good idea as well, stock MX brakes can get overwhelmed pretty quickly.

Your best bet is to keep all the stock Off road stuff together, wheels brakes etc.

Then buy wheels and brake rotors(320mm rotor) for your SM setup.

The SM setup will have a larger rotor and an offset bracket or different caliper that you can swap back and forth.

I have a similar setup for my CRF250 and 450.

Mine consists of the stock MX suspension(forks/shock) wheels and brakes

plus Ohlins forks/shock, lowered/sprung/valved for supermoto, 16.5in Supermoto wheels.

I can swap from dirt to supermoto in about 30min per bike.
    30 minute swap is what I'd be shootin for. I'll look into the hubs. Know any place that would lace them up?
    Can you use your regular caliper with the larger rotor? I understand I would have to fab a bracket.
    The bike was plated new so I'm ok there, just want to make more use of the bike on the street.
    Only picture I got.
    edit: don't laugh at my stand, and the bike is far from that shiney now.
    Last edited by GasGas; 06-04-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Your going to ride a 2stroke to work? Hope you don't have to go in early one morning.... I can only imagine how loud that thing would be at 5am lol

Nice bike

Quote Originally Posted by 23 View Post
    Your going to ride a 2stroke to work? Hope you don't have to go in early one morning.... I can only imagine how loud that thing would be at 5am lol

Nice bike
    Ive seen someone riding a Kawi 2 stoke 250 on the street on the regular, plated, lights, signlas, mirror, kickstand, the whole nine ...And he was on knobbies....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Ive seen someone riding a Kawi 2 stoke 250 on the street on the regular, plated, lights, signlas, mirror, kickstand, the whole nine ...And he was on knobbies....
    Thats nuts.... but hey I guess if I didn't have a 4 stroke i'd be doing it too.

It's actually quite quiet if you're off the pipe. I usually go through sound check at races less than 92 dB. I also put the FMF Q silencer on it, that helped out too as the bike didn't come stock with spark arrestor.

Quote Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
    It's actually quite quiet if you're off the pipe. I usually go through sound check at races less than 92 dB. I also put the FMF Q silencer on it, that helped out too as the bike didn't come stock with spark arrestor.
    I like the FMF Q, was just looking at it the other day for my 05 CR250, cuz right now with the full FMF exhaust she is something like 108 db or something retarded like that. ( Im not certian so don't bother trying)

You have a very nice bike.

Thanks. But it's a little scuffed up now, that was when I just got it new. Here's a most recent pic from the Port Colborne Harescramble a couple weeks ago. I'll be up your way on Sunday for the Harescramble at RJ's.

Quote Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
    Thanks. But it's a little scuffed up now, that was when I just got it new. Here's a most recent pic from the Port Colborne Harescramble a couple weeks ago. I'll be up your way on Sunday for the Harescramble at RJ's.
    **** too bad I wont be home Sunday otherwise i would swing by, RJ's is just across the trail from my backyard.

Bike looks much better with scuffs, builds characters

Good Luck Sunday, Im off to Burnt River for the CMX Races.

Quote Originally Posted by 23 View Post
    **** too bad I wont be home Sunday otherwise i would swing by, RJ's is just across the trail from my backyard.

Bike looks much better with scuffs, builds characters

Good Luck Sunday, Im off to Burnt River for the CMX Races.

So when is the next group ride at your place since you are in prime location!??? Maybe a wednesday and we can ride the track, and then some trails!
    Yellow fever!!! I love Japanese........Bikes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SVHenn View Post
    So when is the next group ride at your place since you are in prime location!??? Maybe a wednesday and we can ride the track, and then some trails!
    RJ's is a closed members club....

PM sent.