Improvised Tracks?

Thread: Improvised Tracks?

Lightbulb Improvised Tracks?

I want to get some low to moderate speed turning practice on the streetbike. I was thinking about riding an improvised track around something like a shopping mall after closing, a cemetary or some industrial area after hours.

For example, I was in Oakville place the other day, and you could setup a sweet track around the mall with some nice hairpins turns and some cool elevation changes in the parking lot.

Anyone try something like this? Any trouble with the police. My bike is very quiet an I won't be going that fast so hopefully I wouldn't attract to much attention.

Ideas?
    "It doesn't matter what you ride, it's how you ride. Ride with passion"

Re: Improvised Tracks?

Go to the track!

go for a ride above hwy 5 there is tons of twisties up there. if you not going to go fast in a parking lot why not just get on the road.

Simply for safety reasons, go to a race track. You are asking for trouble any other way.
    Twisty roads are real good though. Look around the forum for some good suggestions.
    ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by Persian-Rice View Post
    Simply for safety reasons, go to a race track. You are asking for trouble any other way.
    Twisty roads are real good though. Look around the forum for some good suggestions.
    Safety reasons? My idea to to NOT ride on the general public roads so I don't have to deal with traffic. Speeds would be kept under 100kph.

Sorry to say there are few if any decent riding roads within a hour of the GTA. Sure Forks of the Credit is fun for 5 minutes, but it is not a good place to practice your skills.

Next time you visit your grandma at the big cemetary, imagine riding there with no one around to understand what I am talking about.
    "It doesn't matter what you ride, it's how you ride. Ride with passion"

Quote Originally Posted by bkowal View Post
    Next time you visit your grandma at the big cemetary, imagine riding there with no one around to understand what I am talking about.
    Ya, cause if (worst case) you go off the paved roads in the cemetary, there are tons of soft headstones to slow you and your bike down safely.

Well as long as you're going under 100 kmh.... Yeah, you won't get hurt if you're only going 90 in a parking lot.

Don't be stupid. Go to the track. You'll understand once you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by bkowal View Post
    I have read this statement at least half a dozen times, and have literally NO clue what that is actually supposed to mean???

It could mean:
    - Riding in the graveyard is fun for 5 minutes, but not a good place to practice your skills.
    - There is no traffic and speeds would be below 100k
    - You could use the headstones as pylons, and make a nice little slalom course of them

In any case, LOL! Like others have said, hit the track, it is WICKED fun and you will learn more in one day than you have since you started riding, all added up.
    Newcastle, On.

Remember, parking lots are dirty as hell...
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

I don't see what the big deal is here with the track junkies. We all know the track is fun, and there is no substitution for it. But not everyone has the time, money and opportunity to go track riding. There's nothing wrong going into an empty parking lot and safely practicing turning, stopping, accelerating or whatever gets your motor running. Everytime I get a new bike my 1st trip is to the nearest empty parking lot.
    Sometimes, I go to big empty parking lots with good lighting at night, and do some of this stuff. First I make sure the area is clean, then I figure out the "track" in the safest route possible avoiding turns close to light posts and curbs. Last place I did this I was told by the security guard to leave the parking lot, so you gotta find a spot that is unexposed and no one will care that you're there.
    I'd like to put down pylons like we did at Humber College Prorider course but that will definitely attract attention.

Rossi86....have you ever been to the track?