is stator cover supposed to get really hot? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is stator cover supposed to get really hot?

Re: is stator cover supposed to get really hot?

Quote Originally Posted by weldingglover View Post
    i will investigate, i always thought they didn't have no oil in that side , never had to take one off my dirt bike or street bike yet, just clutch side Live and learn.
    In my car the alternator is cooled by a duct of air, but apparently in the bike it is cooled by the oil. I was surprised myself
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    In my car the alternator is cooled by a duct of air, but apparently in the bike it is cooled by the oil. I was surprised myself
    oil doesn't conduct electricity but is very good at spreading out heat, there is no reason for it to not be under the stator cover
    A bike is like a girl friend - expensive and high maintanance but it's all worth the ride...

Sauga area, always up for a ride if i'm not busy. Drop me a pm...

Quote Originally Posted by izzo View Post
    is it supposed to get boiling hot? when your bike reaches a temputure of 100'c?

asked chris last night told him to get it up to 100 and touch the stator cover and he said it was nice and cool....

if its supposed to stay nice and cool what would cause the stator cover to get really hot on me???
    I'm not sure what bike you have, but on some Yamahas the bolt that holds on the flywheel has a hole on the end that is used for suppling oil to the area of the stator. If it gets blocked, it ends up burning out stators. Check for oil flow into that area.

Looked at my GIXXER service manual and looked at the oil flow diagrams and yeap oil goes in there lol, now i feel like a dumb ***, but i knows a litte more now.
    If your gonna do stupid stuff you better be tough

Wow, I started a serious debate, who knows if all bikes are the same, but my yamaha fzr600 has no oil in there. I was even so anal to take off my stator cover and start the bike, no my bike will not burn up, it just wont recharge, anyways, enough debating. Some bikes must have oil and some don't.
    1993 FZR 600