Toronto Penetanguishene route?

Thread: Toronto Penetanguishene route?

bmwderek

Toronto Penetanguishene route?

I am a new rider and would appreciate input into a non-highway route to Penetanguishene. Thanks

Re: Toronto Penetanguishene route?

I don't know the route exactly, but it goes something like Hwy 27 to Horseshoe Valley Rd. to Penatanguishine Rd.

bmwderek

Thats's what I was thinking. Any reasonable suggestions for a route to get to 27?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwderek View Post
    Thats's what I was thinking. Any reasonable suggestions for a route to get to 27?
    Whats your starting point?

bmwderek

Bathurst and Eglinton more or less...

You could look at a map

bmwderek

Thanks Ron - that would never have occurred to me...have a wonderful day.

No offense, Derek, but with a question like that it would certainly make many wonder if you have any idea where you're going (obvious, sarcastic answer being Penetang). It could just as easily turn into "how do I get from my driveway to my street" et cetera.

Are you looking for a direct route or something with as many curves as possible? There's LOTS of roads to take to get up there - how is the fun.

You have a wonderful day, too (or evening as i'm typing this at night ).
    Andrew
    '05 CB919 and '04 CB599 shared with the missus (Jenerator)

bmwderek

Andrew: obviously, my mistake. I drive there weekly by car via the 400 etc and am very familiar with that, but am looking to knowledgeable riders who could outline a more fun/interesting route on which to gain experience and enjoy the ride, now that I plan to use my bike.

Many thanks

Quick map: Have fun, there are better roads so explore on your way back

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en...383789&t=h&z=8
    SOAR Novice #113

bmwderek

Dave: Thank-you so much for this. This is exactly what I had in mind. I am looking forward to it.

Dave: Thank-you so much for this. This is exactly what I had in mind. I am looking forward to it.
    You might not find #11 through Barrie much fun.

My cottage is near there and sometimes (for a scenic drive) I go this way.

I'll some times take highway 27 North or 50.

(if on the 27) At highway 9 hang a left and go to highway 10 through Alliston. At highway 89 hang a right and go through Base Borden (say hi to the MP's for me if you dare go 2 over the speed limit)
    Go right on 90 and then a left on 28. At Horseshoe Valley Road (highway 22) go right towards Horseshoe Valley and at the town of Craighurt (at the lights with the Petro Can) hang a left which will put you on 93. Ride 93 all the way up to Penetang and it's all good. Not a lot of twisites but I always like the drive

(if you take highway 50) At highway 9 its a right then a left onto 10 .. then follow the rest

bmwderek

Thanks for this - much appreciated.

D

Hey Derek,
    I ride to Penetang all the time as my cottage is up beside Awenda Park. When I have loads of extra time in my pocket, I usually ride north along Weston Rd (which you can catch right off Eglinton) until it ends at Hwy 9. Turn left and then less than 1km up the road, make a right on Rupke Rd which passes through Canal Rd and quickly turns into Sideroad #5. Follow the signs to stay on this road and it runs right up to Barrie. Just past Mapleview Dr, it changes names to Veterans Dr which then ends at HWY 27 (right turn) then follow around the water (Lake Simcoe) to Dunlop and then up to Bayfield Dr.
    Bayfield then turns into Hwy 27 which then leads to County Rd 6 which leads up to Perkinsfield. Go right at the stop sign and that takes you into Midland.
    Awenda Parkl is a lot of fun to ride though at a nice gentle pace if you have never done it on a bike.

Good luck and ride safe
    http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&...b4eedf7200&z=9
    Last edited by shanekingsley; 06-11-2008 at 09:17 PM.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

bmwderek

Shane: Outstanding! I work just a few minutes from Awenda. I will definitely give this a try. Many, many thanks for this.

Derek

i live in awenda park my back yard is awenda.... sawlog bay is where i live..hwy 401 to 400 to 400 ext hwy 93 to midland past hwy 12 6 sets of stop lights to penetang then to robert turn right to champlain road ..follow it all the way out to the 16th or keep going?? champlain takes you to awenda!! i love it here!! beautiful countryside!!

hey fellow Northerners! I'm in Midland.... howdy neighbor's!
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

Shane: Outstanding! I work just a few minutes from Awenda. I will definitely give this a try. Many, many thanks for this.

Derek
    Hey Derek,

My pleasure and sorry it was my first time using that google maps line drawing thing.. but glad I learned how to do it
    Post up if you tried that route out. I'm curious how the road conditions are as I'm planning my first ride out of the city (been way to busy this spring w/ work) and was curious if there are any major potholes on Sideroad #5.

Thanks!
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

bmwderek

Shane:

I w.Was planning to ride tomorrow - but my work plans were changed on my behalf...As such - it will likely be next week that I will try it. I will certainly let you know about the road conditions etc. Thanks again.

Derek