Heard this, anyone know if its true?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heard this, anyone know if its true?

Heard this, anyone know if its true?

Not that i condone such behavior, but...

I have heard that there is legislation that says the OPP cannot 'chase' or pursue a motorcycle. I have heard the reason is that it provokes the rider into a situation which can/often leads to injury or death.

Anyone know?

Re: Heard this, anyone know if its true?

I've never heard of that one way or another, but I know that the OPP has in the past chased motorcycles. Sounds like BS to me.
    --
    JRS

I'm not sure. I'm usually skeptical, but the rationality is that the OPP will use their radio and call in the license instead of giving chase.

I've heard they'll stop a chase if it reaches speeds of over 160km/h.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker_kev View Post
    I've heard they'll stop a chase if it reaches speeds of over 160km/h.
    Well thats easy.

They can, and will chase you... The 160 kph limit is crap too.

Local Police will not chase you, unsure about opp i will get back to you on this subject i'm reliable source, but if your gonna run, make sure you kill your self, cause that cop will be in **** if he endangers public safety
    If your gonna do stupid stuff you better be tough

And, if you roll up beside them, and flip 'em off, just to start a chase... Some of them will try to knock you off your bike.

CAV_MAN

Post Re: Heard this, anyone know if its true?

They are all "supposed to" do something or not do something.. But who will stop them?? THEY are THE LAW. They will do it, (lay the charge(s)) and then what's your recourse?? Take it to court and spend mucho deriro on lawyers fees.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in this. Yahoo cops all want to be heroes. A close friend of mine has a buddy on OPP, and I also know a PRP very well. They are instructed not to chase, but I have been chased more times than you can count... They better get a plane if they want me... OH WAIT....... D'oh!!
    Last edited by CAV_MAN; 05-29-2008 at 11:21 PM.

I've seen the OPP doing 160+ on the 401 in the stretch between kingston and belleville, doing 120 and they pass you like you're standing still and only a few seconds for them to be far enough out of sight that you can't see them anymore. It seems like 75% of our police force here are traffic cops, and they're getting very tricky with their speed traps, make sure you're going slow down the hill to trenton on the 401, they're usually waiting at the bottom of the hill where you have difficulty seeing them. Wednesday (might have been tuesday) there was one 1/2 on the shoulder of the on ramp and I didn't see him until the last second as i rounded the corner... fortunately i was wide that day, if i had been closer to the right shoulder I would have clipped him. He was in a position where he would have to pursue someone and taking off from that position he would very likely hit some one if they came around the corner of the on ramp at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekGrrl View Post
    I've seen the OPP doing 160+ on the 401 in the stretch between kingston and belleville, doing 120 and they pass you like you're standing still and only a few seconds for them to be far enough out of sight that you can't see them anymore. It seems like 75% of our police force here are traffic cops, and they're getting very tricky with their speed traps, make sure you're going slow down the hill to trenton on the 401, they're usually waiting at the bottom of the hill where you have difficulty seeing them. Wednesday (might have been tuesday) there was one 1/2 on the shoulder of the on ramp and I didn't see him until the last second as i rounded the corner... fortunately i was wide that day, if i had been closer to the right shoulder I would have clipped him. He was in a position where he would have to pursue someone and taking off from that position he would very likely hit some one if they came around the corner of the on ramp at the wrong time.
    All the way back to Toronto on Monday I only saw 4 OPP cruisers. Three of them were behind that bridge, in the eastbound lanes.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

My old coach Is a NRP and he has told me that in fact if a motorcycle is traveling at dangerous speeds that they are "Not Supposed to" pursue the chase. It's putting the motorcycle in danger traveling that fast, as well as the general public, and the officer if he chooses to follow.

So theres quite the opposing opinions here. It seems that perhaps there are regulations as to whether chasing will lead to a loss of public safety, but
    (as we all know) cops use their own discretion and if they feel like chasing, they will.

In regards to the above post about the cruiser parked dangerously on the ramp, i would have pulled over and gave him an earful, perhaps get the badge number. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

I think the police quite often forget that they are there to 'serve and protect', not 'do whatever the F*** they want'.

Quote Originally Posted by weldingglover View Post
    Local Police will not chase you, unsure about opp i will get back to you on this subject i'm reliable source, but if your gonna run, make sure you kill your self, cause that cop will be in **** if he endangers public safety

I've been in a situation where the "city" police flew past us onto the 401, to pull us over! (just last night)

The way they did it SERIOUSLY endangered the public.. not just us riders, but also the cagers.. they almost caused a pile up by stopping in the middle of the lane of the hwy, swinging both front car doors open then jumped out of there car and completely stopped all lanes of traffic to, in order to stop all of us! After checking our paperwork all they could do was give one of the guys a "Failure to produce a valid insurance slip"

I've NEVER experienced anything like this before, I do have to say watching the cops act like "Mad Men" was quite entertaining...lol
    ~ Suzuki Girl ~

I have heard they can't chase, but we know they will. I have heard they can't chase over 160 km/hr, but we know they will drive that fast without chasing. Can they chase you over 200 though? That depends on what they are driving.
    Keep the front wheel in the air and the shiny side up.

Guelph
    Past bikes-77 Yam YZ100, 80 Hon CR125, 84 Yam XT600, 86 Hon CR250, 87 Yam TW200, 03 Hon CBR954, 05 Busa
    Current bikes- 08 Busa, 06 Hon CRF50

My understanding is that they are under orders to discontinue pursuit if things become too dangerous. It's up to the officer's discretion what constitutes 'dangerous.'

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    My understanding is that they are under orders to discontinue pursuit if things become too dangerous. It's up to the officer's discretion what constitutes 'dangerous.'
    And for some officers 'too dangerous' isn't a word in their vocab... its all about 'getting your man' Just take a look at the thread about the riders pulled over on the 401 in the general discussion section.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    And for some officers 'too dangerous' isn't a word in their vocab... its all about 'getting your man' Just take a look at the thread about the riders pulled over on the 401 in the general discussion section.
    It isn't about the person, as much as it is about adrenaline. It's why some otherwise reasonable and mature human beings turn into ****ing morons and run, when the cherries light up behind them.

So if you were caught after a highspeed chase, could the charges be thrown out if you could prove the officer risked public safety to catch you?

Quote Originally Posted by Aequitas123 View Post
    So if you were caught after a highspeed chase, could the charges be thrown out if you could prove the officer risked public safety to catch you?
    nope