Ride the Cabot Trail - August - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ride the Cabot Trail - August

Re: Ride the Cabot Trail - August

Quote Originally Posted by BlueVFR View Post
    I will change the chain before the trip, other than this, the well known failure on the VFR is the rectifier/regulator for the charging system on 98 and 99 models. Mine is a 2000 and I believe the part had been upgraded, but will double check that before the trip as well. Rear tire is brand new, front is about two season and still good.
    the same thing applies to the reg/rec on my 2nd gen...still on the original 22 years later... (hope i didn't just jinx it). if you're really worried, you can always carry an extra one (bolt on bolt off i believe), they're quite small....

it's a bonus if you still have your centre stand...easier for lubin your chain.
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º> ´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Everything is original, and I got to admit that center stand is the real bonus. Adjust Chain, change tires, lub chain, taking the ferry... you name it.

Some people in the VFR forum do mention that they carry a spare rectifier/reg around with them (98/99 models). I haven't seem many mentioned the 2000 and 2001 models, so the beefed up heat sink might had solved the problem. Don't ever buy anything in the 1st year! The 2002 model had an under size alternator as well. Anyway, I didn't like the VTech engine that much.

Quote Originally Posted by romey View Post
    the same thing applies to the reg/rec on my 2nd gen...still on the original 22 years later... (hope i didn't just jinx it). if you're really worried, you can always carry an extra one (bolt on bolt off i believe), they're quite small....

it's a bonus if you still have your centre stand...easier for lubin your chain.

For those who are interested, please check the 1st page for update on the trip.

Date: - August 9th to August 16th

Here is the list of the candidates:

BlueVFR
    Lurker_R6
    Komodo
    Petieboy

Day 1: - Toronto to Quebec City - 820 kms
    Day 2: - Quebec City to Moncton - 762 kms
    Day 3: - Moncton to Cape Breton (via cabot trail) - 732 kms
    Day 4: - Rest day or explore the area.
    Day 5: - Cape Breton to Halifax via hwy 4 and 7 - 448 kms
    Day 6: - Halifax to Charlottetown via the ferry, then to Moncton - 405 kms
    Day 7: - Moncton back to Quebec City - 762 kms
    day 8: - Quebec City back to Toronto - 820 kms (may be taking country roads of time permits)

Coming back through Maine is another option. Total distance besides on above estimate: - 4749 kms (this is the roughly the distance from here to Vancouver).

Please book an extra day off (August 18th) for flexibility.

Schedule looks good.
    Would be better if you could stretch it a bit so more time can be spent riding the local roads.
    I was contemplating 2 weeks.
    That way there is a bit more time to explore. Sight see.
    Or if you can't get more time off.
    Mabe think about only spending 2 days to get there.
    Just a thought.

We can extend the return to Sunday and have Monday off for rest. Two weeks is too long for everyone, and two days is a bit rush to get out there. Don't forget we are not taking the hwy all the way and this will take up more time.

700 to 800 km/day is a reasonable. Anything more than that may not be enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    Schedule looks good.
    Would be better if you could stretch it a bit so more time can be spent riding the local roads.
    I was contemplating 2 weeks.
    That way there is a bit more time to explore. Sight see.
    Or if you can't get more time off.
    Mabe think about only spending 2 days to get there.
    Just a thought.

My orginal plan was to ride out through the US and take the ferry over.
    I did that drive this year through maine.. The roads and views were unreal! I wish I had the bike for it! Plus the ferry from Saint John to Digby N.S was something else!
    I'd like to do this ride.. sounds like a good time

We can extend the return to Sunday and have Monday off for rest. Two weeks is too long for everyone, and two days is a bit rush to get out there. Don't forget we are not taking the hwy all the way and this will take up more time.

700 to 800 km/day is a reasonable. Anything more than that may not be enjoyable.
    Yeah you're probably right.
    But there is no sense returning on the 16th when you could have another whole day explore.

Sorry, I do mean 17th if everyone takes Monday off. That would be even more relax (more time to explore the East).

Yeah you're probably right.
    But there is no sense returning on the 16th when you could have another whole day explore.

We'll I just got back on Sunday June 1st from the East Coast myself, I left Saturday May 24th, and made it as far as Levis Quebec on the first day, just outside of Quebec city. The second day I was on the road by 7:30am and I made it the entire way to Windsor, NS (in the Annapolis Valley).

I was making daily hospital visits, but still managed to hit the roads daily and do about 300km a day on the backroads in Nova Scotia.
    You really can't go wrong turning down any road there. Almost all roads twist like crazy (except the 100'series hiways like our 400 but with 110km limits), some are a little patchy, and you'll see some gravel, but the roads are amazing. 70- 90 Posted limits on roads that twist along the ocean.

I didnt have the time for the Cabot Trail this trip, but I'll be back.

Beware a Street Racing Type law went in effect on June 1st. I felt really lucky to be able to enjoy the south shore roads at a nice bike pace without worrying about more than just a regular speeding ticket, btw I got no tickets during the entire trip.

PACK light! Heres a few pic's I took but pack light, Everything I took was in the backpack, and I would pack even lighter next time.

Have Fun! And plan for as much time in Nova Scotia as you can!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Atlantic Ocean.jpg   BackpackNova.JPG   PeggysCove.JPG  

Thanks for the heads up. I will only have a tail bag and a back pack for the trip. Tried that last year and worked very well for me. Secure the tail bag with two bungee cords and I am gone in wind!

Quote Originally Posted by Zahadoom View Post
    We'll I just got back on Sunday June 1st from the East Coast myself, I left Saturday May 24th, and made it as far as Levis Quebec on the first day, just outside of Quebec city. The second day I was on the road by 7:30am and I made it the entire way to Windsor, NS (in the Annapolis Valley).

I was making daily hospital visits, but still managed to hit the roads daily and do about 300km a day on the backroads in Nova Scotia.
    You really can't go wrong turning down any road there. Almost all roads twist like crazy (except the 100'series hiways like our 400 but with 110km limits), some are a little patchy, and you'll see some gravel, but the roads are amazing. 70- 90 Posted limits on roads that twist along the ocean.

Beware a Street Racing Type law went in effect on June 1st. I felt really lucky to be able to enjoy the south shore roads at a nice bike pace without worrying about more than just a regular speeding ticket, btw I got no tickets during the entire trip.

PACK light! Heres a few pic's I took but pack light, Everything I took was in the backpack, and I would pack even lighter next time.

Last edited by BlueVFR; 06-08-2008 at 11:02 AM.

I am doing the same trip, leaving June 21 and back July 11, one quick question did you have the backpack resting on the bike, and did it give you any back trouble?

I can't think of anything i should bring with me, other than a change of cloths and CAA plus
    FOR SALE:
    2003 Kawasaki Z1000 $5000
    plus TONS of bike parts..... www.masalma.com

Floats like a butterfly, & stings like a Z!

I rode with a heavy backpack for a couple of days and it sucked. I won't do it again. Even if it's a nice hikers backpack with the waist strap it still was uncomfortable after a while.
    I've already ordered a corbin seat. And I'm thinking about ordering some cortech sport saddle bags & tail pack. After that all I need is a new rear tire and I'm ready for a long haul.

My backpack was very light. Just my camera and running shoes. After 8 hours, it doesn't feel that bad.

I rode with a heavy backpack for a couple of days and it sucked. I won't do it again. Even if it's a nice hikers backpack with the waist strap it still was uncomfortable after a while.
    I've already ordered a corbin seat. And I'm thinking about ordering some cortech sport saddle bags & tail pack. After that all I need is a new rear tire and I'm ready for a long haul.

Yeah I woulda like to have the pack lighter, had a entire spare set of clothes (jeans and long underwear set) in a garbage bag inside the pack. Plus in another bag, extra tshirt, 2 pairs of socks and the sweater. - This bag I would leave behind next time. Also I had a second set of gloves, which the second ones turned out alot better for the rain. But next time I would only bring one set to save space/weight.

I had some water/slipper shoes with me instead of my running shoes to save space and weight(have motorcycle boots on), and a first aid kit, knife, tiedowns, electrical tape, cell phone charger and some extra batteries for the gps, and a bottle of water. Toothbrush/Razor and stuff. Not too much to lighten up but, riding with a backpack as heavy as in that picture truthfully isn't easy. You have to want to do it and then you'll get useto it pretty quickly. Plus once I got to Nova Scotia I dumped the pack and rode all the good roads without it.

Plus have a good rain suit, Some sort of one piece or high pants designed for motorcycling, because on the first day of the ride home I got soaked and stopped some 300km short of where I wanted to be, leaving me 1150km from NB to Ontario the second day.
    Water went up under the jacket soaked the top of my jeans, but I started the 2nd day off with dry equipment and clothes but the 2nd day was also rainy and drizzle and now really foggy in New Brunswick and Quebec between Edmunston and Riviere Du Loup, pretty crazy day in the valley between the mountains, wasn't long before I was wet again, but I after Quebec city I was riding into dryer and warmer temperatures all the way back to Toronto so it wasn't bad.

Put over 6000km on the bike in a week, and I will ride those Nova Scotia roads again. I would love to be able to trailer the bike places to skip those long hiway rides but, with the price of gas, I'd probably ride where I'm going again.

I want to head West to BC next.

Not when you have a couple riders to share the cost for the trailer and gas.

Yeah I woulda like to have the pack lighter, had a entire spare set of clothes (jeans and long underwear set) in a garbage bag inside the pack. Plus in another bag, extra tshirt, 2 pairs of socks and the sweater. - This bag I would leave behind next time. Also I had a second set of gloves, which the second ones turned out alot better for the rain. But next time I would only bring one set to save space/weight.

I had some water/slipper shoes with me instead of my running shoes to save space and weight(have motorcycle boots on), and a first aid kit, knife, tiedowns, electrical tape, cell phone charger and some extra batteries for the gps, and a bottle of water. Toothbrush/Razor and stuff. Not too much to lighten up but, riding with a backpack as heavy as in that picture truthfully isn't easy. You have to want to do it and then you'll get useto it pretty quickly. Plus once I got to Nova Scotia I dumped the pack and rode all the good roads without it.

Plus have a good rain suit, Some sort of one piece or high pants designed for motorcycling, because on the first day of the ride home I got soaked and stopped some 300km short of where I wanted to be, leaving me 1150km from NB to Ontario the second day.
    Water went up under the jacket soaked the top of my jeans, but I started the 2nd day off with dry equipment and clothes but the 2nd day was also rainy and drizzle and now really foggy in New Brunswick and Quebec between Edmunston and Riviere Du Loup, pretty crazy day in the valley between the mountains, wasn't long before I was wet again, but I after Quebec city I was riding into dryer and warmer temperatures all the way back to Toronto so it wasn't bad.

Put over 6000km on the bike in a week, and I will ride those Nova Scotia roads again. I would love to be able to trailer the bike places to skip those long hiway rides but, with the price of gas, I'd probably ride where I'm going again.

I want to head West to BC next.

When you get here, come by for a visit!

http://www.ctmcretreat.com

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by cbr600f4i View Post

Patrick
    how is the police presence in the cabot trail?
    FOR SALE:
    2003 Kawasaki Z1000 $5000
    plus TONS of bike parts..... www.masalma.com

Floats like a butterfly, & stings like a Z!

Quote Originally Posted by masalma View Post
    went up and down it a few times when i was there, can't remember seeing anyone, not that i had a reason to watch out or be cautious...if it matters, it's rcmp that patrols the area if i'm not mistaken.... it's a long way from home to be takin risks on the turns if anything, it's moose you really need to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by cbr600f4i View Post

Patrick
    nice site Patrick! you guys have an awesome business there! and a gallery! what a great concept! the house/rooms look so inviting, i may have to swing bye there next visit....

Quote Originally Posted by masalma View Post
    I wouldn't worry about police. Moose, RV's, cars, other motorcyclists and ocean views tend to slow you down anyways!

Patrick