Slicks Vs street tires

Thread: Slicks Vs street tires

Slicks Vs street tires

I am hoping to convert one of the bikes into a full time track bike. would I benefit from going with slicks instead of street tires; keep in mind that I am a beginners (1 track day thus far)?

your input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Slicks Vs street tires

Is it just for track days?

All around with some thread can be useful on them rainy track days
    Dem man nah realize de way I do de technology way don't I identify dey oola dem idiot sound bwoy already ya nah rude bwoy

Quote Originally Posted by Akshun View Post
    Is it just for track days?

All around with some thread can be useful on them rainy track days
    Just for track days, if it's raining I will not go on the track. I am doing it for fun, running when wet cannot be fun. Will slicks need more speed (heat) in order to stick?

just run some DOT race tires like the D208's. Great on the track and cheaper than slicks.
    "There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated"
    -NOFX 'the idiots are taking over'

Slicks and DOT race tires are about the same price, but the slicks will last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Slicks and DOT race tires are about the same price, but the slicks will last longer.
    I would have to agree, I have run on slicks twice, both were essentially scrubs and I liked them quite a bit. I've had people tell me if you're bike isn't set up for slicks they wont work well or something to that effect. But I routinely run in the hotshoe classes and quite frankly I have never felt uncomfortable on the slicks. I find they did last longer. I don't use tire warmers either.

thank you all for the feed back, I have one more track day left on the current set, I will get a set of slicks next.

Quote Originally Posted by veteq View Post
    I am hoping to convert one of the bikes into a full time track bike. would I benefit from going with slicks instead of street tires; keep in mind that I am a beginners (1 track day thus far)?

your input would be greatly appreciated.
    If you have only done 1 or 2 track days and are not running in the fast group, my advice would be to use supersport street tires. Slicks need tire warmers (and a generator) and need to stay hot (fast speeds) to work well.
    There are many good street/track tires such as Diablo Corsa, M. Pilot, BT014/002, etc. and you can safely use them in dry & wet conditions.

/rs
    Last edited by rsilk; 05-30-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rsilk View Post
    If you have only done 1 or 2 track days and are not running in the fast group, my advice would be to use supersport street tires. Slicks need tire warmers (and a generator) and need to stay hot (fast speeds) to work well.
    There are many good street/track tires such as Diablo Corsa, M. Pilot, BT014/002, etc. and you can safely use them in dry & wet conditions.

/rs
    That's what I was afraid of. I am running in the green group for now and my understanding is that slicks require faster speeds in order to maintain grip. Based on that, I will stay with the DOT tires.

thanks

You'll be fine on slicks, they heat up the same way as a DOT tire and will offer the same grip at the same pace.

I ran slicks on my zx7r on mosport in the intermediate sessions with no problems. And I rode on slicks on my R1 in the hotshoe and ran high 1:19s at cayuga. Again no problems. Each time, no tire warmers, no generator, nothing. Trust me you and I are not good enough to realize what a slick can really do.

Quote Originally Posted by veteq View Post
    Just for track days, if it's raining I will not go on the track. I am doing it for fun, running when wet cannot be fun. Will slicks need more speed (heat) in order to stick?
    Running a trackday in the wet, while not as "fun" as a dry day, is very very educational, and will benefit your skills tremendously. Don't shy away from it. Embrace it
    Now: 1998 ZZR600
    Then:
    1981 Yamaha MX80-J
    1999 Yamaha Fazer 600
    2001 aprilia RS250
    1999 ZZR600

Quote Originally Posted by prillerFan View Post
    Running a trackday in the wet, while not as "fun" as a dry day, is very very educational, and will benefit your skills tremendously. Don't shy away from it. Embrace it
    +1 very first time on the track was with FAST. It poured rain all day but I learned a hell of a lot more fine control with the throttle and brake.
    "There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated"
    -NOFX 'the idiots are taking over'