what is a good dual sport / trail bike... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is a good dual sport / trail bike...

Re: what is a good dual sport / trail bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Catzuki View Post
    I was looking at the Yamaha XT250... I like it because it's short enough I can touch.. I'm not looking for a hardcore off road bike,,, Just one to do some exploring easy trails and dirt roads....
    sorry in advance
    xt yamaha and crf230, drz200 the same old technologi
    get wx if you like yamaha, yzf, or yz 2t and you'll have a blust
    personally I prefere honda, cause for 1 yamaha honda sells 5 bikes, (easier to find parts)

if you like old technologi get xr250r on thumpertalk.com (96 and up), but for this money will have more fun with cr 125 (2002 and up)

Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    I've got 2 bikes, and I know how to ride them, so this isn't a "noob" question of should I get an R6 or a gixxer or 250 ?...

I'm just curious what is a good dual sport / trail bike? I'm thinking up to 250cc would be good... I don't need a 400cc or a 650cc ... I'm not going mud bogging, long distance on the trail, nor climbing hills and I don't need to go uber fast either, so I don't need the latest greatest 400cc motard style bike... I was looking more along the lines of maybe like a TW200, XT225, KLX250 CRF230 that size / type of bike... just to use to play around in the dirt from time to time...

recommendations or comments on any is welcome, thanks.
    I bought a CRF250X.....great bike...more than enough power and great suspension....mine is Blue plated so i can ride it there and between trails. Just my experience....btw...it's for sale!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amp3d View Post
    ...XR400, that is, if you can find one.
    I'll second this. I've been offroad on a friends XR400 and a nicely suspended one at that. Compared to my beast of a KLR, it was a focused dirt weapon. It'd do everything you asked in the dirt and still power you onto the highway for the ride home.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

yfzracer912

I bought a 2008 WR250R as my first bike ever. I ve been in quads since I was 5. But due to the lack of trails here and the rise of fuel(had to sell the truck) a dual sport bike fit the bill. I picked it up May 3rd of this year and I have 2400km on it so far. I love it! I ve rode in sand, 2 feet of water, mudd and highway. Runs great at 110km/h. I topped it out at 152(as indicated). My buddy bought a DR650 and my little 250 is right there with it on the road. Off road its a different story. I also love the EFI. Doesnt matter if it cold or not just hit the start button and it fires up. I rode with my gf on it for the first time yesterday. She preffered it over the Honda Shadow she use to ride on the back of. She was dissapointed with the lack of vibrations lol. It doesnt have much bottum end but it picks up on the mid. It is also very restricted stock. Few mods like intake and exhaust will probably change the power alot. If I do 75% road I can get 62mpg, if I do 75% trail I get 52mpg which is still good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by yfzracer912 View Post
    I bought a 2008 WR250R as my first bike ever. I ve been in quads since I was 5. But due to the lack of trails here and the rise of fuel(had to sell the truck) a dual sport bike fit the bill. I picked it up May 3rd of this year and I have 2400km on it so far. I love it! I ve rode in sand, 2 feet of water, mudd and highway. Runs great at 110km/h. I topped it out at 152(as indicated). My buddy bought a DR650 and my little 250 is right there with it on the road. Off road its a different story. I also love the EFI. Doesnt matter if it cold or not just hit the start button and it fires up. I rode with my gf on it for the first time yesterday. She preffered it over the Honda Shadow she use to ride on the back of. She was dissapointed with the lack of vibrations lol. It doesnt have much bottum end but it picks up on the mid. It is also very restricted stock. Few mods like intake and exhaust will probably change the power alot. If I do 75% road I can get 62mpg, if I do 75% trail I get 52mpg which is still good IMO.
    Get yourself a Boysen Quickshot for 99.99 at Royal and a Twin Air filter and you will have that bottom end power your looking for with no additional tuning required.

yfzracer912

Quote Originally Posted by 23 View Post
    Get yourself a Boysen Quickshot for 99.99 at Royal and a Twin Air filter and you will have that bottom end power your looking for with no additional tuning required.

Its EFI so the Quickshot isnt for this bike.

Quote Originally Posted by yfzracer912 View Post
    Its EFI so the Quickshot isnt for this bike.
    Sorry missed that part, swap sprockets is another option....

Get one of the new Yamaha WR250X's

m2xrider

What do you guys think about Honda XR650L? I would like to go into dirt/dual-sport riding, I took two courses; one from CMT and one from TrailTours and now got a little bit hooked. I ride to work on 4XX expressway, so need the bike powerful enough on highway. Besides, I am 5'10", 170lbs, not sure the size of XR650L fit me.

Quote Originally Posted by m2xrider View Post
    What do you guys think about Honda XR650L? I would like to go into dirt/dual-sport riding, I took two courses; one from CMT and one from TrailTours and now got a little bit hooked. I ride to work on 4XX expressway, so need the bike powerful enough on highway. Besides, I am 5'10", 170lbs, not sure the size of XR650L fit me.
    The XR650 is a nice bike, and would be a good fit....

http://www.odsc.on.ca/phpBB3/viewtop...=xr650l#p81606

it would be good for road/dirt road only, useless for single track, technical stuff, just too heavy
    for first bike I would not go more than 250cc
    KDX would be good choice, get used for 2,5k drive for 2 years sell for 2,5k
    if can find with inverted forks upgrate your win

m2xrider

I checked quite a number of bikes over this weekend, but still came back empty handed.

1. 2003 Honda XR650L
    This bike has have 20000KM and asking for around CAD 4000. It got a lot of add-on, a bigger gas tank, metal hand guard, metal skid plate. But the bike is very beaten up, scratches everywhere and showing rusts. Previous, previous owner is a 6'4" guy and he cramped up the suspension much higher than the stock hight. With 5'10", I couldn't even upright and sit on it. Totally hopeless !!!

2. 2002 KTM 640 LC4
    Before I saw it, I though it was a dual-sport, but it turned out is a supermotorad. The seller said I can put a set of off road tires on it, but the rim size is 17". I tried it, feels very good but it vibrates like hell. A KTM is a KTM, all the components are high grade stuffs. The seller is asking for CAD 5500 firm, has 4000KM on it only. I heard KTM requires a lot of maintenance and is not as practical as Japanese dual sport.

My mind is still with Honda XR650L, I went to a dealership and sit on it. I can tip toe on its stock hight of 37" seat height. I am debating whether I shall buy a new as finding a right used one is so fustrating and has so much uncertainty. Is more expensive to have a new one, but might be worth it if I am going to keep if for long long time. Any thoughts??