what is a good dual sport / trail bike...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is a good dual sport / trail bike...

what is a good dual sport / trail bike...

I've got 2 bikes, and I know how to ride them, so this isn't a "noob" question of should I get an R6 or a gixxer or 250 ?...

I'm just curious what is a good dual sport / trail bike? I'm thinking up to 250cc would be good... I don't need a 400cc or a 650cc ... I'm not going mud bogging, long distance on the trail, nor climbing hills and I don't need to go uber fast either, so I don't need the latest greatest 400cc motard style bike... I was looking more along the lines of maybe like a TW200, XT225, KLX250 CRF230 that size / type of bike... just to use to play around in the dirt from time to time...

recommendations or comments on any is welcome, thanks.

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Re: what is a good dual sport / trail bike...

Go get a 1998 CR500... that should do the trick
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Rz350rider

go get a 1981 RM125...lots of fun

I have not ridden alot of dirt bikes, but I have ridden the TW200 when I did the motorcycle course back in '96. Great bike, love the huge back tire. There is a whole forum devoted to the TW, its a great bike and pretty rock solid from what I have read about it. I am thinking of getting a dirty bike for trail riding in the next few years, and I think I would be look at a tw myself.

most of the bikes mentioned in this thread so far are HARDLY even dual-sportable, in my opinion.

Honestly, you wouldnt be happy with a crf230 they are just tooo small. There is no chance of really being able to ride that on a road safely.

If you don't feel like going up to a 650 (which can rock road) you could do somthing like an XR400, that is, if you can find one.

They are air cooled, and pretty much bulletproof. They totally shine off-road for trail riding, not too much to handle the like XR650, but still have enough "umph" to get you through some sand pitts without bogging down too bad and also would be more ridable on the street.

Just my opinion though.
    A couple guys from the Ontario Dual Sport Club love their XR650's, but I know some people from the group that use the XR400 and he isn't a super small guy. lol (I know he is reading this right now lol)
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

If you are looking for a dual sport, the under 250cc category is price competitive but not really performance oriented. The CRF230 is probably a good choice. Like all the bikes in this category, it is a little on the heavy side, but stone axe reliable. I haven't seen the Yamaha XT250 yet, but if it is similar to the TTR 230, it is pretty much the same as the Honda. I would stay away from the TW200. The fat tires make the handling vague. Check the ODSC (Ontario Dual Sport Club) web site for used bikes. I know you want something sub - 250cc, but a used Suzuki DR 400 would be a good choice if the price was right.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Quote Originally Posted by BrianZ View Post
    If you are looking for a dual sport, the under 250cc category is price competitive but not really performance oriented. The CRF230 is probably a good choice. Like all the bikes in this category, it is a little on the heavy side, but stone axe reliable. I haven't seen the Yamaha XT250 yet, but if it is similar to the TTR 230, it is pretty much the same as the Honda. I would stay away from the TW200. The fat tires make the handling vague. Check the ODSC (Ontario Dual Sport Club) web site for used bikes. I know you want something sub - 250cc, but a used Suzuki DR 400 would be a good choice if the price was right.
    +1
    Dr400 or XR400 since the XRs can be picked up kinda cheap now I wouldnt go less than 400 for dual sporting use

either go DRZ400 or go for a KTM. If you go cheap or get something too small, it will just cost you in the end when you have to quickly upgrade
    Yellow fever!!! I love Japanese........Bikes!!!

I'm kinda confused. If you want a dirt/trail bike that you never take on the road then go with a CRF230, TT-R230 or TT-R250. That would mean you intend to trailer it to the trails. It should be green plated, which is a $35 one-time fee.
    Do not get a motocross bike. They are really clamping down on the noise thing and mx gearing and power curves are not designed for trail riding.
    If you want something that you are going to ride to the trails then it has to be blue plated and certifiable with lights, horn and dirt tires that are approved for road use. That's where you need a 400.
    Apparently they are clamping down on dirt bike conversions for dual sport use so don't buy a dirt bike and think you can put on a lighting package and a horn. That is not allowed anymore. If you get one that is already blue plated then your okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketcase View Post
    I'm kinda confused. If you want a dirt/trail bike that you never take on the road then go with a CRF230, TT-R230 or TT-R250. That would mean you intend to trailer it to the trails. It should be green plated, which is a $35 one-time fee.
    Do not get a motocross bike. They are really clamping down on the noise thing and mx gearing and power curves are not designed for trail riding.
    If you want something that you are going to ride to the trails then it has to be blue plated and certifiable with lights, horn and dirt tires that are approved for road use. That's where you need a 400.
    Apparently they are clamping down on dirt bike conversions for dual sport use so don't buy a dirt bike and think you can put on a lighting package and a horn. That is not allowed anymore. If you get one that is already blue plated then your okay.

Get one of the above noted bikes and you will be trading for something bigger fast. the 230's and 225's are dogs.
    Yellow fever!!! I love Japanese........Bikes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SVHenn View Post
    Get one of the above noted bikes and you will be trading for something bigger fast. the 230's and 225's are dogs.
    +1

I agree. Stay away from them. The 250s are much better, not even in the same class. ie CRF250X

As for making them street legal, technically an ontario law was passed in September saying you cannot do it. There are some people that are getting it done, you just need to look around. Shop for a place that will do it first, then buy

CRF 230 is not a dual sport and cannot be plated for the steet. They are super reliable but like others have mentioned you will be bored of it after the first ride. I know I was.They are dog slow.

^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.honda.ca/MCPE/Motorcycle/...Model=CRF230L8

I would get a DRZ400 myself.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

I just wish people would update / delete their Ads on Kijiji and GTAM when they sell.

Of 15 emails I've sent, 13 are Sold already

Cool Re: what is a good dual sport / trail bike...

That depends on how much you want to spend!

Best all round bike on the market for everything and cheap is the DRZ 400s 02 and newer .Its a little heavy for a dirtbike and alittle small for a good street bike.Everything else is either to street worthy or to dirt worthy .Biggest problem is tires .If you get good offroad tires they dont last long on the street .Good onroad tires means anything slippery and your riding on ice when its wet in the trail

Ya, ya, ya. Bigger is better. Blah, blah, blah. I have owned EVERY dual sport (street legal) that has been available in the last 15 years. If you're talking trail riding, technical single track, you cannot go bigger than a 250. You will be exhausted in an hour, and unable to load the bike to go home. But that's another story. Street use the DRZ400s is the smallest you should go, but it will still be SCREAMING everywhere you ride it onroad, without a sprocket change, which then makes it terrible offroad. I used to have three times the fun on my wife's street plated DRZ250, than on my heavily modded DRZ400E. After sinking two grand into that bike, and realizing the riot the 250 was, I sold the 400. Best to find some guys with a selection of makes/models, and get them to let you ride them around the trucks a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    I've got 2 bikes, and I know how to ride them, so this isn't a "noob" question of should I get an R6 or a gixxer or 250 ?...

I'm just curious what is a good dual sport / trail bike? I'm thinking up to 250cc would be good... I don't need a 400cc or a 650cc ... I'm not going mud bogging, long distance on the trail, nor climbing hills and I don't need to go uber fast either, so I don't need the latest greatest 400cc motard style bike... I was looking more along the lines of maybe like a TW200, XT225, KLX250 CRF230 that size / type of bike... just to use to play around in the dirt from time to time...

recommendations or comments on any is welcome, thanks.
    NOOB!!!
    My dirtbike has slicks

all above mentioned bikes under 250cc are garbage, sorry
    what is your budget and mechanical knolege?
    newer xr250r (not L) is cheap and easy all around, suspencion sucks thow, I sold 2003 for this reason
    got 2006 crf250x, blueplated it, sweet ride, but way more complecated machine (2006 and up)
    for tracks only I ride cr250 recomend 2002-2007
    if money not an issue, try ktm 200, 2T
    good luck

I was looking at the Yamaha XT250... I like it because it's short enough I can touch.. I'm not looking for a hardcore off road bike,,, Just one to do some exploring easy trails and dirt roads....