Bikes First Oil Change

Thread: Bikes First Oil Change

Bikes First Oil Change

I bought a brand new 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250.

It's time for its first ever oil change. I'll be having the oil change done through the authorized Kawasaki dealership from which I purchased the bike from.

What can I expect to be charged for this first oil change? Thanks for the replies ppl!

Re: Bikes First Oil Change

The first service should be much, much more than a simple oil change. They should go over the entire bike and tighten, adjust, and check virtually everything.

Check your owners manual regarding what the 1000 km service entails.

And if they do the full service, as they should, expect ~$350.

p.s. If it's only an oil change you're doing, you can do it yourself for less than $35 (12 for filter, 20 for oil) in about 20 minutes.
    Last edited by beverage; 05-26-2008 at 08:45 PM.

Shouldn't be more than $150-$200 max for first 1000km service.

Quote Originally Posted by jdepp View Post
    Shouldn't be more than $150-$200 max for first 1000km service.
    Just checked my first service bill. Came to $160.95 including tax. Felt like more, which is why I said ~$350, but I guess I was wrong!

Thanks for the replies guys. Man, I love this forum.

If I were to do my own oil changes, wouldn't that void my factory warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by 123justin View Post

No you just need to keep your receipts for some sort of proof that you did change the oil. I always get my filters from the dealership and get the oil somewhere else.

Burlington during the week / Pickering most weekends

What can I expect to be charged for this first oil change? Thanks for the replies ppl!

Do it yourself. I just took mine to my buddies. Paid $30 for oil and filter and gave my buddy $30. He adjusted my change and went over the whole bike. $160 is alot of coin for a glorified oil change. I could've done it myself; but it always helps to have a motorcycle mechanic as a friend!!

Quote Originally Posted by beverage View Post
    The first service should be much, much more than a simple oil change. They should go over the entire bike and tighten, adjust, and check virtually everything.

Check your owners manual regarding what the 1000 km service entails.

And if they do the full service, as they should, expect ~$350.

p.s. If it's only an oil change you're doing, you can do it yourself for less than $35 (12 for filter, 20 for oil) in about 20 minutes.
    $350!!!!! That's funny!!!

Do your own oil change, couldn't be easier, it is a 15 minute job

1- put bike on center/rear stand.
    2- remove drain bolt under the engine case (you can't miss it) - make sure to put a pan under it.
    3- Remove filter, normally there is a wrench for it. Some bikes have a filter cover just remove the bolts, and it should slide out.
    4- let the oil drain for a few minutes, make sure you don't get any on the tires.
    5- Put the oil drain bolt back on. (good idea to change the crush washer if it has one)
    6- fill up filter with oil, rub a little oil on the gasket. Put back on the bike.
    7- Now time to fill it up with oil, read the owners manual and fill a little less than what it suggests, make sure the bike standing straight, and fill to line. you might need someone to hold it up for you to check the sight-glass.

Make sure to torque the bolt according to spec. you don't want to ruin the threads, it will cost you a pretty penny to replace the oil pan. Go for a little ride, park, wait 5 min, recheck the oil. And you are good to go.

After you do it the first time you will know how simple it is. if i missed something anyone feel free to add. on full faired bikes you would probably have to take one side off, probably a few screws and it should pull out. If you have a naked bike you would be lucky.

Nas
    FOR SALE:
    2003 Kawasaki Z1000 $5000
    plus TONS of bike parts..... www.masalma.com

Floats like a butterfly, & stings like a Z!

Did my own oil change 1st time in spring with help from this board. Really simple, no brainer. Anyone can do it.

Again, I appreciate the quick and informative replies.

So just to make sure, doing my own oil changes will not void my warranty?

I plan to do my own oil changes after the first one if doing my own oil changes don't void my warranty. Thankfully I have a friend who lets me use his garage and all his top of the line vehicle cleaning products. It's nice to have a friend who has a nice S2000 who knows how to take care of a vehicle.

Again, I appreciate the quick and informative replies.

So just to make sure, doing my own oil changes will not void my warranty?

I plan to do my own oil changes after the first one if doing my own oil changes don't void my warranty. Thankfully I have a friend who lets me use his garage and all his top of the line vehicle cleaning products. It's nice to have a friend who has a nice S2000 who knows how to take care of a vehicle.
    Just keep the receipt for the oil and filter. If you have 1000k; just check your chain; adjust it if necessary. Now if you want to start checking all the bolts on your bike to see if they are tight( supposedly done in the first service; Ya okay) then go for it. Look at your manual what it says to do; and do it if you like. The most important thing is the oil and filter. Have fun and buy your buddy some beer with all that money you saved!!!

Some shops are charging as much as $225.00 for 1st service on the 250's which is ridiculous. Others as low as around $100.00.

Just do it yourself, keep your receipts and log the service details with date, km's at time of service etc. You'll save some $$ and get to know your bike better

Doesn't the first service on the Ninja 250 includes a valve adjustment?