Crf250x

Thread: Crf250x

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Crf250x

What's the opinion on on the CRF250X
    I understand the tranny is a wider range than the R. Better Cooling and just better suited to the trails. Also i would assume the wider range tranny would be better suited to running some Supermoto with it.

I have a opportunity to buy a almost new '07 with maybe 15 hours on it from a neighbor who's getting into ATVs at a great price.

How's the Maintenance on these ? I used to overhaul 2 strokes in my sleep but have zero experience with the 4 strokes,,, How do they compare ?

I've been looking at a dual sport but with the exception of the KTM 450 EXC-R (too expensive) or the Huskies,, (No Local Support) they all seen to be too much of a compromise
    Last edited by CBRJOHN; 05-25-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Re: Crf250x

The 250F's are great, thats what I ride, the only negative is the cost of rebuild and the cost of maintnace. And when they blow up....they BLOW UP!!! I think my fave bike for trail riding is a good old 250 2 stroke. You can stick a light on them, they always have power but wont give you the arm pump of a 450F and you can rebuild tem in the garage for peanuts.
    Now the reason I have a 250F is because on a track with jumps and stuff, the I just dont feel as comfy.
    Yellow fever!!! I love Japanese........Bikes!!!

The 250 R would be better suited for supermoto, you'll be spending a lot of time in 1 gear with the 250X's wide ratio gearbox and they just don't have enough jam to 1 gear the kind of gearing you need to run for supermoto.

They are still an excellent bike however, maintenance isn't too bad if you keep after them, check the valves every 10 hours or so, change the oil/filter every second ride an it'll live for a long time.

They are as good as any other 250F's on the market. I love 4-Stroke MX bikes but my only complaint is the longevity of the top end, and its a lot more expensive and complex than a 2 stroke to replace

If there is actually 15 hours on the motor chances are that its in good shape but ask him how many times he's had to reshim. If its more than say 2 you may be looking at a top end soon.

The thing that kills these motors is dust. Just make sure to clean and oil your air filter after every ride as the dust does a real number on the valves and seats. I also change my oil and filter after every ride and check the valve clearance after every 2 rides.

I've gotten as little as 20 and as much as 80 hours out of a set of valves

Thanks for your input,,, Sounds like I'm better off just picking up a 2-Stroke. At least I'm familiar with them and a overhaul only takes a few hours and the parts are cheap and I've already got the tools.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    Thanks for your input,,, Sounds like I'm better off just picking up a 2-Stroke. At least I'm familiar with them and a overhaul only takes a few hours and the parts are cheap and I've already got the tools.
    If your looking for a Honda 2 stroke I have one i would consider selling...

05 CR250, FMF Pipe, Recent Top end ( less than 1HR ) Renthal Bars, Recent Chain and Sprockets

Thanks for your input,,, Sounds like I'm better off just picking up a Cheap 2-Stroke.
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by 23 View Post
    05 CR250, FMF Pipe, Recent Top end ( less than 1HR ) Renthal Bars, Recent Chain and Sprockets

My Wife just got her M1 so I'm having to buy her a bike as well so my new to will have to be low budget for this year

Fixed

My Wife just got her M1 so I'm having to buy her a bike as well so my new to will have to be low budget for this year
    PM sent

CR250 2 stroke, thats the best option, I rode one all day in the ganny last week, made me think about trading in my 2006 RMZ 250F!
    Yellow fever!!! I love Japanese........Bikes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SVHenn View Post
    CR250 2 stroke, thats the best option, I rode one all day in the ganny last week, made me think about trading in my 2006 RMZ 250F!
    Yeah but you can't com[are these 2 bikes lol, completely different classes!

As for the main question though, the 250X is a sweeet bike! As mentioned, for racing I would go with the R version, as it has a lighter flywheel I think too so it will rev up a bit faster. The X Series are great for offroad though, you can "putt" around slower without it stalling, which makes climbing over obsticles much easier and way less tiresome.

Oh and the X has e-start. Don't have to worry about dropping your bike and flooding it
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    I've gotten as little as 20 and as much as 80 hours out of a set of valves
    You actually wore out a set of valves? Was that on an X or an R? Race conditions or trail?What was the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Snobike Mike View Post
    You actually wore out a set of valves? Was that on an X or an R? Race conditions or trail?What was the cost?
    It was an R and it was mostly racing. I've had the same experience with an YZF and RM-Z's. They are pretty much the same in terms of maintenance.

After you have shimmed twice its time. The valv coating and the seats are pretty much toast.

Cost wise its close to $1k to do it right. You also need to get the valve seats recut.

It helps if you clean your filter after every ride and don't rev it like a 2 stroke.

I've been talking to a few dealers and doing a bit of digging. From what I understand the CRF250X has about 25hp where the R has about 9hp more. The R has a different cam, rev 1000rpm more and has WAY more maintenance requirements. The X also has quieter muffler, wider ratio tranny , Kickstand and lights.

The feedback I've been getting from Honda Dealer Mechanics is the R is very maintenance intensive,, the X in trail use has reasonable requirements, The Valve issue seems to be a ongoing problem with these but not as much of a issue on the X.. But either way there seems to be a lot of issues with the titanium valves on these that switching to Kibble White Stainless valves once the stock ones are at their limit or the coating has worn off seems to remedy it.

Anyone know of any issues with the '04s other than the valves? Supposedly just trail ridden with kids and has a on-road ownership and blue plate even though it's never been road ridden. It's still got the original tires with over 50% left so it doesn't sound like it's seen too much use.
    Last edited by CBRJOHN; 05-31-2008 at 09:10 PM.

I have an '04 250x, bought it used in Spring of '06 and it has been virtually kick and go. Other than the regular oil changes, and some new rubber, it has been a fantastic bike. It is great in the woods, next to no clutch in the tight stuff, the wide ratio tranny is great for that.
    To me, the only down fall is the weight, dry its 230lbs, beefier than a 450...and me at 120lbs, has a hard time picking it up when I toss in an off-camber area.
    I also have had some seat time on an '06 250R this year (my man's dads bike) and in direct comp. I would be on the R, but only because of my small statue vs. the bikes. If I could have the R with the wide ratio tranny it woudl be mint.

The X also has ... Kickstand ....
    You beat me to it. My 250R is a ton of fun too but I wish I had that kickstand on the trails, and the electric start for that matter!

In wide-open spaces, it becomes necessary to do a 10-inch deep burnout and hope the bike stands up on its own

Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    You beat me to it. My 250R is a ton of fun too but I wish I had that kickstand on the trails, and the electric start for that matter!

In wide-open spaces, it becomes necessary to do a 10-inch deep burnout and hope the bike stands up on its own
    HAHAHA I had to do that so many times yesterday i was really wanted to just toss the bike and not care what happened to it...

lol