Oil Filters: Purolator PureOne - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil Filters: Purolator PureOne

Re: Oil Filters: Purolator PureOne

If I had a sport bike, only oil filters I'd use is Bosch/Mann, or OEM.

Fram, Purolator, Napa, pennzoil and I think K&N are made by Champion Labs or Purolator.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    If I had a sport bike, only oil filters I'd use is Bosch/Mann, or OEM.

Fram, Purolator, Napa, pennzoil and I think K&N are made by Champion Labs or Purolator.
    Sure they are.....

Fram makes Fram.
    Purolator makes Purolator.

Fram also makes : Pennzoil, Penske, Castrol, & Quaker State oil filters are made by Fram.
    K&N filters are made by Hi-Flo
    Hastings (marketed as AMS), and Champion (marketed as Mobil 1 and Bosch) are made by Purolator.

This is my source. - http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html
    What is yours?

Yours To Discover. New Techno Old School Retro. The Yamaha FZ1.

I like Fram for my cars, they're cheap at Walmart
    I'v heard many good things about the Pure one for motorcycles including it being a cheaper alternative to OEM (in the US) but could never find them here in Canada until now but at the price listed here its not an alternative for me. I'll stick with OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    What is yours?

Personal Preference

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Personal Preference
    Facts are better

if there is enough interest in the following bosh filters pm me, i can get them for a reasonable price. Bosch filter are now made by purolator....and Bosch owns purolator.

Bosh 3323 3.25" long
    Bosh 3300 2.5" long
    Last edited by GP_RZ; 12-10-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GP_RZ View Post
    if there is enough interest in the following bosh filters pm me, i can get them for a reasonable price. Bosch filter are now made by purolator....and Bosch owns purolator.

Bosh 3323 3.25" long
    Bosh 3300 2.5" long

Why go through any trouble at all for regular purolator/bosch filters?

Only the pure one filters are worth any effort. Regular purolator /bosch filters are just... well.... regular!

I hear you but I think that these would be above OEM's and Fram and probably better then the K&N branded Hi-flos and still cheaper then the walmart supertech fs here in Canada and perform better. Now that these are made by purolator and not Champion labs anymore, the filter medium is on par with the Mobil 1 M1-108 (semi-synthetic) so I think that would be above your regular oil filter!

Why go through any trouble at all for regular purolator/bosch filters?

Only the pure one filters are worth any effort. Regular purolator /bosch filters are just... well.... regular!

I hear you but I think that these would be above OEM's and Fram and probably better then the K&N branded Hi-flos and still cheaper then the walmart supertech fs here in Canada and perform better. Now that these are made by purolator and not Champion labs anymore, the filter medium is on par with the Mobil 1 M1-108 (semi-synthetic) so I think that would be above your regular oil filter!

If the reason is price... I'm all for it. That's always a good reason.

yup for $8 shipped you cant go wrong.

If the reason is price... I'm all for it. That's always a good reason.

yup for $8 shipped you cant go wrong.
    I pay less than that for my filters already.
    I'll let you in on a little secret....

Go to the motovan catalogue http://motovan.com/common/cat/2008mo...08moto_en.html
    Page 610 has the price list, and pages 611 to 619 have the application list.
    Figure out what filter fits your bike
    Call up your local dealer that deals with Motovan as a supplier, and give them the part number to order. (many many local dealers deal with Motovan).

I think Parts Canada has the same parts listed for the same price, but I think the Motovan catalogue is easier to work with.

I've been using EMGO filters for a while now.
    20-310 is the PN for the $6.99 oil filter I use.
    318-138 is the PN for the $8.99 Hi-Flo filter I could use if I thought $2.00 more meant more quality - which I don't.
    20-5011 is the PN for the $13.99 K&N oil filter I will never waste my money on.

Paying more than the list price of the EMGO or Hi-Flo to get an OEM quality filter is a waste of $$$

The prices listed in the catalogue are the CANADIAN RETAIL MSRP prices.
    They are often negotiable at 10 - 20% off if you are placing a larger order - not just one oil filter.
    Last edited by djltoronto; 12-11-2008 at 10:40 AM.

thanks for the heads up but the Bosch is still cheaper then the EMGO @ $8.99 part# 10-82240 from Motovan

thanks for the heads up but the Bosch is still cheaper then the EMGO @ $8.99 part# 10-82240 from Motovan
    Then your Bosch deal is a pretty sweet one.

Sorry guys read most of the thread but not all....and I think I am missing something here....the reason people went with the Purolator is that is was as good as or better than the OEM but considerably cheaper.....if it costs the same or more...why would people still buy it? Sure we can use the ..."it filters better and so the oil is cleaner" argument....but come on, this is just so you can feel better....once the bike has 20K or more or you have had it for 3-4 seasons... you will have traded the dam thing in or changed it with something else and it won't matter.....

The whole thing started because the OEM was charging crazy prices for the oil filters.....If the filter costs me more, I am going back to OEM....funny no one mentioned WIX here....there available locally for about $5.00 and are supposed to be as good as the SuperTech. Am I missing something here????

Quote Originally Posted by Trekie2 View Post
    Sorry guys read most of the thread but not all....and I think I am missing something here....the reason people went with the Purolator is that is was as good as or better than the OEM but considerably cheaper.....if it costs the same or more...why would people still buy it? Sure we can use the ..."it filters better and so the oil is cleaner" argument....but come on, this is just so you can feel better....once the bike has 20K or more or you have had it for 3-4 seasons... you will have traded the dam thing in or changed it with something else and it won't matter.....

The whole thing started because the OEM was charging crazy prices for the oil filters.....If the filter costs me more, I am going back to OEM....funny no one mentioned WIX here....there available locally for about $5.00 and are supposed to be as good as the SuperTech. Am I missing something here????
    I know what ya mean...If I'm buying an aftermarket filter I would expect to pay less. Wix was mentioned a couple of times, I think someone said the're good and someone said their not. I sometimes use a Wix 'cause it's the only one I can find to fit that is oversized, and I was under the impression that they were good. If the filters are the same price, I will still use the Harley brand (anybody know who makes those?) Harley recently upgraded the filter for the Sportster, but they ain"t cheap, I've paid between $12.99 - $14.99 for the little buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekie2 View Post

Everyone may have their own agenda, but I was under the impression that purolator PURE ONE filters were sought after cause they are the best, and cost was reasonable.

I don't think that anyone seeks the pure one cause it's as good or better than OEM, but rather cause it's far superior in some people opinions.
    http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

I use whatever filter is cheapest and most available.

Yours To Discover. New Techno Old School Retro. The Yamaha FZ1.

Everyone may have their own agenda, but I was under the impression that purolator PURE ONE filters were sought after cause they are the best, and cost was reasonable.

I don't think that anyone seeks the pure one cause it's as good or better than OEM, but rather cause it's far superior in some people opinions.
    http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

I use whatever filter is cheapest and most available.
    Yes, this is true but also to top this off, its suppose to be cheaper but since the pure one isn't readily available in Canada it isn't cheaper therefore I may as well stay with OEM or a cheaper inferior product but who wants to do that. (beside dj)?