159km over the Speed Limit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 159km over the Speed Limit

159km over the Speed Limit

The cops on duty probably prevented the deaths of four kids under the age of 18. This story has a creepy feel to it in that if the police didn't do their duty, I could have imagined their car joined together with a 2oo year old Oak tree. Trust me, I know of what I speak. The tree wins every time.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/427387

May 19, 2008 11:01 AM
    Precious Yutangco
    STAFF REPORTER

A Barrie-area teenager’s license has been suspended after he was pulled over for driving 239 kilometres per hour in an 80-kilometre zone.

Huronia West OPP were on a routine patrol at 1:50 a.m. this morning when they saw a black 2000 Lincoln LLS travelling north on Highway 26, north of Barrie. It was travelling 159 kilometres over the posted limit.

The police gave chase and the car was finally pulled over on Belmont St. in the Village of Midhurst. There were four other people under the age of 18 in the car.

The Lincoln LLS can be equipped with a V6 or V8 engine and can reach up to 225 kilometres per hour.

Corey Graves, 17 from Springwater township, is charged with street racing, careless driving and failure to surrender his license. He will appear in Wasaga Beach Provincial court on June 17.

Under the new street racing legislation, his car has been seized and will be impounded for seven days. His license has been suspended.

Re: 159km over the Speed Limit

Huh?? The car was clocked doing 239 and yet later it talks about the car being able to do 225?

Are we sure that car can go that fast?

motley

Well isn't that............Precious..............a car that "....can reach up to 225 kilometres per hour" caught "......for driving 239 kilometres per hour". Hmmmm?

What the heck is a "kilometre" anyhow?

Stop reading that drivel.
    Last edited by motley; 05-19-2008 at 11:47 AM.

That story doesn't have a creepy feeling to it, it has a fishy feeling.

The police gave chase? so a car blew by them @ 239kph and they were able to catch up?

If all happened as was described I applaud the police for catching a moron and the kid should be taught a lesson but I dunno about that car reaching 239kph
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

hmm... I'd hate to see his insurance quotes in the future.. hahahahahaa...

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    That story doesn't have a creepy feeling to it, it has a fishy feeling.

The police gave chase? so a car blew by them @ 239kph and they were able to catch up?
    Those HEMI's they got must have some serious HP...

I had one of 'dem super-turbo-charged Tritons in my K-car.. It could go 240km/h and I regularly took it to 290.. Just ask the guy with a big growing nose, holding a radar gun!!!
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by mauroACM View Post
    Those HEMI's they got must have some serious HP...

lol ya but they'd have to exceed like 250 260ish to be able to catch up

If the radar gun screwed up and a good lawyer can prove the car doesn't go that fast, that kid gets let off.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Pfft! My 92 "ground scraping, Airplane winged, woodbridge cruising" Honda Civic Hatchback easily went 300km/h...and 1/4 mile in 6 seconds...oh wait, that was how long they were cool for...nevermind!

Considering it takes a single wire clipped or a resister modified on a '99-2000 Suzuki Hayabusa to over-ride the factory limiter, i consider it in the realm of possibility that a car like this could be similarly modified.

Of course, it'll be up to the police to provide the burden of proof, and the car owner to prove otherwise, if faced with this discrepancy in a court of law..

Either way, the careless driving charge should stick.
    '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - '88 Hannigan Comet chair

Quote Originally Posted by HyRyze View Post
    hmm... I'd hate to see his insurance quotes in the future.. hahahahahaa...
    I would prefer to hear the phone call home to mom and dad asking them to pick him up because his license was suspensed and car seized for the week.

As you said, the burden of proof is on the Crown. However, the kid will still have to spend a G for towing and impound even if found not-guilty.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

that is kind of messed that the cop was able to catch up. and another thing, i thought cops in ontario whernt alowed to enter a persuit if the vichle is going over 200 because it indangers the lives of others on the road who might get hit.

Three times the posted limit....Hmmmmm.
    Never heard of Dangerous Driving?
    No No, that will never do, crank him for "Due care and attention" and STREET RACING.

Quote Originally Posted by wannaferrari View Post
    that is kind of messed that the cop was able to catch up. and another thing, i thought cops in ontario whernt alowed to enter a persuit if the vichle is going over 200 because it indangers the lives of others on the road who might get hit.
    It was 2 in the morning on probably a deserted stretch of farmland. The parents are probably going to foot the towing bill, fines and what not since he's under 18 or he rots in jail for not paying the fine. Insurance wise? Kid doesn't care since he's most likely a secondary driver under his parents.

The worst thing the kid will get is probably a beating from his parents. Oh wait we can't beat our kids anymore or they'll ask for a divorce.

Anscoop

I used to own an Lincoln LS. (V8 version)
    First of all, you can't really mod it to get more power from a turbo/supercharger (other than NOS) because the compressions is already quite high.

Second of all, he never went 239; especially with other people in the car.

would going down a steep hill make it go beyond it's speed capabilities?

the wind ristance at 200+ would probaly equal out the down hill

He must of had it in Newphie overdrive, clutch in or neutral rolling down a hill. Now I wanna break it down, cops have radios, Canadian cops tend not to chase people for we don;t like it when the phelon crashes apparently its the cops fault. Thumbs down to that idea. But they got him, insurance yeah hes toast, a good cincinnati back hander yeah, but what were the other 3 in the car sayin? I'd like to know

Now let's watch them get off because they were never in a car that was never manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by Anscoop View Post
    I used to own an Lincoln LS. (V8 version)
    First of all, you can't really mod it to get more power from a turbo/supercharger (other than NOS) because the compressions is already quite high.
    Yeah, that makes sense - you can't put a turbo or supercharger, but you can put nitrous. You can put a forced induction set up on a high compression engine just fine if you respect the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Anscoop
    Second of all, he never went 239; especially with other people in the car.
    They could if there was a chip and blower in it.

Nice find, bepositive. I guess those kids were trying to be tree huggers?
    Andrew
    '05 CB919 and '04 CB599 shared with the missus (Jenerator)