2008 wr250r - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 wr250r

Re: 2008 wr250r

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    you're correct, this thread is about dual sport bikes, they're not Hi performance etc, but they still require jetting to get them right, most are jetted so poorly out of the dealer and have the excelerator pump dumping too much fuel at them, you've gotta tinker to make them work.

Even an open loop FI system is going to be far superior for the average dual sport rider than all but a carb that is jetted absolutely perfect.

The MX and off road industry is significantly behind the times in this area.

My post is a thread jack because I don't agree with you??

You offered some information, which I felt was misleading and incorrect, so I provided additional information based on a fairly significant amount of experience.

Its up to others to decide which answer is correct for their application.

the bottom line is, if Carbs were better, fuel injection would not be as prevailent.
    Your info is accurate, however irrelevant to this conversation!

I said for most people it shouldn't matter. For most people FI shouldn't be a deciding factor on buying a DIRT bike. That is all I am saying. Most people want reliability and low maintenance for their first couple dirtbikes, which XR's can offer them, while being pretty decent bikes for dual sport use.

If people are truly interested in dual-sporting, they should check out the Ontario Dual Sport Club at www.odsc.on.ca and find out what kinda rides they will be doing, and make a decison based on that.

I can tell you first hand the guys with the XRs in the previous years completed almost every rally (Paris to Dacre) and the XRs ran strong. Even the air cooled XR400's. There were a lot of KTMs floating around the last couple seasons but those people had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. It was great watching the feuds between them

Hopefully some ODSC members will chime in here and share their opinions of the XRs
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

I'm not sure if that'll be the case.

There are new technologies that are making 2 strokes more environmentally friendly than 4 strokes, and more fuel efficient as well, its just a matter of the technology being made available.

Several manufacturers have been using a form of direct fuel injection on 2stroke outboards for several years.

Bombardier has had semi-direct fuel injection on their sleds since 04, this was a big step in the right direction, 2 stroke power with 4 stroke fuel economy and emmisions.

as of 2008, they now offer direct fuel injection.

This means no fuel is scavenged from the crank through the transfer ports, it is injected at high pressure directly into the combustion chamber AFTER the piston has closed both ports completely. I've ridden several of them, and the motors are brilliant and sound like nothing else.

these systems COULD make their way to off road bikes, which would probably put the 2 stroke back on top.
    I rode a MX-Z with the 600 H.O. SDI last winter, It is a brilliant engine. Amazing power and it's about 3 times easier on fuel than my 4 year old carbed sled and makes twice the power in the process. When you look at how compact a engine it is I can't see any reason why it couldn't be packaged for bikes...

It should be interesting if the rumors that BRP is going to get back into bikes with the Can Am Brand come true. A smaller version of The new E-TEC Direct Injection 2 stroke would make a great choice.

The direct injection is freakin awesome.. I could only wish that they could bring back all the 2-stroke mayhem... Could you imagine new technology with a 2-stroke in there???? Funny enough, isn't the only closed loop fuel injection bike the cbr 125??? Why can't they make others??? It truly would make things easier... Is Yamaha's wr250r the only dual sport with fuel injection??? RECIP, you said Suzuki has a fuel injected dual sport??? is it in the 650cc??? AMP33D Your insight is very much appreciated even if the thread did go off course
    Never allow yourself to outrun your guardian angel

The Suzuki Fuelie bike is the RMZ450, their front line MX racer.

The fact they have started with the race bike means they're going to use the race bikes as the development platform and let it trickle down to other lines.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see a fuelie dual sport or similar offering shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by CROMAG View Post
    The direct injection is freakin awesome.. I could only wish that they could bring back all the 2-stroke mayhem... Could you imagine new technology with a 2-stroke in there???? Funny enough, isn't the only closed loop fuel injection bike the cbr 125??? Why can't they make others??? It truly would make things easier... Is Yamaha's wr250r the only dual sport with fuel injection??? RECIP, you said Suzuki has a fuel injected dual sport??? is it in the 650cc??? AMP33D Your insight is very much appreciated even if the thread did go off course
    Check out ski-doo's E-Tec Technology, it may swing some things back to 2-strokers if it goes over well. Very efficient.

http://www.ski-doo.com/brphtml/skido...h/en/Index.htm
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Check out ski-doo's E-Tec Technology, it may swing some things back to 2-strokers if it goes over well. Very efficient.

http://www.ski-doo.com/brphtml/skido...h/en/Index.htm

Those voice coil injectors are messed up... 500psi Why would they ever want to remove the smell of a 2-stroke

The Suzuki Fuelie bike is the RMZ450, their front line MX racer.

The fact they have started with the race bike means they're going to use the race bikes as the development platform and let it trickle down to other lines.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see a fuelie dual sport or similar offering shortly.
    So it may be better to wait and save the extra money for something bigger thats fuel injected

The Husqvarna Supermoto and Enduros are fuel injected this year. I have heard that the new owner (BMW) is planning on jumping through all the legal hoops to make them road legal in Canada for 2009.

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/
    Semper ubi sub ubi

blue2006

I'd really like to get a dual sport also, so starting searching google and calling some bike shops. It seems that the XR650Ls are pretty much sold out in GTA except for some crated ones. That led me to the yamaha wr250r. I went to look at one yesterday (calling first a week ago) as I thought they had aleast 1 setup but nope, so I couldnt see it in person. I love the XR line, but fuel injection sounds awsome. I'm with you man, I'm not sure if I can wait for a newly designed XR with FI though..

We need a strong, dual sport, fuel injected model under 500cc, for the better insurance bracket.

I want a street super motard!!
    Dem man nah realize de way I do de technology way don't I identify dey oola dem idiot sound bwoy already ya nah rude bwoy