2008 wr250r

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 wr250r

2008 wr250r

Anybody ride this thing yet??? I'm going to test ride it on June 1st Apparently it's in the same power to weight ratio ballpark as the XR650L witch is my other interest, unfortunatly the XR is not fuel injected.. It's supposed to be pretty well pure dirt bike with lights.. I know I gotta jump to get on the seat and my fear is that it won't have enough power
    Never allow yourself to outrun your guardian angel

Re: 2008 wr250r

who is putting on the test ride? can i go?!
    JUST RIDE IT.

Me too! Is this a demo ride or an appt you made?

I saw someone riding one today at the North Humberland Spring Trailride. Some nasty slippy trails today. He said he was loving it. Was an all blue model. I had only seen the white one until today.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

I've been doing some digging on a new dirt bike too.
    From what I can see the XR650L hasn't changed in 10 years,, Is as reliable as a rock and has great aftermarket support. they seem to be the best in the dirt of the 650s They're pretty cheap new and quite reasonable used. Weight is one of my concerns about the XR650L, At 346lb curb weight it's almost 100lbs heavier than the KTM. but also $4000 cheaper. I still don't understand why they don't Dual Sport the XR650R, Even with the street equipment it would be 50lbs lighter.

The WR250R is so new there's no support and it's expensive for a 250,, I think if I was going to spend that much I'd blow the bank and go for the KTM 530 but that's not gonna happen.

I'm leaning towards something on the larger end so it'll have enough power for blasting gravel roads and unopened road easements.

Tha being said, I've read good reviews on the KLX250S,,, a lot less than the Yammy as well

Decisions, Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post

Decisions, Decisions
    Thats what I'm stuck with... The new yami 250 is more expensive but I think your getting what you pay for... same power to weight as XR650 but less torque, the 250 is also far lighter so in the woods you can handle it easier... I hear you on the aftermarket goodies though.. It is also liquid cooled I'm so stuck I bounce between the dr400, XR650, and now the wr250... I do want pasing power on the highway but not at a cost of off road handling in rough terain.. No clue where I'll go yet but I'll find stuff.. I always do

The Demo day is June 1st at http://www.performanceshed.com/ Ot's all their Yamahas. To me it's worth the drive so I can further investigate what to get next. just wish that you could at least test ride enduros Anybody want to trade bikes with me for a ride?????

Quote Originally Posted by EasyD View Post
    Me too! Is this a demo ride or an appt you made?

I saw someone riding one today at the North Humberland Spring Trailride. Some nasty slippy trails today. He said he was loving it. Was an all blue model. I had only seen the white one until today.
    Hahahahah thats the best time to be out

Here's some specs from Total Motorcycle.com, some of the info was incomplete and some was US specs, so I did some supplementary filling in of Canadian model specs, hopefully I got most of it right, but this gives you a rough guide anyway.

2008 Yamaha WR250R:
    Suggested Retail $7,299 CDN
    Engine 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, single
    Compression Ratio 11.8:1
    Maximum Torque 2.5kg-m (17.7 ft-lb) @ 8,500 rpm
    Fuel Delivery Mikuni 38mm throttle body F.I.
    Transmission 6-speed
    Seat Height 930 mm (36.6")
    Dry Weight 125 kg (275 lb)
    Fuel Capacity 7.6 litres (1.7 Imp. gal.)
    Colour(s) Yamaha Blue

----------------------------------------
    2008 Suzuki DRZ-400S:

Suggested Retail $7299 CDN

Model Number DRZ400SK8
    Warranty 12 month unlimited mileage limited warranty.
    Engine 398cc, four-stroke, single cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid cooled
    Compression Ratio 11.3:1
    Fuel System Mikuni™ BSR36
    Transmission 5-speed
    Seat Height 935mm (36.8 in.)
    Dry Weight 132kg (291 lbs.)
    Fuel Tank Capacity 10 liter (2.64 gal.)
    Color Black, Blue

-----------------------------------

2009 Kawasaki KLX250S:

Engine: Four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
    Compression ratio: 11.0:1
    Cooling: Liquid
    Carburetion: Keihin CVK34
    Fuel Capacity: 7 litres
    Transmission: Six-speed
    Seat height: 34.8 in.
    Dry weight: 119kg
    Fuel capacity: TBD
    Color choices: Lime Green, Sunbeam Red
    MSRP: $5799 CDN
    Warranty: 12 months

Honda XR650L:

Engine Type: 644cc air-cooled dry-sump single-cylinder four-stroke
    Compression Ratio: 8.3:1
    Valve Train: SOHC; four-valve RFVC
    Carburetion: 42.5mm diaphragm-type constant-velocity
    Transmission: Five-speed
    Seat Height: 37.0 inches Dry Weight: 324 pounds
    Fuel Capacity: 2.8 gallons, including 0.6-gallon reserve
    - XR XR650L7 Red $7699 CDN
    ------------------------------------

2008 Husquvarna TE250:

6 speed
    Electronic Fuel Injection
    Liquid cooled
    weight: 235.9 lbs
    MSRP: $7399 CDN

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    I've been doing some digging on a new dirt bike too.
    From what I can see the XR650L hasn't changed in 10 years,, Is as reliable as a rock and has great aftermarket support. they seem to be the best in the dirt of the 650s They're pretty cheap new and quite reasonable used. Weight is one of my concerns about the XR650L, At 346lb curb weight it's almost 100lbs heavier than the KTM. but also $4000 cheaper. I still don't understand why they don't Dual Sport the XR650R, Even with the street equipment it would be 50lbs lighter.

The WR250R is so new there's no support and it's expensive for a 250,, I think if I was going to spend that much I'd blow the bank and go for the KTM 530 but that's not gonna happen.

I'm leaning towards something on the larger end so it'll have enough power for blasting gravel roads and unopened road easements.

Tha being said, I've read good reviews on the KLX250S,,, a lot less than the Yammy as well

Decisions, Decisions
    Actually, up until September 07 that is what we did...street legal the 650R. The 650L is a completely bike, and doesn't do anything as good as the R does.

You can't convert off-road bikes anymore here to on-road
    You guys can thank your provincial Liberals for that one.

My friend plated his 650R in August of last year just before the new law came into place, and he has NEVER been so happy since he got the bike. It still really hauuuuulsss offroad too. He can keep up with my on my...wait for it...wait for it....street-legalled CRF450

In my opinion, the best dual sport bikes are bikes that are made for off-road. Taking a on-road bike offroad never seems to go as smoothly

Regardless, as someone mentioned earlier, the 650 hasnt changed since the 90s! Actually, all the XR series of bikes are COMPLETELY BULLETPROOF, with tonns of aftermarket support. Unfortunately, they are slowly being phased...or should I say have been phased out by the new CRF series.

The CRFs are decent, but there are still minor issues out there with some of them :/

Go for the XR, who cares about fuel injection right now
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by CROMAG View Post
    The Demo day is June 1st at http://www.performanceshed.com/ Ot's all their Yamahas. To me it's worth the drive so I can further investigate what to get next. just wish that you could at least test ride enduros Anybody want to trade bikes with me for a ride?????
    St Onge in Barrie has the Yamaha Demo Day there on May 23rd, I'm gonna check it out there.

http://www.stongerecreation.com/events.php

Quote Originally Posted by amp3d View Post

Go for the XR, who cares about fuel injection right now
    Spoken like someone that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Everyone should care about fuel injection, Carbs are antique equipment and are junk compared to fuel injection.

Ride a properly tuned fuel injected bike and you'll understand why.

I've got one of the best CRF450 supermoto racers in the country and after doing laps on an RMZ supermoto racer on the weekend, I'll be going to suzuki if honda doesn't go fuelie in 09.

With a carb, you've got a couple of circuits to jet, and kind hope for the best, you can change ignition curves, but this has to be done manually with a bar switch.

With fuel injection, you can tune in 500rpm increments and percentages of throttle opening, and adjust timing in a similar fashion, and this can all be configured differently per gear.

once the FI systems are sorted, the hot starting issue that plague 4 strokes will be gone.

maybe its just me, but those seem to be pretty good reasons to worry about fuel injection.

Whatever do you mean! Are you trying to say the at FI is the future? And here I am trying to convert all my bikes back to carbs, man I miss the way you used spend hundreds of dollars on tuning. You get it perfect then the weather changes and it runs like **** again, and back to re-jetting you go.....Fi is just too easy, so I'll stick with ****ing around with carbs before every ride...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post

Everyone should care about fuel injection, Carbs are antique equipment and are junk compared to fuel injection.

I've got one of the best CRF450 supermoto racers in the country and after doing laps on an RMZ supermoto racer on the weekend, I'll be going to suzuki if honda doesn't go fuelie in 09.

With a carb, you've got a couple of circuits to jet, and kind hope for the best, you can change ignition curves, but this has to be done manually with a bar switch.

With fuel injection, you can tune in 500rpm increments and percentages of throttle opening, and adjust timing in a similar fashion, and this can all be configured differently per gear.

once the FI systems are sorted, the hot starting issue that plague 4 strokes will be gone.

maybe its just me, but those seem to be pretty good reasons to worry about fuel injection.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Whatever do you mean! Are you trying to say the at FI is the future? And here I am trying to convert all my bikes back to carbs, man I miss the way you used spend hundreds of dollars on tuning. You get it perfect then the weather changes and it runs like **** again, and back to re-jetting you go.....Fi is just too easy, so I'll stick with ****ing around with carbs before every ride...LOL
    LMFAO its so true...

[quote=amp3d;601290]

Can I nominate this for the best post of the year so far??

Nice job John.

No need to explain to me what the differenced between a carb and a fi system. I have jetted all the bikes I have over the years after changing exhausts and/or opening air boxes and stuff, and I know what is required.

I agree, it's kinda a hassle, but its simple enough that anyone can do it cheap for like a couple bucks.
    A lot of people aren't going to bother spending $300 for a power commander or something similar. Not to mention up to 3 bills to get it custom mapped, assuming of course most people don't have the equipment at home to do it themselves for optimal performance.

Then of course, you have the issue of the bikes requiring a battery, and all the extra weight associate with it.

My post was not arguing whether or not FI is better, of course it is. My post was regarding the XR bike line-up that is basically top-notch. Not to mention this thread is about dual sports, which are not exactly the highest performing bikes out there to start. Most people aren't going to be racing supermoto and don't need the FI system!

If you ask me, you just hijacked this thread over a useless comment that you took the wrong way!

Anyways, back to the original post, I don't even own an XR myself, but from my experience over the years with people that do have them, they wouldn't trade them in for anything!
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

you're correct, this thread is about dual sport bikes, they're not Hi performance etc, but they still require jetting to get them right, most are jetted so poorly out of the dealer and have the excelerator pump dumping too much fuel at them, you've gotta tinker to make them work.

Even an open loop FI system is going to be far superior for the average dual sport rider than all but a carb that is jetted absolutely perfect.

The MX and off road industry is significantly behind the times in this area.

My post is a thread jack because I don't agree with you??

You offered some information, which I felt was misleading and incorrect, so I provided additional information based on a fairly significant amount of experience.

Its up to others to decide which answer is correct for their application.

the bottom line is, if Carbs were better, fuel injection would not be as prevailent.

IMO the application doesnt really matter, FI is the future and id want the newest technology if I was buying a new machine....Going with carbs to me would be like buying a 600cc supersport with conventinal forks and brakes, instead of USD and radial mount...Kawi started that with the 600's in 03 and now every 600 has them, the same thing will happen with FI and offraod machines sooner or later. I dont think you will ever see any manufacures go back to carbs once the switch has been made, and the trend set..Might aswell jump on the ban wagon as soon as possible, or be left behind....

That being said some people are differnt and might want stick with what they know, and are used to working on...In that case only you can decide whats better for you...

IMO the application doesnt really matter, FI is the future and id want the newest technology if I was buying a new machine....Going with carbs to me would be like buying a 600cc supersport with conventinal forks and brakes, instead of USD and radial mount...Kawi started that with the 600's in 03 and now every 600 has them, the same thing will happen with FI and offraod machines sooner or later. I dont think you will ever see any manufacures go back to carbs once the switch has been made, and the trend set..Might aswell jump on the ban wagon as soon as possible, or be left behind....

That being said some people are differnt and might want stick with what they know, and are used to working on...In that case only you can decide whats better for you...
    That being said... I continue to hear that 2 strokes will be non exsistant as of 2010? can anyone confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by 23 View Post
    That being said... I continue to hear that 2 strokes will be non exsistant as of 2010? can anyone confirm that?
    I can see that being very true, tree huggers will win that battle eventually...Its just a matter of time before manufacuters arent aloud to produce 2 smoke for consumer market anymore..

I'm not sure if that'll be the case.

There are new technologies that are making 2 strokes more environmentally friendly than 4 strokes, and more fuel efficient as well, its just a matter of the technology being made available.

Several manufacturers have been using a form of direct fuel injection on 2stroke outboards for several years.

Bombardier has had semi-direct fuel injection on their sleds since 04, this was a big step in the right direction, 2 stroke power with 4 stroke fuel economy and emmisions.

as of 2008, they now offer direct fuel injection.

This means no fuel is scavenged from the crank through the transfer ports, it is injected at high pressure directly into the combustion chamber AFTER the piston has closed both ports completely. I've ridden several of them, and the motors are brilliant and sound like nothing else.

these systems COULD make their way to off road bikes, which would probably put the 2 stroke back on top.

I'm not sure if that'll be the case.

There are new technologies that are making 2 strokes more environmentally friendly than 4 strokes, and more fuel efficient as well, its just a matter of the technology being made available.

Several manufacturers have been using a form of direct fuel injection on 2stroke outboards for several years.

Bombardier has had semi-direct fuel injection on their sleds since 04, this was a big step in the right direction, 2 stroke power with 4 stroke fuel economy and emmisions.

as of 2008, they now offer direct fuel injection.

This means no fuel is scavenged from the crank through the transfer ports, it is injected at high pressure directly into the combustion chamber AFTER the piston has closed both ports completely. I've ridden several of them, and the motors are brilliant and sound like nothing else.

these systems COULD make their way to off road bikes, which would probably put the 2 stroke back on top.
    With that type of fuel injection would the power band be the same as say a 250F or would they still be as wirey as they are now?
    Last edited by 23; 05-20-2008 at 12:48 PM.