Picking up a bike

Thread: Picking up a bike

Picking up a bike

I want to get back into dirt after a far to long absence.

Thing is I dont know what to look for, I hade an old school yamaha back in the day that I used to rip around on the back roads at the cottage, But we no longer have that property and our new one is very heavly police patrolled.

so
    A) I ride street , have ridden dirt, but am slightly shorter in the inseam department. Any decent recomendations for me for a bike?

B) Where to ride around here legaly, I will get plated and insured ect.
    Yes I have bad Spelling, Yes I have bad grammar, and no, I don’t care if it bugs you.

88 Suzuki Kantana-Crashed@ 69K
    01- Kawi zzr250 18K-sold
    87/02 Honda hurricane/600rr hybrid. 76K still going.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

Re: Picking up a bike

Quote Originally Posted by newbieracer View Post
    I want to get back into dirt after a far to long absence.

Thing is I dont know what to look for, I hade an old school yamaha back in the day that I used to rip around on the back roads at the cottage, But we no longer have that property and our new one is very heavly police patrolled.

so
    A) I ride street , have ridden dirt, but am slightly shorter in the inseam department. Any decent recomendations for me for a bike?

B) Where to ride around here legaly, I will get plated and insured ect.
    A) I am partial to 4-storkes so my opinion is slightly biased... but hight can be adjusted... so any four stroker will do :P

B) Im not sure where your from but there are a lot of places to ride if your getting plated and insured.

I too am partial to 4 strokes. I have an RM-Z 250 and RM-Z 450 since I race in both classes

My only complaint is the cost of maintenance. You will typically need to do the head after 2 valve adjustments whick runs close to $1000. How often this happens depends on how you ride. I've got anywhere from 20-80 hours out of a head. I'll also install Kibblewhite when I replace the factory valve train which seems to last longer.

There dosent seem to be any correlation between maunfacturer and valve longevity. Yamaha may be slightly better.

The honda has titanium valves, they dont like dirt, make sure you always service the air filter if you have a 250 or 450. Big money to repair!

Exclamation Re: Picking up a bike

partial to foer strokes?! two strokes rock and and roll. four strokes are just glorified diesels. ooohhh ooohhh ......

I have a very nice 05 HOnda CRF250 For sale if anyones interested! LDR valveing, Rental Fat bars, top ends nice in and quiet!.. going to need a pair of tires at the end of the season thats about it that i can see take it to your own guy if you want it checked out.. .. Only $3400 call me (905) 261-3093

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    I too am partial to 4 strokes. I have an RM-Z 250 and RM-Z 450 since I race in both classes

My only complaint is the cost of maintenance. You will typically need to do the head after 2 valve adjustments whick runs close to $1000. How often this happens depends on how you ride. I've got anywhere from 20-80 hours out of a head. I'll also install Kibblewhite when I replace the factory valve train which seems to last longer.

There dosent seem to be any correlation between maunfacturer and valve longevity. Yamaha may be slightly better.
    20 hours? Oh dear don't say that! I haven't had any head work done to my 05 450, and I ride it often. (Used to dual sport it before I had my street bike). I hope I can get another season out of it lol
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by amp3d View Post
    20 hours? Oh dear don't say that! I haven't had any head work done to my 05 450, and I ride it often. (Used to dual sport it before I had my street bike). I hope I can get another season out of it lol
    Scheduled piston replacement for that bike is 15 hours.

The honda heads aren't PERFECTLY straight from the factory, the valves sit in the seats a bit crooked, which is what causes the seat wear.

You're head is probably overdue for maintenance.

When you have it done, make sure a REAL mechanic does it, not a dealership parts replacer.

If the seats are done properly, you won't have to worry about the valves for a LONG time

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Scheduled piston replacement for that bike is 15 hours.

The honda heads aren't PERFECTLY straight from the factory, the valves sit in the seats a bit crooked, which is what causes the seat wear.

You're head is probably overdue for maintenance.

When you have it done, make sure a REAL mechanic does it, not a dealership parts replacer.

If the seats are done properly, you won't have to worry about the valves for a LONG time
    Good info.
    THanks.

WHat places are good anyways? Maybe I'll take it into Machine Racing or somthin
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

I'm also looking for a dirt bike. Just wanted to get a few opinions.

I'm Not looking for a high maintenance competition bike.

Must be factory street legal, I know a few people who haven't been able to get stickers for their converted to street legal dirt bikes with the new law. I have a dirt bike but the hassle of trailering it and with the was the cops are here now I want a proper, Legal Dual Sport.

Something on the shorter side, I'm 5'2 with a 29" inseam and on KTMs and the like my feet are hanging 6" from the ground which once i get better in the dirt may be more comfortable with.

A couple I was thinking of was a Suzuki DR200 or a DR650 because they can be lowered a bit. The Yamaha XT225 / XT250.

I could touch tippy toe on a DRZ400 that was lowered a bit but it was still kinda tall.

I'm not looking for a MX Bike,,, Just a Trail Bike for mellow trails and dirt roads.

Also,,, Where's the best place to look.... KIJIJI ,, Autotrader ?

Thoughts ?
    Last edited by Catzuki; 05-22-2008 at 09:21 AM.

TRY THE ODSC WEBSITE.
    Always bikes for sale there....