Can oil get into the carbs?

Thread: Can oil get into the carbs?

Can oil get into the carbs?

Hi guys. Had a bit of a problem starting my bike this weekend (engine seems to turn but doesn't catch) and after looking around the engine I noticed that the nipples where the carbs are normally drained from seem to have engine oil right at their tips as if it's somehow leaking from the inside of the carbs.

Now just the other weekend I changed the oil on the bike from taking it out of storage and there's a possbility that I may have put in too much oil. Could this extra oil have found a way to get into the carbs and hence cause the lack of starting on the bike as well? Any suggestions aside from draining the carbs?

Lobo

witchunter

Re: Can oil get into the carbs?

how many litres you put in?

what's the sight glass show? should be half way mark,
    to much oil will cause higher crank case pressure, crank case vent tube goes to the air box,

Yes, but the vent box will accumulate the oil, not pump it through the carbs.

The answer top your question is NO. What you are seeing is NOT oil, as there is no way for oil to make it's way into the carbeurator assembly.

If you overfilled, you will likely have a lot of smoke from the engine as the excess oil makes it's way past the piston rings and valve seats.

Stick an oil pan under your bike and remove the nut and count to 5 or so, and put it back in. Then check your oil level. Top up or remove more until your in the sighting window.

Nites

I think I went past the 3.0 litre mark that my bike says is the max. I've since drained some more of the oil and it's showing at the half way mark on the side window now. Will try starting the bike again tonight but is there anything else that could cause the bike to not start? Bad gasoline?

Lobo

remember too check the oil with the bike centered (not on the stand)

I bought once gasoline from this no name place and it had oil in it. Think about where the gas came from....

If you overfilled your engine..then yes you could get oil into the carbs, but only because the crankcase breather hose on the back of the engine will come up and connect to your airbox. When overfilling oil it will mist oil into the airbox soaking the inside of the box and the carbs.

Just drain down the oil a little.

Just wanted to add that I finally managed to get my bike started yesterday evening. Turns out that after even swapping out the old gas for fresh, it was the battery that was giving me issues. Bought a new one last night at CT and the bike managed to start after two or three tries.

Thanks everyone for the tips though.

Lobo