The Calabogie Run Sunday May 18, 2008 - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Calabogie Run Sunday May 18, 2008

Re: The Calabogie Run Sunday May 18, 2008

He just doesn't want to be called out and put at the back of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    He just doesn't want to be called out and put at the back of the pack.
    lol.

I hope I was not too harsh in my last post, just wanted to make sure people know this may not a be a ride for some riders

If this ride was Monday I would be in. My band plays in Arthur tonight, therefore I don't get home until about 5 A.M.

You guys are in rain or shine right?
    Forecast starting to look not that great, don't want to ride all the way out to Haugen's just to find everybody went home!
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
    You guys are in rain or shine right?
    Forecast starting to look not that great, don't want to ride all the way out to Haugen's just to find everybody went home!
    Yep, weather Gods are not co-operating, but some of us die hards will be there at Haugens rain or shine Chris.

Dress properly and it will be OK

I'm out. The probability of getting wet and cold at the same time is too high for my taste. I'll do a little sunshine dance in my garage so you may have a dry and warm one
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Rian or shine... I love it.
    Guess that makes me a die hard!

I am not meant to be awake at this hour.
    This sucks, I h8t all of you.

See y'all in 90mins
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    Rian or shine... I love it.
    Guess that makes me a die hard!
    and a bit insane

Wow, this is the soggiest, coldest, rain day this year I think, you guys could not of picked a worse day to show everyone how dedicated you are, committed too. Oh, I mean you should be committed.
    Hope everyone returns unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
    Wow, this is the soggiest, coldest, rain day this year I think, you guys could not of picked a worse day to show everyone how dedicated you are, committed too. Oh, I mean you should be committed.
    Hope everyone returns unscathed.
    It only rained today....with no disrespect to the guys that rode today, but some of you are making it sound like they are super human beings. Newsflash for ya, riding the bike in the rain is safe and enjoyable with the proper clothing.....more of you riders should actually give it a go and try riding in the wet one of these days.

thalesampaio

It is just not enjoyable as if it was on a nice sunny day and for sure far more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by thalesampaio View Post
    It is just not enjoyable as if it was on a nice sunny day and for sure far more dangerous.
    If anything it's as safe as dry conditions, certainly the speed factor is greatly reduced. I'm sure these guys will have some great stories/pics from the ride today.
    Last edited by Jayv; 05-18-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    If anything it's as safe as dry conditions, certainly the speed factor is greatly reduced.
    You've obviously not encountered spilled diesel or gasoline from a vehicle that was overfilled, just a few minutes ahead of you up the road.

Even though your subdued, (and what you consider to be a 'responsibly reduced') rate of speed given the wet roads, between the rain drops and 'dirty rain' on your shield obscuring your vision, and the already wet road concealing the spill, the degree of slickness and just how blazingly fast it catches you out, is not to be believed by anyone it has not happened to yet. It's all in the odds.

And just what do you guys use to keep your hands dry? Haven't discovered that magic item yet, and even 3 pair of dry gloves as backup still doesn't get you home without hands that wouldn't look out of place on a 112 year old Eskimo, left out of the tee pee on a -50 night.

Quote Originally Posted by thumpit View Post
    You've obviously not encountered spilled diesel or gasoline from a vehicle that was overfilled, just a few minutes ahead of you up the road.

Even though your subdued, (and what you consider to be a 'responsibly reduced') rate of speed given the wet roads, between the rain drops and 'dirty rain' on your shield obscuring your vision, and the already wet road concealing the spill, the degree of slickness and just how blazingly fast it catches you out, is not to be believed by anyone it has not happened to yet. It's all in the odds.

And just what do you guys use to keep your hands dry? Haven't discovered that magic item yet, and even 3 pair of dry gloves as backup still doesn't get you home without hands that wouldn't look out of place on a 112 year old Eskimo, left out of the tee pee on a -50 night.
    Did your bike melt?

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

The run was great good route i will have to get that route from someones gps unit so i can upload it in to mine when it gets here.
    As for the folks who did not go on the run well you missed a good one. Yes it rained a few drops at the gas and food stop at calabogie then it was sunny with no rain until we had finished 509 and where almost done 506. The ompa stomp . then it was a wet ride home down hwy 7.
    It was great to ride with you guys and i hope to do it again.
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

What a great ride... that was the longest ride with consecutive twisties EVER!!

Thanks to lil red bird who lent me his rain gear... I'd be soaked and cold if it weren't for him... PM me so I can send your stuff back to you...

I'll post pics later...
    '08 ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by expert View Post
    and a bit insane
    Insane is a relative term

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    It only rained today....with no disrespect to the guys that rode today, but some of you are making it sound like they are super human beings. Newsflash for ya, riding the bike in the rain is safe and enjoyable with the proper clothing.....more of you riders should actually give it a go and try riding in the wet one of these days.
    No super humans... just dudes on bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by thalesampaio View Post
    Damn right it's not as enjoyable... And of course we do our best to stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by thumpit View Post
    +1 - my hands were the only thing not fully protected from the elements... Leather sure gets wet'n soggy.

AWESOME ride today guys...
    Clear and clean till 5:00 pm. It was about 820 kms for me (Second least). Maybe these Gixxers weren't meant for touring? Nah... they were.

Dave - no pics of you in compromising postions this time! (Bob took your place as he was dressing with a garbage bag lol)...although you tearing off that yellow frogg togg crap after 1 single set of twisties was kinda humorous.

Tim - You do look like an RC bike on that green machine of yours.

Bob - Never have I seen someone meet up so late for a ride (Missed us at haugens, but met up with us in Calabogie. Glad you made it though.

Hayden - if this didn't break you in for things to come, nothing will. That was some serious km's for you. in a single session.

Bill - As usual, tyhanks for leading - Now thems were some GREAT roads. I've never seen a set of twisties last over 50 kms before. That was F'n SWEET.

Vee - thanks for sweeping. Great job as usual.

Lil red bird - Nice meeting you. You were likely more well prepared than all of us for the weather, and I'm sure the boys appreciated you lending them some gear.

Chris - Wholly crap.. your more of a man than me.... Dressed in your riding pants (jeans) and your summer jacket... No rain gear, and you had the furthest distance to travel.... Damn...

Errol?? what happend to you? Thought you were in for this one?

Thank for a nice paced ride guys.

We started out with 8 and picked up a stray along the way. Weather was good, it actually hailed (pea sized) at Calabogie for couple of mins, rained only from 5-7pm.

Route was approx 850kms

There were a few other groups of riders out, enjoying the day.

PS thanks for sweeping Vee

That was by far the best ride of my life! Bill that was an amazing route, it really started coming down hard when I hit the 401 up to Cornwall. Let me put it this way, the cars could see a blur coming and then leaving

Anyways arrived safe and ticket free...
    SOAR Novice #113