Small Bike at track days

Thread: Small Bike at track days

Small Bike at track days

At the end of the summer I will be upgrading again back to a 600 from a zzr 250, Now I plan on giving the zzrto my girlfriend, But she seems hesitant. So what I was thinking Is make it a project, Do some work better suspension better brakes ect ect.........and bring it to the track. Since I would already have the bike this would save me a ton of cash, Is this just an outlandish idea or are their a bunch of little bikes ripping around the track most track days.
    Yes I have bad Spelling, Yes I have bad grammar, and no, I don’t care if it bugs you.

88 Suzuki Kantana-Crashed@ 69K
    01- Kawi zzr250 18K-sold
    87/02 Honda hurricane/600rr hybrid. 76K still going.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

Re: Small Bike at track days

You'll be fine on that bike.

you really don't have to do much, the brakes are more than adequate for slowing a bike of that power

Its the size of your Kahoonas that matter most.
    CyclePaintWorX - Booked solid until winter 2012.
    cyclepaintworx@gmail.com
    Ultimate Quality Refinishing.
    519-503-8933

I had a lot of fun on my little 400 at the track for 3 years. The track is fun period, no matter what bike you are on. I learned more on that small bike in that period of time then I would have on a larger bike.
    89 fzr400 I'm going to miss her... http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...uga/sigpic.jpg The new toy...

for the money you're going to spend upgrading the bike... might as well buy another track bike!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Addy View Post
    for the money you're going to spend upgrading the bike... might as well buy another track bike!!!
    Possibly, But I plan on working the mods in over a gradual process over the summer, Im not in the position to be purchasing 2 bikes (my upgrade and a track bike) at the same time. Truthfully, I want to try on the 250 to perfect my skills before I move up bigger.

Also asides from tires, exaust, suspension, and plastics, Im not sure what else would be left.
    Yes I have bad Spelling, Yes I have bad grammar, and no, I don’t care if it bugs you.

01- Kawi zzr250 18K-sold

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

It is MUCH cheaper to buy a used track bike than convert one from street. Usually the gearing, chain, suspension and brakes are already done and it may have race bodywork. Good cheap examples would be an "older" (mid-90s) CBR F2/F3, EX500, or a FZR400. Not so powerful as the modern stuff but still lots of fun and plenty of parts still available.

If you are patient you can get something decent for under $3000. Sell the ZZR to help pay for it.

/r
    Last edited by rsilk; 05-09-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by newbieracer View Post
    Possibly, But I plan on working the mods in over a gradual process over the summer, Im not in the position to be purchasing 2 bikes (my upgrade and a track bike) at the same time. Truthfully, I want to try on the 250 to perfect my skills before I move up bigger.

Also asides from tires, exaust, suspension, and plastics, Im not sure what else would be left.
    Could probably hook you up with an F2 for under 2 grand... Sell the 250 and pick up a bike that is ready for the track!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Addy View Post
    Could probably hook you up with an F2 for under 2 grand... Sell the 250 and pick up a bike that is ready for the track!!!

Ahhh why does this stuff always pop up at the worst times, I cant sell the 250 right now its my daily, I needed somthing cheep while I Severly worked away my debt, im almost their but in no position to buy or sell anything yet. Ill find you in a month.

01- Kawi zzr250 18K-sold

Quote Originally Posted by newbieracer View Post
    If you are still thinking of tracking the 250, I don't think you need the 4 things you listed above except for tire. Maybe used plastics if yours are in no-scretch no-rash perfect condition. The rest, are just luxury

Its good idea to use the $ on the buying a nice track suit and to keep the bike well maintained.

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

Is there such a thing as track riding on a budget?

heck I have a YSR with a 250 motor in it I am thinking of taking out to the track !

You may want to change the cams the zzr 250`s are notoriousley soft .