TTC srtike! - Page 3

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TTC srtike!

Re: TTC srtike!

Quote Originally Posted by sinic View Post
    So if the TTC is so unimportant to the general public, why should the workers be so well compensated ...

It works both ways ... hah
    What's your problem with them being so well compensated??

Quote Originally Posted by MS MSP View Post
    wow, another union worker no doubt.

What are you going to do/not do to hold the city ransom?

Make the TTc an essential service then fire each and every one of the ungrateful ****s who voted to strike.

That would be a good start.
    Jealous ay!!! You wish you had a job like ours??

Quote Originally Posted by cdngix View Post
    What's your problem with them being so well compensated??
    I used to be a regular rider on the TTC and stopped after a bunch of the drivers treated me (and many others) extremely poorly

If you compare our transit system with the systems present in any other world class city, the TTC is the worst (or among the worst) ... and the biggest problem is the powertripping employees and the shortsighted union

This will be the last strike this greedy union gets to take ... and the only ones to blame are the union (and the complete mishandling of the situation by union suckasses Miller and Giambrone)

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    How many of those 1.5 million actually NEED to ride the subway to get where they want to go rather than walk. There's lots of space for bicycles, even motorcycles if they temporarily allow them parked on boulevards. Parking lots will be at capacity but guess what? CARPOOL that will cut down congestion.

If you live at Yonge and Finch, you can bike ride down. It might take you an hour...so what. Get your *** in shape. If not take a cab.

If you can't afford to pay for a cab downtown, why the hell are you working down there? Find a job closer to home.

People need to start solving their OWN problems instead of relying on other people. Who's responsiblity is it to get to work? It isn't the TTC's, it's YOURS so find a way and suck it up.

Our people are supposed to be intelligent, resourceful people. Why can't they come up with a way to get to work.

are you really that thick?

People choose their job or place to live based on what they can afford. If they live farther from work but on a subway line, the fact that transit is there makes it reasonable to live there.

You expect someone to change jobs or move so as to not rely on the TTC? Not to mention in a day with no notice because you ******** decide to strike?

Ever think that it's cheaper to live at Yonge & Finch rather than Rosedale or Harbourfront?

They choose to live where they do and get to work daily, then one day as a result of you greedy ****s, they can't do so.

You expect everyone on the drop of a hat with no notice to be able to find a bike, let alone ride it 20 KM + one way to work?

I could do it, bit not everyone could.

All because you greedy ****s want more money, more job security and better disability benefits?

Don't like the job you have? Quit and go apply at McDonalds.
    Last edited by MS MSP; 04-26-2008 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fresh02guy View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling it goes back to job security.

A few thoughts:

1) In our society, job security is not a right. It appears though that the TTC union believes otherwise. The majority of the working people in Canada do not have job security which begs the question... what makes the TTC union so special that they feel they should be any different. Consider this for a moment: we the tax payers pay your salary, How dare you bite the hand that feeds you.

2) As a taxpayer I am really tired of TTC union whining. The union has to realize that there are many people who are more than able to do your jobs and are willing and happy to take those jobs from you. I urge you to be grateful for what you have which is a high paying job which does not require a whole lot of skill. I don’t mean to be demeaning but driving a bus or subway really does not require a whole lot of skill. I am sure anyone on this board can pick it up in a few hours.

3) Your TTC subway ads showing the TTC is worth $X billion and each employee therefore worth $1million is a COMPLETE FARCE and Joke! It entertains me daily as I sit on the overcrowded subway 20 minutes late for work again because the TTC union is completely incompetent to run a transit system efficiently and effectively.

4) I certainly DO NOT agree with the threats and abuse from passengers the TTC union have been receiving. At the same time, I understand where they are coming from. Many of these people rely on the public transit (which their tax $ pay for) to maintain their livelihood.

5) I certainly hope that the TTC unions strike will in the very near term turn around and bite them hard where the sun don’t shine. I think the public can only tolerate so much of this childish behaviour from these overpaid union members. I foresee that soon the public will be picketing to get the TTC to replace those who don’t think they have enough for what they do and offer those jobs to those who are willing and happy to work. I am sure half the city would participate in a rally for that cause. I for one have never participated in any rallies but would be the first to show up for this one!!

1) Actually, when unionized under a collective agreement Job Security IS a right. It is protected and agreed upon. Also in business you can't just FIRE people and hire different ones at a cheaper wage, that's illegal.

2) Do you want to ride a bus driven by someone making $10/hour? Bus Driving takes a great deal of skill, you've obviously never done it, I have. You are also responsible for 30+ people. Again you are knocking something you've never done. Do I think its brain surgery? no but it's not exactly a walk in the park.

3) I don't know anything about the ads so I can't comment

4) These people are pathetic, who's responsiblity is it to get to work? They should get off their ***** and figure something out. When thrown a curveball in life, you adjust. What would these sheep do if something happened God-forbid, they'd whine and cry for the government (or some superhero) to save them.

5) Well there's no way the TTC can hire new cheaper people, and do you really think that would solve the problem? Pay them less? The money isn't the issue here, they don't want any more money (except cost of living) they want better working conditions.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

**** the TTC and its workers, \the TTC is total garbage all they do is strike, raise fares, and ask the city for money. Why is the city helping to find the TTC if they are going to strike, they shouldnt be able to strike when the city helps fund them and then they go and handicap the city like this...

And I dont even ride the ****ing TTC

are you really that thick?

People choose their job or place to live based on the fact that transit is there.

Not to mention in a day with no notice beacuse you ******** decide to strike?

Ever think that it's cheaper to live at Yonge & Finch rather than Rosedale or Harbourfront?

They choose to live where they do and get to work daily, then one day as a result of you greedy ****s, they can't do so.

You expect everyone on the drop of a hat with no notice to be able to find a bike, let alone ride it 20 KM + one way to work?

I could do it, bit not everyone could.

All because you greedy ****s want more money, more job security and better disability benefits?

Don't like the job you have? Quit and go apply at McDonalds.
    Who needs notice? Why haven't people planned for something like this? Why don't they have a backup plan to get to work? Why? Because people are lazy, incompetent sheep who have no concept of self-direction. I drive to work, I also have a backup plan to get to work incase my car breaks down. I also have a backup plan to that backup plan? Why? because I have some shred of competence. It is cheaper to work at Yonge/Finch, than Rosedale...why do you think? cause it's more convenient to be closer to the downtown core..capitalismmmmm.

Lets get something straight I DO NOT WORK FOR THE TTC NOR DO I WORK IN THE TRANSIT INDUSTRY. The workers do not want more money, their job security should be already protected. The disability benefits was for full pay instead of 85%. I don't really know the other issues but this isn't about money.

Can't commute to your job without public transit? Quit and go work at the McDonalds around the corner

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

I love visiting T.O, but sure glad to get out too.
    As a resident of Kitchener/Waterloo (250k ppl) I've never used public transit, therefore never relied on it.
    Its just beyond me to think of it as a 'need'.
    When in a real pinch, I've gotten up 45mins early and bicycled, from Kitchener to Cambridge, probly 20+ kms.
    You poor civilians will find a way.
    CyclePaintWorX - Booked solid until winter 2012.
    cyclepaintworx@gmail.com
    Ultimate Quality Refinishing.
    519-503-8933

being an air traffic controller takes FAR more skill than being a bus/streetcar/subway driver. where is ronald reagan when we need him?

actually...i do agree. it must take an amazing amount of effort to try not to smile/be pleasant for an entire 8 hour day.

Quote Originally Posted by TLDeano View Post
    I love visiting T.O, but sure glad to get out too.
    As a resident of Kitchener/Waterloo (250k ppl) I've never used public transit, therefore never relied on it.
    When in a real pinch, I've gotten up 45mins early and bicycled, from Kitchener to Cambridge, probly 20+ kms.

Finally someone who's actually grown a pair and not relied on someone else

OFAH member

wow just found out now. My sister just text messaged me that she needed the car to get to Sick Kids Hospital for work and I should take the TTC lol. I have an eye doctor appointment for drops and she said I wouldn't be able to see clearly for 4 hours. Guess I have no choice but to toughen it out and ride on my bike. Hopefully the sunglasses will work.

Who needs notice? Why haven't people planned for something like this? Why don't they have a backup plan to get to work? Why? Because people are lazy, incompetent sheep who have no concept of self-direction. I drive to work, I also have a backup plan to get to work incase my car breaks down. I also have a backup plan to that backup plan? Why? because I have some shred of competence. It is cheaper to work at Yonge/Finch, than Rosedale...why do you think? cause it's more convenient to be closer to the downtown core..capitalismmmmm.

Lets get something straight I DO NOT WORK FOR THE TTC NOR DO I WORK IN THE TRANSIT INDUSTRY. The workers do not want more money, their job security should be already protected. The disability benefits was for full pay instead of 85%. I don't really know the other issues but this isn't about money.

Can't commute to your job without public transit? Quit and go work at the McDonalds around the corner

right, so every night before going to bed everyone who takes the TTC daily needs to have a backup plan in case the TTC decides to strike?

Ride a bike eh? What about in the winter when there's snow on the ground?

What about someone with a disability who can't ride a bike or walk 20 KM?

What about someone on a fixed income who can't afford a cab? Someone who already paid all they had for a TTC pass which is worthless since the TTC are on strike?

what if you don't have a car, which is why many people take the TTC in the first place? WHAT THEN BUDDY?

Quote Originally Posted by TLDeano View Post
    ever think that maybe, just maybe, not every single TTC rider out there is fit enough to ride a bike to work?
    Last edited by MS MSP; 04-26-2008 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    wow just found out now. My sister just text messaged me that she needed the car to get to Sick Kids Hospital for work and I should take the TTC lol. I have an eye doctor appointment for drops and she said I wouldn't be able to see clearly for 4 hours. Guess I have no choice but to toughen it out and ride on my bike. Hopefully the sunglasses will work.
    So you'd take the ttc with the eyedrops in your eyes? Can't you get your drops done at a different eye doctor? one that's within walking distance?

OFAH member

1) Actually, when unionized under a collective agreement Job Security IS a right. It is protected and agreed upon. Also in business you can't just FIRE people and hire different ones at a cheaper wage, that's illegal.

2) Do you want to ride a bus driven by someone making $10/hour? Bus Driving takes a great deal of skill, you've obviously never done it, I have. You are also responsible for 30+ people. Again you are knocking something you've never done. Do I think its brain surgery? no but it's not exactly a walk in the park.

3) I don't know anything about the ads so I can't comment

4) These people are pathetic, who's responsiblity is it to get to work? They should get off their ***** and figure something out. When thrown a curveball in life, you adjust. What would these sheep do if something happened God-forbid, they'd whine and cry for the government (or some superhero) to save them.

5) Well there's no way the TTC can hire new cheaper people, and do you really think that would solve the problem? Pay them less? The money isn't the issue here, they don't want any more money (except cost of living) they want better working conditions.

1) Thats the point. Job security should fundamentally NOT be a right. Only unions think it should be. Our society runs well only when the principals of demand and supply are allowed to work properly. Unions create an imbalance by demanding more than they are worth (not only in salary but in the demands they make on their employer - essentially the tax payers)

2) I find it difficult to conceive that driving a subway on a track is more difficult than riding a bike. You dont even need to steer.

4) I agree. The public should do something about the strike. I think we should pull ALL the money we pay in taxes out of the TTC and privatize public transit. More competition means better service and better rate. Look at our cell phone companies where the same idea applies...more companies = better service.

5) What is so bad about the working conditions. Last I heard the TTC was at the other extreme of a sweat shop.

It tall comes down to unions. Historically, unions were put in place to deal with bad employers. Our laws and regulations now ensure employers are dealt with accordingly in unfair treatment of employees. There is no longer a justifiable need for unions to exist.
    2wheelchickenpoop

I already made the appointment a week in advance and it's from a buddy of mines that gets me free eye examination. It's a follow up examination and besides what happened to 48 hours notice?

So you'd take the ttc with the eyedrops in your eyes? Can't you get your drops done at a different eye doctor? one that's within walking distance?
    he's got an appointment and had obviously planned to take the TTC to get to it.

Oh yeah, under your "strategy", he should have had alternate plan. I guess he should have made an appointment with another eye doctor just in case the TTC went on strike tonight.

Toronto isn't Kitchener or Peterborough or whatever other town you guys think serves as an appropriate comparison.

The city has had an established transit system for decades, like any other large city in the world. That transit system isn't perceived as a luxury or a side-benefit, it plays such an integral role in the working of the city that it's considered primary and central to the working of the city. People who choose to rely on transit as their primary mode of travel do so because that's a legitimate choice, it's part of life in the city.

Stop trying to compare Toronto to a suburban city that doesn't have the same population, density or infrastructure needs that a large city does.

oh yeah I take the TTC like twice a year so have no clue what the coin fare is now lol.

let me take a wild guess in saying you work for the TTC?

Get back to work
    Not at all.
    Guess again grade school

Finally someone who's actually grown a pair and not relied on someone else
    I think everyone eventually manages to find a way. We've all done so in the past when the TTC union decided to take the city hostage.

The point is when you pay so much taxes to build public transit, you expect a certain level of service back. Even if the union decided not to strike, something needs to be done about the TTC. Its an embarrassment to our city and likely one of the most inefficiently run organizations in our country.
    2wheelchickenpoop