Highway 60 Through Algonquin Park

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highway 60 Through Algonquin Park

Highway 60 Through Algonquin Park

I just did this route coming back from Petawawa.

The road was perfectly clear, barely any traffic, never saw a cop once, never saw a deer or any other form of wildlife that could potentially kill me. Awesome twists, really scenic.

I don't recommend it at night or on a sunday. Great for a day trip.

Re: Highway 60 Through Algonquin Park

+1

The moose were out in full force this weekend. You can tell because of the cars stopped by the side of the road. Be careful if you're whipping through some of the turns. Not for the moose, but the parked cars.

That is a great road for sure.

Never ventured that far up always did 507 or the 118 hwy.....just google mapped it and looks fun, i'll make sure to check that out this season...

thanks for the FYI

i thought hwy 60 through the park was a very beautiful scenic ride as opposed to twisties.... very long gentle sweepers that you'd have to ride at 150km/h to consider them twisties... I haven't been through the park that way in while because of that.. Am I wrong? Or are you referring to Hwy 60 east of Algonquin on the way to Petawawa that's good for twisties?
    Thx
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    very long gentle sweepers that you'd have to ride at 150km/h to consider them twisties...

MarcF650R

Algonquin, I do a lot of photos up there. Last year I got to ride through the park for the first time. I have driven through or have been driven through there for over 25 years and have come to know the parkway corridor very well. It is very, very quiet this time of year with little or no people except maybe on the weekends. I camped up there just before the blackflies came out two Mays ago. It was awesome.

While the fall colours are best for photos, I have started to like it less and less because of all the tourists and the multiple buses slobbering all over the roads because of the pretty colours or because some dip-stick spotted a moose, essentially ruining the experience....especially at Lookout Trail which can have over ten or more tourist buses at a time during fall colours. Peace and quiet is the first thing you go looking for up there, during Fall Colours, its not gonna happen.

if your planning on staying somewhere spectacle lake has some cabins that are not ridiculously overpriced. also has a wikked sunday breakfast mmmm the best any restaurant i have been to has had.

its a nice ride, but be careful on weekend when the tour buses and the shutter bugs are running all over the road

I'm headin up there soon.. Did it last year and loved it! I saw LOTS of wildlife tho.. 2 moose, bear and lots of racoons..

Just before the park entrance heading east, cheap, cool place to bunk for the night The Wolf Den. Something like 20 bucks a night.

Anyone interested in a day or 2day trip ?
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    Anyone interested in a day or 2day trip ?
    We usually do a day trip there when it gets warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    i thought hwy 60 through the park was a very beautiful scenic ride as opposed to twisties.... very long gentle sweepers that you'd have to ride at 150km/h to consider them twisties... I haven't been through the park that way in while because of that.. Am I wrong? Or are you referring to Hwy 60 east of Algonquin on the way to Petawawa that's good for twisties?
    Thx
    Plus 1.
    Defiantly not a twistie road by any means?
    Scenic, yes.
    And beware the park rangers, your caught doing excessive speed and they will feed you to the bears. They have 0 tolerance for speeders thru the park and will thro the book at you.
    I have come across many moose thru the park, usually early morning or at night. They stick close to the roads in early spring to lick the salt runoff from the road and when the deer flies are out to get some relief.
    You want twisty hit 35 south of 60 on the west side of the park or Elephant Lake road on the easy side. Are are some other hidden gems tucked away thru the area too that I like to keep I myself .
    Oh yea and you must stop in at the visitors center at the east end of the park. They have massive lookout deck out back with binoculars to see the wildlife and a walk thru Algonquin museum downstairs. All free.
    Last edited by boooya; 03-30-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    Just before the park entrance heading east, cheap, cool place to bunk for the night The Wolf Den. Something like 20 bucks a night.
    That place has been closed for years now.
    Barrie and area riders.

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    Plus 1.
    Defiantly not a twistie road by any means?
    Scenic, yes.
    And beware the park rangers, your caught doing excessive speed and they will feed you to the bears. They have 0 tolerance for speeders thru the park and will thro the book at you.
    I have come across many moose thru the park, usually early morning or at night. They stick close to the roads in early spring to lick the salt runoff from the road and when the deer flies are out to get some relief.
    You want twisty hit 35 south of 60 on the west side of the park or Elephant Lake road on the easy side. Are are some other hidden gems tucked away thru the area too that I like to keep I myself .
    Oh yea and you must stop in at the visitors center at the east end of the park. They have massive lookout deck out back with binoculars to see the wildlife and a walk thru Algonquin museum downstairs. All free.
    Did not know that, thanks.

I rode out there last summer during a short tour. Hadn't been to Algonquin in many years before that. Forgot how beautiful it is. I stopped to hike a couple of trails before moving on. Saw one bear.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    We usually do a day trip there when it gets warmer.
    Can I join ? =)

I usually do a group ride a year thu algonquin a year.
    Includes 35 north stopping in Dorset for lunch and the tower climb.
    Still to cold tho .
    Barrie and area riders.

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    I usually do a group ride a year thu algonquin a year.
    Includes 35 north stopping in Dorset for lunch and the tower climb.
    Still to cold tho .
    I will self invite myself then =)