Another newbie here - Whitby

Thread: Another newbie here - Whitby

Homewrecker

Another newbie here - Whitby

Hey all.

Another newbie here. I'm located up in north Whitby/Brooklin.

I've been riding/racing 250 4 stroke dirt bikes for a while and decided to 'take it to the street' after one of my friends convinced me to take the plunge. He got his M2 last year and is riding an '05 GS500.

I've currently got my M1 and am scheduled to take the Durham College course on May 9.

I'm currently looking at getting an '05 or later SV650S. Based on my research and the time that I have spent on torquey 4 strokes I think that the SV650 would be a good fit (6", 230lbs). I sat on a new 2008 model SV650S at the dealer and loved it. But whoever chose the colours available for this year should be shot. Come on, no red or yellow??

Insurance won't be too bad either - around $1k/year based on my experience & age (37).

Anyway, that's it for now.

Re: Another newbie here - Whitby

Welcome to the board .. im also a durham resident as well.

Welcome aboard. Street's a whole different beast but it can be a blast.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Homewrecker

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Welcome aboard. Street's a whole different beast but it can be a blast.
    Thanks. Yeah I know but at least the streets are alot quieter up here - especially the farther North I go. Needless to say I won't be venturing into downtown TO anytime soon.

I've got one piece of advice for ya..
    Whenever you see Ontario plates, be afraid. Be very afraid.
    I hate seeing them on the road regardless of the province/territory/state that I'm in as 9/10 times the biggest retard on the road will be a fellow Ontarian cagin' it.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Welcome

Welcome from another Durham resident.

Moderator Moderator TheGradyTrain's Avatar

Welcome to the board. Enjoy your course!

Welcome to the board
    anyone can hurt a fighter not everyone will get a chance to excuse

welcome to the site..

With your experience, going from dirt to street, you could go with a different bike, ofcourse pending funds...and what you like

PS..any good areas up there for dirt??

Homewrecker

Quote Originally Posted by ts View Post
    welcome to the site..

With your experience, going from dirt to street, you could go with a different bike, ofcourse pending funds...and what you like

PS..any good areas up there for dirt??
    Thanks.

Yeah, I thought about going with a different bike. My friend was trying to unload his '06 GSX-R 600 on me. In reality though, I think it would be very unwise for me to start off with an SS bike. I do love the look of the SV though but I think I will add the lower fairing kit to it.

As for areas to ride in dirt. They are becoming less abundant because of the noisy 4 strokes. I used to ride at the Four Winds MX Park in Port Perry. I spent most of my time riding at Burnt River in Fenlon Falls. If I wanted to go for a quick local tear and press my luck with the cops I'd head over to the Raglan sand pits - never got caught though

Quote Originally Posted by Homewrecker View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah, I thought about going with a different bike. My friend was trying to unload his '06 GSX-R 600 on me. In reality though, I think it would be very unwise for me to start off with an SS bike. I do love the look of the SV though but I think I will add the lower fairing kit to it.

As for areas to ride in dirt. They are becoming less abundant because of the noisy 4 strokes. I used to ride at the Four Winds MX Park in Port Perry. I spent most of my time riding at Burnt River in Fenlon Falls. If I wanted to go for a quick local tear and press my luck with the cops I'd head over to the Raglan sand pits - never got caught though

I love my SV...its a great bike, you'll enjoy it...
    Fenlon Falls hey made a trip there last year on the SV, i wouldn't mind heading back there again with the dirt bike...was a interesting trip..that for sure.

Good luck with you search

Homewrecker

Quote Originally Posted by ts View Post

I love my SV...its a great bike, you'll enjoy it...
    Fenlon Falls hey made a trip there last year on the SV, i wouldn't mind heading back there again with the dirt bike...was a interesting trip..that for sure.

Good luck with you search
    I used to love the drive to Fenlon Falls. I think I'll be doing that drive on my bike whenever I get it. Unfortunately I will only be an MX spectator from now on due to repetitive injuries at both of my elbow/forearm tendons. MX is so hard on the body but the guys on TV make it look so easy. One thing I won't be missing will be the 'arm pump'.

I would love to get an '08 SV but the colours suck this year. The blue is ok but it's a little too dark for my taste. Then there's the white and red/burgundy, wtf ...... I'll see if I can find a 07 or 08 SV in red and order a lower fairing kit from the US.