Attempt to bring in more cash, or simply a disillusioned councillor?

Thread: Attempt to bring in more cash, or simply a disillusioned councillor?

Attempt to bring in more cash, or simply a disillusioned councillor?

So uhm, Adam Giambrone and his advisors and maybe a couple cooky voters decided that the best thing for my street was to have the parking alternate from one side of the street, to the other, in order to "keep things clean."

I've lived in the same house for 20 years now. The cars park on my side of the one way street. Neither my folks nor I have ever complained that the street cleaners only clean the other side. Why would we? It's just some dust anyway. It's not like there's a construction supply depot at the top of the block or anything.

Besides, I believe its a lot safer for the many bicyclists on my street to have all the cars parked on their left. They've got much more room to navigate should a parked car suddenly jut out into the road then if the car was parked on their right, which they must stick close to.

The parking side-switch is schedueled for every 15 days. Meaning, if you're going out of town for 16 days, and you have a legal parking permit to park your vehicle on the street, guess what? You're gonna get a ticket.

All this car shuffling seems a little ridiculous, no? Even more ridiculous: Giambrone sent out a notice saying the parking lane would begin changing on the 15th, but tickets would not be issued immediately. BS! Today, April 16th, only 4 cars were on the new "correct" side of the street. I counted over 20 cars ticketed by the same cop (who for some reason, ticketed all but one car).

My father was a Minister at Queen's Park many years ago, as soon as he saw what was happening he caught up to the cop and tried to explain the situation to the officer (no, not for our sake, the cars were in the driveway, but for the neighbourhood's / yes, there are a couple decent people in politics, or at least there were ). The cop wouldn't hear a word of it.

So how bout some opinions, was all of this a plot to drive up massive income off of tickets at a time of year when many people are making plans to travel abroad. Lets face it, I live in very residential area, close to downtown, most houses DO NOT have driveways, most cars ARE Parked On The Street... but maybe the good Giambrone actually "believed" that this is for the best of the community.

What do you think?

Re: Attempt to bring in more cash, or simply a disillusioned councillor?

I've seen this done on other streets for years now. First half of calendar park on right side. Last half of calendar park on left side.

Ok. That really doesn't answer the question but thanks for coming out =)

Anyone else? lol

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Ok. That really doesn't answer the question but thanks for coming out =)

Anyone else? lol
    How's this a cash grab? Prey on people who don't remember to move their cars on the 15th? Most streets near the core have these crazy parking rules, nothing new.

I think that this sort of thing rarely happens out of the blue. SOMEONE complained that your street wasn't getting properly cleaned, so he reacted. It could even have been another counsellor or citizen who drove through the neighbourhood and declared that it was making Toronto look dirty, or something similar.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Did the majority of your neighbourhood vote him in? Or at least the majority of those that cared? Sometimes you have watch what you wish for.....

The re-election dates back a couple years so I really can't remember.

I just found the timing odd. Spring and summer are quickly approaching. Both Victoria Day and Canada Day are closed to the 1st and 15th of each month, the people on my block will have to scheduel their get-aways a little more attentively.

The Charter gives us the right to freedom of mobility... on municipal conditions that we somehow fly back in time to move our cars or else we'll be ticketed?

I don't think I'm the only person in this forum or on my street who goes away for more than 15 days at a time, am I?

At any rate, I still find something wrong that a councillor warns the people not to be worried, that police will not be enforcing this immediately... yet the very morning after this takes effect, 20+ cars get ticketed by an officer who simply says "go talk to your councillor".

Like I said, it didn't cost me anything, I didn't get ticketed, but this was my first and only home, of course I don't know everyone on the street, but I do know many who just got shafted and I'm sure they will continue to be down the road.

I'd be calling up my counsellor and telling him to get his *** down there, then i'd be telling him to call the parking enforcement and get ALL those tickets thrown away.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    I'd be calling up my counsellor and telling him to get his *** down there, then i'd be telling him to call the parking enforcement and get ALL those tickets thrown away.
    That's really the solution right there. If you've got your councillor on record saying no immediat enforcement, he will make them go away.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post

The parking side-switch is schedueled for every 15 days. Meaning, if you're going out of town for 16 days, and you have a legal parking permit to park your vehicle on the street, guess what? You're gonna get a ticket.
    I know some streets alternate sides every so many days or months but how does that work if you're going for vacation out of country for say a month or 2 or 3 or more? Can you have a valid parking permit for more than a month?

Just throwing ideas out but can you organize a petition and get all your neighbours signature on it? Than have your dad personally present it to that TTC guy along with the rest of your neighbors. I think that TTC guy would want another re-election don't you?

In some places in NY, the correct side for parking is often determined by the hour of the day. It's funny to see people all hop into their cars 10 minutes to the hour, wait, and then park on the opposite side.
    Shama-la-ma-ding dong!