Getting pulled over etiquette? - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting pulled over etiquette?

Not a problem, become a part time cop

I just show him my own badge and he nods me off.

Works in radar traps too.

Doesn't work however in trying to PU chics.....lol
    One bike isn't enough.

Re: Getting pulled over etiquette?

Nobody has mentioned sunglasses yet. Take them off if you are wearing them. Makes the cop feel more comfortable when they can see your eyes. When I got pulled over on a bike, it was key off, sidestand down, sitting on bike, helmet on. I didn't actually lean the bike on the stand as the gravel shoulder was pretty soft, but it let him know I wasn't planning on taking off.

Quote Originally Posted by amp3d View Post
    To me, as bad as it sounds...running is usually feasible.
    I was in a camping store shopping for a new kayak on the weekend, ended up explaining Bill 203 to them (naturally, they had no idea what it was).

Even the vegans were wondering why anybody on a bike would stop.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Quote Originally Posted by ZiN View Post
    I think thats the most disturbing part of that exchange of words, there is a lot to be inferred by that comment.
    It was a jab because we both looked young even in our late 20's. I think he though we were his children or something. Thank god he didn't try and spank us. Regardless its always funny when cops wonder where the 'them vs. us' comes from. hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Nobody has mentioned sunglasses yet. Take them off if you are wearing them. Makes the cop feel more comfortable when they can see your eyes. When I got pulled over on a bike, it was key off, sidestand down, sitting on bike, helmet on. I didn't actually lean the bike on the stand as the gravel shoulder was pretty soft, but it let him know I wasn't planning on taking off.
    Didn't even think to mention that. If I'm wearing sunglasses and take my helmet off without first removing them, they generally cause injury

It's worth noting though. I do the same thing every time that I cross the border to the US.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    How else is an officer to determine that you are properly licensed and insured to legally have your vehicle on the road, but to stop and request that you prove it? I used to object to this "document check" procedure, but then I was stopped several times in a group, in which someone wasn't legal.
    How many times have you been pulled over in your car and asked the same thing? The same amount of times? I think not. Stop sucking up to the cops Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    How many times have you been pulled over in your car and asked the same thing? The same amount of times? I think not. Stop sucking up to the cops Rob.
    Precisely once, to the three times that I've been pulled over for a document check on my bike. Oddly enough it seems that a far larger percentage of people are riding motorcycles without proper papers than are driving cars in that condition.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

if you get pulled over, then u are gonna get a ticket. keep your answers to yes and No and don't explain anything to officer, talking more gets you in trouble and he sees it as exuse. (explaining, do it at court)

Dont be nice, just normal. Usually they go on power trips when u are nice

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Precisely once, to the three times that I've been pulled over for a document check on my bike. Oddly enough it seems that a far larger percentage of people are riding motorcycles without proper papers than are driving cars in that condition.
    And you're basing that on what facts? Source? Or are you making things up again? And isn't that "profiling"? You admit you are pulled over more often on your bike than your car, and that's not harassment? So let's say there are "facts" that young Asian men commit more crimes, so, Rob, you think its OK for the cops to stop every Asian they see and demand ID, question them and make sure they "check out" OK. After all its about the percentages so it couldn't possibly be harassment!

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    I had the oposite experience happen the other day. I was the passenger in a work vehicle in the driver did a rolling stop at a stop sign in an unpopulated area (i have to question why the officer set up a trap there. must have been complaints) and when we pulled over for the officer the conversation went like this.

Officer: Do you know what a stop sign means?
    Driver: Yes I'm sorry.
    Officer: Yes I'm sorry what?
    Driver: pardon?
    Officer: I'm not one of your buddies so don't talk to me like one.
    Driver: (looks confussed) huh?
    Officer: Its yes I'm sorry SIR!
    Driver: oh ok... I'm sorry sir
    Officer: Don't ever let me catch you failling to come to a complete stop. The wheels must come to a complete stop and pause before proceeding.
    Driver: I know I'm really sorry it won't happen again.
    Officer: Won't happen again what?
    Driver: It won't happen again sir.
    Officer: Don't they teach you people any respect? Get out of here I don't want to see you again.

If I was in your shoes and had a cop hassle me like that, guarantee I would get arrested for telling him to go F himself. For the "SIR" comment alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    And you're basing that on what facts? Source? Or are you making things up again? And isn't that "profiling"? You admit you are pulled over more often on your bike than your car, and that's not harassment? So let's say there are "facts" that young Asian men commit more crimes, so, Rob, you think its OK for the cops to stop every Asian they see and demand ID, question them and make sure they "check out" OK. After all its about the percentages so it couldn't possibly be harassment!
    I'm not stating facts, I'm stating my opinion that is based on personal experience. I never made a claim of fact.

As to profiling, it's a valuable law enforcement tool. Why else would organizations like RCMP and FBI have people on staff called "profilers"? You are over simplifying and amplifying in an effort to make your point, but it ill serves you.

*EDIT* When else have I "made things up"?

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post

Officer: Do you know what a stop sign means?
    Driver: Yes I'm sorry.
    Officer: Yes I'm sorry what?
    Driver: pardon?
    Officer: I'm not one of your buddies so don't talk to me like one.
    Driver: (looks confussed) huh?
    Officer: Its yes I'm sorry SIR!
    Me: Well might as well give me a ticket then cause there's no f'ing way I'm calling you sir. Are we done?
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

I know its the internet and all, but for some reason I think if half you guys acted the way you SAY you do when you're pulled over, you'd be in court every other day and have absolutely no time to post stories of bravado on an internet forum.

Acting like a tough guy to a cop is really a great way to assure yourself of a ticket, BS or not. Sure you will probably get your way in court (if you're intelligent), but why make it harder on yourself? Short, curt responses and zero attitude can go a long way in getting you a warning rather than a ticket. I automatically use 'sir or mam' without thinking about it - provided the cop doesn't treat me like a scum bag. They're doing their job, whether I agree with it or not, I can understand, somewhat, where they are coming from. They're not all out to get you.

Obviously this doesn't apply to the real prick cowboy cops, but in my experience, they are few and far between, unless your riding style attracts all types of negative attention - in that case, you really do deserve what you get.
    "So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life." - Office Space

As I've already said.. Using the titles like sir, ma'am, constable, officer makes them lose their respect for you. They'll think you're more likely to just pay for the ticket and forget about it, so they'll slap you with one to look good on the stat sheets. If you keep the chatter to a minimum (just yes, no and body gestures), the cop will realize that you're not going to give him anything and he's more likely to let you off with a warning (5% chance instead of a 2% chance).
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    As I've already said.. Using the titles like sir, ma'am, constable, officer makes them lose their respect for you. They'll think you're more likely to just pay for the ticket and forget about it, so they'll slap you with one to look good on the stat sheets. If you keep the chatter to a minimum (just yes, no and body gestures), the cop will realize that you're not going to give him anything and he's more likely to let you off with a warning (5% chance instead of a 2% chance).
    Yeah I don't agree with that. Riding a sportbike and looking real young, I find cops WANT to hear 'yes sir no sir' because they want you to at least recognize their authority. A lot of police officers become police officers because of the power. I really don't see how acknowledging their authority will increase my chances of getting a ticket.

Once upon a time, a friend and I were riding incredibly stupid. Exceeding the flow of traffic on the 404 by at least 30-40, weaving, dangerous lane changes, etc. Traffic came to a halt near the 401, we slowed down.

2 Motorcycle cops came screaming from behind us, one lane split and locked up his rear tire and slid his bike sideways in front of us to a halt. I was so stunned by the sudden appearance and manuever, I momentarily forgot about how ****ed we were if they saw even a fraction of the **** we had just did.

Long story short - we acted properly cowed and frightened, they yelled us for quite some time, threatened us, checked our papers and licenses. One of them even tried instigating me, by saying 'wipe the smirk off my face, you think this is funny?'

Cooler heads prevailed, didn't take the bait - and what happens? We get a warning. They could have EASILY thrown us in jail and taken our bikes. Instead they let us off with a warning - why? Because we acknowledged we were in the wrong and at their mercy.

As the saying goes - you can catch a lot more bees with honey.

There is no textbook way to act to a roadside situation - but a little respect and courtesy can go a long way in a cop's mind when the adrenaline is pumping.
    "So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life." - Office Space

They're used to getting what they want and handing tickets to every sucker that "yes sirs" and "no sirs" them. I am not saying that you should be rude to them, but treat them as normal human beings.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

I signal, pull over, and turn off the bike. I remove the key and put it in my pocket FIRST. Then I get off the bike and put the kickstand down. Helmet and gloves off and put on the ground next to the rear tire.I stand with the bike between me and the cop (usually me on the curb side) and I keep my hands in plain sight.

The more comfortable and safe a cop feels, the better a chance he is going to give me a break.

Nites

... I lock myself in handcuffs, lay on the ground face down and shoot myself in my head. This way I show total respect and courtesy to the cop, he feels totally comfortable and no chance I get a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    They're used to getting what they want and handing tickets to every sucker that "yes sirs" and "no sirs" them. I am not saying that you should be rude to them, but treat them as normal human beings.
    So you are saying you do not treat normal human beings with respect then? Ever wonder why you get treated like you do? Perhaps it is not them.

Quote Originally Posted by bear22099 View Post
    So you are saying you do not treat normal human beings with respect then? Ever wonder why you get treated like you do? Perhaps it is not them.
    I've often wondered what happened to the simple courtesies our society used to employ. There was a time in which no one would dare mouth off to an authority figure. No matter what you might think of the person, you gave respect to the position. I think that our society is far poorer for it's lack.