Getting pulled over etiquette?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting pulled over etiquette?

Getting pulled over etiquette?

So when I get pulled over in my car, I stop, roll down my window and put both hands on my steering wheel, and if I can, get my license, reg, and insurance ready.

What do you do when you get pulled over on your bike? Stay on it? Get off? Keep it running? Turn it off? What's the proper way to pull over?

Re: Getting pulled over etiquette?

turn the bike off, stay on the bike, keep your helmet on, keep your hands in plain sight, ie on the tank

Andrew - Scarberia

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    So when I get pulled over in my car, I stop, roll down my window and put both hands on my steering wheel, and if I can, get my license, reg, and insurance ready.

What do you do when you get pulled over on your bike? Stay on it? Get off? Keep it running? Turn it off? What's the proper way to pull over?
    Stop. Kick Stand. If you have 4 ways, put 'em on. Turn off the bike. Get off the bike. Stand beside it. The last one seemed important last time I got pulled over.

If you want to make the best out of a bad situation, drop the aggressive body language and additude. I dont like to use the Yes Sir/No Sir kiss a** either. Anybody can see thru that.

My suggestion takes away the worry that you'll run. Dude might still be an arse though!

I follow much the same routine as leedufour. Pull over and put the bike on the sidestand. Turn off bike. Remove helmet and place it between the handlebars. Dismount the bike TO THE RIGHT (curb) SIDE.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

In any case, keep your answers as brief as possible. If he tries to make you admit that you were speeding or running, you can also use non-verbal communication..
    5-0: Are you in a hurry?
    You: No
    5-0: So why were you going so fast?
    You: [Shrug with the shoulders]
    The less you give him, the less they'll have on you in court.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

head butt 'em

unless he's wearing a helmet it's going to hurt him

NOT!

......as we know, cops generally hate bikers....Respect him no matter what past instances you have had with other officers. They try to intimidate you to say something stupid. I don't believe in yes sir no sir either, but if your a jerk to a cop he will over power you so fast!
    1993 FZR 600

Actually they lose respect for you and start pushing you around if you're overly formal/polite. That's why "yes" is better than a "yes constable" or "yes sir." You are still cooperating without making yourself sound like a [2. a female of canines generally.]
    In any case, you have no good reason to be extra-polite. They are under such pressure to generate revenue, that chances are they are going to ticket you if they took the time to pull you over even if the ticket is b.s. (*)

(*) That's unless you're a hot-looking chick.. Chances are 9/10 you'll cry your way out of the ticket (work on dem crocodile tears, ladies)
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Make sure you take your helmet off, Apparently it makes them jumpy when they cant see your face.
    Yes I have bad Spelling, Yes I have bad grammar, and no, I don’t care if it bugs you.

88 Suzuki Kantana-Crashed@ 69K
    01- Kawi zzr250 18K-sold
    87/02 Honda hurricane/600rr hybrid. 76K still going.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

Quote Originally Posted by newbieracer View Post
    Make sure you take your helmet off, Apparently it makes them jumpy when they cant see your face.
    Its true, they want to be able to identify you. Plus, it shows you arent likely to up and run (on the bike at least).

Also, as a courtesy that is much appreciated, pull over in an area where it is safe for both you and the cop to get out of the vehicle with minimal interruption to traffic.
    CHOWDAH RIDAH

2007 ZX-14 -92,000km
    2006 BW'S -7,000km
    2005 ZX636R -63,533km (stolen)
    2004 SV650S -30,000km (sold)
    2003 ZZR250 -15,000km (sold)

Current tire choice: Pirelli Angel
    Last tire choice: Road Smart- 19,000 on last set (not the best though..)
    CSC Certified Riding Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by leedufour View Post
    Stop. Kick Stand. If you have 4 ways, put 'em on. Turn off the bike. Get off the bike. Stand beside it. The last one seemed important last time I got pulled over.
    that's the best if I will be getting pulled over.
    1983 CB750SC Nighthawk
    1984 CB750SC Nighthawk
    1985 GoldWing

Quote Originally Posted by sunday411 View Post
    that's the best if I will be getting pulled over.
    GOLDWINGERS BACK!
    Knowledge Without Mileage is Useless

*worry about your own spelling not mine.

ummm....you guys pull over?

lol
    AM#98

2004 GSX-R600
    2006 300C AWD HEMI
    2008 Porsche 987s
    ----------------------
    Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

stop.
    kick stand.
    get off.
    sit down.
    take off helmet. (let them see your face)

thats all i did.

Last time, actualy first time I was ever pulled over (and I've been driving for 16yrs). I didn't even have a chance to get my helmet off.

I pulled over as soon as I saw the officer, killed the bike and raised my hands to show I was removing my gloves (to get my helmet off). Before I could get them off he was on the crusiers speaker telling me to take my hemet off. All I could do was shake my head yes until I had my gloves off.

Next thing I know as my helmet is comming off & he is standing next to me (left side) close enough I couldn't lean the bike over without hitting him when he asked me rest the bike on the stand (but stay on bike). He had to repeat himself until I had my had my earplugs out. He didn't like that.

I know I wasn't being the perfect driver when he pulled me over, but I was not prepared for the berating he gave me. All in that yelly voice.

I was expecting a firm tone/serious manner experience (I have been in cars pulled over as a passenger many times), but this was an experience and not a plesant one. I get the job is tough and not all police are the same (I have friends & family who are officers), but some of the accusations were a bit much for me. All I could think of was, OK I admit it, I deserve a ticket but did you have to be a douch about it.

Either way it's in the past, but if I get pulled over again I'll definatly be more on guard for a more overbearing (upset?) officer & not be taken aback by it.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Quote Originally Posted by newbieracer View Post
    yes take your helmet off but don't keep it in your hands, they might see it as a weapon. Hang it off your mirror or something.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Just what everybody else mentioned: dismount on the right and keep the bike between you and the officer

Once, I reached for my baseball hat because I had long hair, just wanted to look tidy, i was aware that removing the helmet made my hair look puffy and huge... the officer didn't like that, ordered me to forget about the hat... so, you should stay calm and don't reach for anything under the passenger seat, you don't want to make people nervous...
    Security transcends technology

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosSantiago View Post
    Just what everybody else mentioned: dismount on the right and keep the bike between you and the officer

Once, I reached for my baseball hat because I had long hair, just wanted to look tidy, i was aware that removing the helmet made my hair look puffy and huge... the officer didn't like that, ordered me to forget about the hat... so, you should stay calm and don't reach for anything under the passenger seat, you don't want to make people nervous...
    Dude, you get stopped by the police and all you're concerned about is your hair?

In addition to good advice about turning off the bike, taking out the key, stepping safely to the side, removing helmet and gloves I would add:

[1] make sure you stop in a safe manner and so the cop can also safely stop behind you, e.g. nothing wrong with turning off onto a side street if you're on a main road. Of course signal your intentions.

[2] make sure he can see your hands at all times. Plainly visible i.e. don't go diving into a pocket without asking permission. Show palms up & splay the fingers at least once so he can see there's nothing hidden.
    * It's about safety, stupid.