Tire pressure for Dragstrip?

Thread: Tire pressure for Dragstrip?

Tire pressure for Dragstrip?

I have an R6 with Pirelli Diablo III, what pressure should I be running while I'm at the dragstrip? last time I was running 26 psi front and 28 psi rear, I feel it should be lower, but by how much?

Re: Tire pressure for Dragstrip?

Quote Originally Posted by dvu3 View Post
    I have an R6 with Pirelli Diablo III, what pressure should I be running while I'm at the dragstrip? last time I was running 26 psi front and 28 psi rear, I feel it should be lower, but by how much?
    Did you have a traction issue off the line?
    One thing to do is log as much info as possible for each run.
    That way when you alter something you can tell if it improved things or made it worse.

This is just a guess: The tires on your bike recommend ~36 front and ~42 rear.
    Think about that, long and hard.

The front tire pressure is almost irrelavant, assuming it's close to normal.
    If you want to play with tire pressure, while riding your bike to the maximum, with concrete walls only inches away - do yourself a favour. Hit up ebay, or get an inexpensive rear wheel from someone, and get yourself a Shinko drag tire for drag days, I think they are 003's, and they are burnout friendly.
    If you've ever seen bikes go on Pinks - they are all wearing Shinko rears, unless they are alcohol / nitrous bikes with slicks. (R6 won't need a slick)
    Burnouts on diablos, or similar is a waste of rubber. It won't cut of 1/100th off the clock.
    As Lee mentioned - document your every move, air temp, etc if you're serious about it. Like any sport / activity - practice, practice, practice, and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by banned it View Post
    This is just a guess: The tires on your bike recommend ~36 front and ~42 rear.
    Think about that, long and hard.

The front tire pressure is almost irrelavant, assuming it's close to normal.
    If you want to play with tire pressure, while riding your bike to the maximum, with concrete walls only inches away - do yourself a favour. Hit up ebay, or get an inexpensive rear wheel from someone, and get yourself a Shinko drag tire for drag days, I think they are 003's, and they are burnout friendly.
    If you've ever seen bikes go on Pinks - they are all wearing Shinko rears, unless they are alcohol / nitrous bikes with slicks. (R6 won't need a slick)
    Burnouts on diablos, or similar is a waste of rubber. It won't cut of 1/100th off the clock.
    As Lee mentioned - document your every move, air temp, etc if you're serious about it. Like any sport / activity - practice, practice, practice, and have fun!
    Tire recommendation's on the tire are max's. The one's in the owner's manual are recommended for daily street riding etc. 36/42 is far far too high IMHO for general riding. I run 30/30ish during standard riding /trackday depending on weather. Specifications printed in a book are meaningless.

You are all right on one thing. Grab a book, a thermometer (laser be best), and start writing down your times, plus track temps, tire temps, tire inflation, time on warmers etc.

Nites

Too many variables.

..... and then there's your suspension and how it was set up .....
    Andrew
    '05 CB919 and '04 CB599 shared with the missus (Jenerator)

Quote Originally Posted by NiteshadeTA View Post
    Tire recommendation's on the tire are max's. The one's in the owner's manual are recommended for daily street riding etc. 36/42 is far far too high IMHO for general riding. I run 30/30ish during standard riding /trackday depending on weather. Specifications printed in a book are meaningless.

You are all right on one thing.

Nites
    Big difference from street --> track --> dragstrip. The OP was inquiring about the drags.

You must not tip the toledos at all - I could never get away with 30 lbs - I'd flat spot the tire in an hour

Oh my head hurts

And yes I did have traction issues off the line

did you do a burnout first????

if you did, DON'T and see what happens.....
    bet you'll get better grip, at least if you have a street tire that is.....

doing a burnout on street tires will bring out oils to the surface, which in turn will cause a slip off the line.
    Street tires on cars are the same way, if not worse.

Street tires arn't made to do burnouts, there ment for best traction, at regular operation tempature.
    riding a moped is like having sex with a fat chick.
    sure it may be fun, but you don't want your friends to find out

00 ZX12R

Run the front as hard as you are comfortable with.
    If you're running a radial all you are going to do is shred the tire by using a real low pressure in the rear.
    Start by dropping the pressure a couple of pounds and watch your 60' times.

I run a bias ply tire at about 15#.

I don't change the pressure from street to strip yet. 42lbs back and front.
    I have a goal of sub 10 and don't want too many variables to deal with. Track temp, air temp and my head are the variables right now.
    That being said, you were most likely on a cold track so things will be different once it gets gummy and the issue (wheel spin) should go away.
    I haven't done a burnout yet and won't until I start spinning the wheel off the line regularly. For now I'm balancing between clutch, throttle and front end lift.

yeah... last week I was struggling with tire spin and accidental wheelies, drove me insane!!