Katana 600, wheelie help?

Thread: Katana 600, wheelie help?

Katana 600, wheelie help?

This will be my second season riding. I love my katana as my first bike. Though i cannot lift the front wheel if my life depended on it.

I've tried rolling at 15-20km/h, pulling clutch in, revving to 10,000 and letting go of clutch. Nothing, just jerks me forward. Tried standing up, bouncing on the fork and then letting er rip, nothing.

I know its possible, i've heard its hard, but i want to be able to learn how to do them on my katana >.<

any advice?

Re: Katana 600, wheelie help?

stock up on fork seals. The Katana is not a good bike for wheelies.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm a bit of a stunting noob myself...

Assuming you're letting the clutch go quickly enough and you're staying on the throttle after....

How do you Define "bouncing?" When most people hear this, they think its just rocking the front fork with their arms. If this is what you're doing, try bouncing on your pegs to generate a little more lift. You can also try tapping the rear brake to load the front suspension just before you release the clutch for a similar effect... or even both.

A lot of times people will say "don't pull on the bars." I wholeheartedly agreee with all of them....to a degree. In the act of pulling on the bars, your arms themselves aren't really doing much for you... but the related shift in weight that results from such a motion can help. Some may disagree with this, and rightfully so... nobody wants to get tankslapped, but its been working out relatively well for me so far.

Honestly though.. 10K RPM seems pretty high. Be careful out there.

Try shifting your weight to the back.

I had an old 600 Kat, I could get the wheel up about 2-3 feet(nothing to write home about) I would put it into second, Stand, transfer my weight back as far as it would go, and power wheelie up.

hope this helps at all.
    Yes I have bad Spelling, Yes I have bad grammar, and no, I don’t care if it bugs you.

88 Suzuki Kantana-Crashed@ 69K
    01- Kawi zzr250 18K-sold
    87/02 Honda hurricane/600rr hybrid. 76K still going.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

I am not the best at doing wheelies on streetbikes yet, but its wayyy easier to do it if your weight is back.

Sitting farther back may not do the trick. Try putting your left foot back on the passenger pegs, and raise stand up a bit. This will make your weight shift back and more and hopefully help out. This also will tend to result in you "pulling up" on the bars as mentioned a couple post prior to this one.

Always remember to keep your right foot over the rear brake though.
    Also, remember that your bike is heavy and will want to come down on the front hard. Make sure that you give it some gas when you bring the front down. That means make sure you have lots of room to run off your wheelie! Don't try a wheelie on a street or anywhere where you may be forced to use the back brake to bring the front down because it will come down hard!

I havent been on a Katana 600 but I have been on a 750 and I dont think it will be very easy to do!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

If I ever get the front wheel up you will be the first to know.
    .................If you are gonna ride my *ss, at least pull my hair..
    SMILE. It's the second best thing you can do with your lips KNOW YOUR LIMIT, RIDE WITHIN IT......please no more R.I.P
    RIDE SAFE ALL,
    Smiles...Kari
    02' GSX600F, 05' Hayabusa
    SPONSOR ME......... http://www.runforthecure.com/site/TR...nal&fr_id=1094

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=900740584

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ind...cancitieson_en

Good luck with getting that wheel up, used to have a kat back in the day. I could get the wheel up a few feet but burnt through my clutch in no time. Remeber thats a heavy bike and you will be replacing your fork seals a lot if you plan on stunting that bike.

If you want to stunt with it, the best thing is to change the sprockets but then you will loose all top end speed. The Kat is a great touring bike but pretty useless when it comes to stunting.

I can do wheelies no problem on most motorcycles I have owned. My gf has a 600 Katana....and if you stand on the back pegs, hit a speed bump in first gear, dump the clutch and throw your weight back, you might be able to get it off the ground. If you do, let me know as you accomplished more than I could.
    Keep the front wheel in the air and the shiny side up.

Guelph
    Past bikes-77 Yam YZ100, 80 Hon CR125, 84 Yam XT600, 86 Hon CR250, 87 Yam TW200, 03 Hon CBR954, 05 Busa
    Current bikes- 08 Busa, 06 Hon CRF50

There's a few vids on youtube, do a search for katana wheelie.

A few stunt on kats.. not often mind you. But can be done.
    Dem man nah realize de way I do de technology way don't I identify dey oola dem idiot sound bwoy already ya nah rude bwoy

Keep Playing with your Clutching and , pre-load your front suspension and then transfer weight back in pulling action.
    If your gonna do stupid stuff you better be tough