Highway 401 WARNING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highway 401 WARNING

Highway 401 WARNING

Based on today's travels, motorcycles should avoid the 401 both directions between Milton (exit 320) and Guelph (exit 299) until the MoT finishes their re-paving job. If you HAVE to go there, crank up that steering damper, you're going to need it ...

Right now, they've scratched up the surface in preparation, and done an absolute nasty job of it. It was making my Jetta move around. I would not want to ride on that crap - unpleasant at best, dangerous at worst.

Re: Highway 401 WARNING

It was fairly nasty. We actually went to Guelph to take advantage of the crappy weather and do some gear shopping. That stuff is extra slippery when wet and requires a bit of experience to handle.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Lol, found this post a day too late.

Yeah it's pretty knarly on the bike, inbetween Guelph Ln. & Trafalgar. 15th Sideroad is pretty clean now and makes a nice bypass around the rough stuff.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Oh man that was a some scary **** at first. Hit it Two weeks ago on my way back from London (went there on the QEW/403/etc). Real nasty. When I went through it was usually only 2 out of 3 lanes so you could jump across the lanes to try and avoid it, but believe me it is not fun to ride on. Absolutely horrible job they've done on it too.

I'm probably heading back to London today... I'll definitely be planning a detour.

Brian

just ride the fast lane less potholes. from milton to guelph is brutal. one day i counted on the way to my dads and i think i counted 32 holes in 6km...in the middle and right lanes

Someone is going to die on some grading one of these days.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Any chance we can make this a sticky or even a section for warnings like this? I'm not currently riding and probably wont for some time. But info like this would be a lot of help when planning trips.

I'm currently commuting from Toronto to Woodstock everyday, and the only reason I'm not riding my bike (other then the cold temps at 5:30am) is this grating. I'll wait until they are done.

They should have warning signs up for motorcyclists a couple exits before.

BoGs

I ride that every now and then its horrid. My car swivels in the grade but when im on my bike it feels like i am going to loose it .... absolutely garbage.

Moderator Moderator TheGradyTrain's Avatar

Also westbound 401 out of Durham and through Scarborough have some graded sections. They're always quick to chew it up to eliminate the pothole issues. Then they're slow as all heck getting the pavers out to replace the new blacktop.

East bound 401 collectors at brock rd is horrible, threw my civic right out of its lane, and massive chunks missing
    Yes I have bad Spelling, Yes I have bad grammar, and no, I don’t care if it bugs you.

88 Suzuki Kantana-Crashed@ 69K
    01- Kawi zzr250 18K-sold
    87/02 Honda hurricane/600rr hybrid. 76K still going.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

I ended up going from Waterloo to TO @ 9PM at night when it was 2-3C a couple weeks back... traffic on 401 doesnt slow down for anyone/anything especially between Waterloo and TO... horrible but incident free ride home...
    -- Me fail English? That's unpossible.
    -- This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.

401 Eastbound between Winston Churchill and Mavis is all tore up now too. Really sucks on the bike! It's probably the same going westbound.

I already got a stone chip on my tank going from Kitchener to Mississauga last Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
    Lol, found this post a day too late.

Yeah it's pretty knarly on the bike, inbetween Guelph Ln. & Trafalgar. 15th Sideroad is pretty clean now and makes a nice bypass around the rough stuff.

just a peice of the advice, i already took the 401 between mississauga and waterloo a few times in the past few weeks, just don't try to fight the bike from waving, make any sudden changes in speed or direction, just ride it out, and you will be ok.

Nas
    FOR SALE:
    2003 Kawasaki Z1000 $5000
    plus TONS of bike parts..... www.masalma.com

Floats like a butterfly, & stings like a Z!

they've done the same thing to the 427 between hwy 7 and 409ish area. beware. if its windy its worse.
    - Matt

i travel from milton (james snow parkway) to mississauga (dixie road) every morning on the 401 and for about 30 seconds just after erin mills parkway and before mavis there is that really messed up road where there doing construction the first time i went on it i thought i was gonna die and to boot there was this big gust of dirt and sand when i was going through it and i couldn't see 2 feet in front of me. thank god I got out of it but since i leave for work at 4am there isnt a lot of traffic on the 401 so i just slow down now with the 4 ways on or i get off the exit before if traffic is a bit heavy.

i take that damn route everyday to woodstock and back!! ITs killing my tires and suspension in my car. I'll dare not ride that on my bike. If I were you guys, i'll wait until september when all the grading is done and the potholes all repaired. This is poor planning and execution of road repairs by a incompetent institution such as the MTO. Shame on them.

the province has done nothing recently to correct the mess they created . this is ridiculas !! i sent my tax money in on time , shouldn't they keep to their schedule & start making some fresh pavement over all that nasty road between milton & cambridge !!! like WTF , they did a few section for a week or so and haven't attempted any further repairs for weeks ; are they waiting for next winter to make it worse 1st , this is making alot of ppl angry ! i've seen a few cars with flats lately & had a buddy get his window chiped by flying stone . even seen a 18wheeler losing the contents of it's trailer b/c the bumps had loosened his rear gate ! we should declare that section of hwy property of some 3rd world country if they continue to ignore it . my gas mileage & tire life is definetely worse in the cage & from what i hear , it's a dreaded ride for those bikers who have travelled it !

Da Bridge 06 636, 05 R6, 03 R6, FZR600, CR500R and .....

Breaks up the monotany .......
    Gotta have somethin to keep me awake.....
    Can't speed...........can't switch lanes to break it up.......
    I say leave em.....makes it interseting..

Thinkin about it takes all the fun out of it !