So I got the dumbest ticket tonight... - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So I got the dumbest ticket tonight...

Re: So I got the dumbest ticket tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    He meant there weren't enough rain grooves which would explain the racing tires which are not street legal. The ticket is valid.
    Don't know the details of that DOT rating but that tire does not look safe for wet weather.

This is my FAVORITE tidbit about this site.

People who actually ADMIT they have little or no knowledge about a particular subject offering someone advice..

RG, I have a severly torn rotator cuff, and several damaged ligaments in my right hand from a recent crash, perhaps you could call surgeon and recommend a course of action to resolve these issues?

menglor

take the the bike to a bike shop, ask if the tire would pass a safety, if they say yes, ask for a letter so you can take it to court.

if they say no, then your paying the ticket.

I am not sure if bike tires have wear lines, but Car tires do.

You can fight it and you may beat the ticket but if you switch to street tires and provide a receipt and work order, the judge will let it go. Don't know the details of that DOT rating but that tire does not look safe for wet weather.
    The tire is 100% legal for the street...

Now if he was down to the wear bars then that is a different story.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    This is my FAVORITE tidbit about this site.

People who actually ADMIT they have little or no knowledge about a particular subject offering someone advice..

RG, I have a severly torn rotator cuff, and several damaged ligaments in my right hand from a recent crash, perhaps you could call surgeon and recommend a course of action to resolve these issues?
    Okay so I overstated my knowledge about tires. But having a bald tire can get you a ticket. It's happened to me. I got it replaced and the judge dismissed the ticket.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by bear22099 View Post
    The most obvious way is to simply take the bike, the ticket and a printout of the regs (http://www.canlii.org/on/laws/regu/1...318/whole.html) to the station that officer works out of, and see the sargent there. Explain it to him, show him the bike, the ticket and the regs, and ask him to have the ticket cancelled. They can do that.

You may want to also print out the web site page on that tire as well to show it is not a branded or race only tire.

You may have to wait until he talks to the officer as well, and if there are parts to this story you are leaving out here, then you will end up having to go to court.
    Damn good advise...

For a change
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

That is terrible.

Was he fallowing you or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    DOT = Department of Transportation which is a US based entity. If you look at Canadian laws, they allow tires and helmets which are DOT approved. There may be other regulations, but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking specifically about DOT... and if it is DOT approved it will not say "For off road use only"... therefore it is legal in Canada.
    Canada does not care about DOT on a tire. There is nothing in the regs about having that on the tire, not one mention. They are quite clear on what cannot be on the tire though. Give them a read sometime.

I wanna see a picture of your actual tire.
    Try to take a picture of the wear bar.

Do you have a tred depth guage? or a Digital caliper or something?
    Tred depth guages are about $2.99 at princess auto.

If you indeed have plenty of life left on your perfectly street legal tire, this borders on harassment.

I'd love to see a news story on undue harassment of a motorcyclist based on police prejudice. That would be a fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    I wanna see a picture of your actual tire.
    Try to take a picture of the wear bar.

Do you have a tred depth guage? or a Digital caliper or something?
    Tred depth guages are about $2.99 at princess auto.

If you indeed have plenty of life left on your perfectly street legal tire, this borders on harassment.

I'd love to see a news story on undue harassment of a motorcyclist based on police prejudice. That would be a fun read.
    the crown would just drop the charge due to lack of evidence and waste your time of getting off work to fight this stupid ticket.

my pilot powers have wear indicators, so i'm pretty sure the supercorsa's do as well.

Canada does not care about DOT on a tire. There is nothing in the regs about having that on the tire, not one mention. They are quite clear on what cannot be on the tire though. Give them a read sometime.

That's not what I said... I said that if it is a DOT approved tire in the US, it will not have anything that says it can't be used in Canada. So by deduction... if a tire is DOT approved in the US it is also legal in Canada.

Is this always an option? Seems far too logical for our justice system...

The most obvious way is to simply take the bike, the ticket and a printout of the regs (http://www.canlii.org/on/laws/regu/1...318/whole.html) to the station that officer works out of, and see the sargent there. Explain it to him, show him the bike, the ticket and the regs, and ask him to have the ticket cancelled. They can do that.

You may want to also print out the web site page on that tire as well to show it is not a branded or race only tire.

You may have to wait until he talks to the officer as well, and if there are parts to this story you are leaving out here, then you will end up having to go to court.
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

supercorsa's do have wear marks.

http://www.1000hp.net/magazin/pirell...reifenbild.jpg

look closely on the rear tire.

Quote Originally Posted by scarface View Post
    the crown would just drop the charge due to lack of evidence and waste your time of getting off work to fight this stupid ticket.

my pilot powers have wear indicators, so i'm pretty sure the supercorsa's do as well.

All modern tires have wear indicators... Wear indicators should not be used to write a ticket.

Friend has a Subaru, after taking the car to the track the tires are showing the cords on one edge, and the wear indicators are not even close to show on the center of the tire. My point is, wear indicators are not really accurate way to determine the condition of a tire...

NOTE: My bike rides great even when the cords are showing
    Security transcends technology

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosSantiago View Post
    All modern tires have wear indicators... Wear indicators should not be used to write a ticket.

Friend has a Subaru, after taking the car to the track the tires are showing the cords on one edge, and the wear indicators are not even close to show on the center of the tire. My point is, wear indicators are not really accurate way to determine the condition of a tire...

NOTE: My bike rides great even when the cords are showing

Wear indicators should be used to write a ticket...
    But they should not be used exclusively.

If your at the wear bars... a ticket seem valid.
    If your no-where near the wear bar, but cords are showing, a ticket also seems valid!

If your no-where near the wear bar, but cords are showing, a ticket also seems valid!
    I don't agree...

Let me go home, will take and post some pictures of my own rear tire... it is at the wear bars but it is perfectly safe!

Da Bridge 06 636, 05 R6, 03 R6, FZR600, CR500R and .....

FYI : Unless the cop had a treadwear depth gauge, and the specs for this tire with him......or the cords are hangin out.....
    I'd say it won't go past the crown.
    Even if it is to the wear bars in the center, it would be a "subjective call" and be very defendable in court.(especially motorcycle tires)
    Keep ur mouth shut about the "harassment angle for now.....(after it's dropped is another story)
    Go waste a few hours at the courthouse.

And yes, I work at a tire shop that my friend owns....

Thinkin about it takes all the fun out of it !

if the cop is giving a ticket due to excessive wear then the only way he can assess the the wear is from the indicator. car tires and bike tires are definately not the same. almost all motorcycle road tires will wear in the middle the most, so the tread indicators are relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosSantiago View Post
    I don't agree...

Let me go home, will take and post some pictures of my own rear tire... it is at the wear bars but it is perfectly safe!
    Pictures aren't necessarry, but if you have 'em, post em.

Would you not agree that if your tires are at the wear bars, then they will have a difficult time in the rain?

I have a feeling you will have a picture of a tire that is at the wear bars on the sides only, with lots of tread in the middle... and if this is the case, then I would tend to agree with you. Especially since you use the extremities of the tire at the track, and more of the center on the street!

I still maintain that the wear bars are a valid indicator.... but can't be used exclusively.

Pictures aren't necessarry, but if you have 'em, post em.

Would you not agree that if your tires are at the wear bars, then they will have a difficult time in the rain?

I have a feeling you will have a picture of a tire that is at the wear bars on the sides only, with lots of tread in the middle... and if this is the case, then I would tend to agree with you. Especially since you use the extremities of the tire at the track, and more of the center on the street!

I still maintain that the wear bars are a valid indicator.... but can't be used exclusively.
    Nope, I have the classic commuter tire with a lot of wear in the center. The wear indicators are already there, but there's plenty of meat. I have the feeling that Bridgestone raised the indicators way more than necessary (maybe so the rider replaces the tires more often? maybe so they cover their ***** in case of an accident, and the rider tries to sue them because of the tires?).

I have had plenty of experience with tires like this in rain, and November cold temperatures, and honestly have never had a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    Oh ya Improper rear tire. I have a Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa. Lots of life left on it but I was planning on getting an SP1 instead.

The cop lectures me about how dangerous it is and how he rides a Harley blah blah blah and then asks me why he smells brakes (I got cut off a few blocks before that and had to get hard on the brakes).

Long story short, Improper Tire. I'll take pictures later. but here's the model of the tire:

http://www.hypercycle.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=154

I mean there are much better ways to encourage someone rather than writing tickets. He searched my entire bike for stuff to write up and that's all he came up with...what a joke.
    BTW why were you stopped in the first place since if wasn't for the tire?
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40