So I got the dumbest ticket tonight...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I got the dumbest ticket tonight...

So I got the dumbest ticket tonight...

Oh ya Improper rear tire. I have a Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa. Lots of life left on it but I was planning on getting an SP1 instead.

The cop lectures me about how dangerous it is and how he rides a Harley blah blah blah and then asks me why he smells brakes (I got cut off a few blocks before that and had to get hard on the brakes).

Long story short, Improper Tire. I'll take pictures later. but here's the model of the tire:

http://www.hypercycle.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=154

I mean there are much better ways to encourage someone rather than writing tickets. He searched my entire bike for stuff to write up and that's all he came up with...what a joke.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Re: So I got the dumbest ticket tonight...

you can get a ticket for having a racing tire on the street?!?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth1 View Post
    you can get a ticket for having a racing tire on the street?!?
    My ticket wasn't for the 'racing tire' he didn't even look at the sidewall. He said the tire didn't have enough tread.

I didn't argue with him, he'll see me in court.

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

He meant there weren't enough rain grooves which would explain the racing tires which are not street legal. The ticket is valid.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    He meant there weren't enough rain grooves which would explain the racing tires which are not street legal. Race tires are not DOT so that ticket is valid.
    The tire says DOT on it? perhaps a different kind of DOT certification?

I still MUST fight it

OFAH member

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    The tire says DOT on it? perhaps a different kind of DOT certification?

I still MUST fight it
    You can fight it and you may beat the ticket but if you switch to street tires and provide a receipt and work order, the judge will let it go. Don't know the details of that DOT rating but that tire does not look safe for wet weather.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Weird I used it all last year in wet weather I just took it easy.

I was planning on getting the tire switched anyway, I even told the cop that. I was just waiting for some cash to get it done.

All this is just unnecessary that's all. There definitely should be non-court remedies available where you just bring the fixed bike back in and it gets thrown out.

OFAH member

SteveT

I feel much safer knowing they busted you for a LEGAL DOT approved tire. I am quite happy they can spend this quality time with you since all of the crimes are now solved.

Please pay your ticket and include a tip and thank you card for the outstanding service.

Da Bridge 06 636, 05 R6, 03 R6, FZR600, CR500R and .....

I was under the impression that if the tire is "DOT" approved..
    then this ticket is BS.
    WTF is it DOT approved if it isn't street legal than...
    This stinks of BS.....
    COURT TIME !!!!

Thinkin about it takes all the fun out of it !

You can fight it and you may beat the ticket but if you switch to street tires and provide a receipt and work order, the judge will let it go. Don't know the details of that DOT rating but that tire does not look safe for wet weather.
    You sound like a tire expert, like the cop. DOT means it is street legal, so the ticket is an attempted cash grab.

I was planning on getting the tire switched anyway, I even told the cop that. I was just waiting for some cash to get it done.

All this is just unnecessary that's all. There definitely should be non-court remedies available where you just bring the fixed bike back in and it gets thrown out.
    Take it to court, it is an easy win. Show the DOT status of the tire and cross examine the cop in court. He has to show his qualifications as a "tire expert" so that he can over rule the DOT certification on your tire.

I agree; that's a stupid ticket. If the tire is DOT stamped then he wasted both your time and the court's.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I don't think the issue is whether it's DOT or not....it's about the amount of tread left. Get a depth gauge and measure it, take a picture with the gauge in the tread.

Or, if you were planning on new tires anyway, just bring them a receipt for a new tire and chances are very good they'll throw it out.
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

I retract my previous comment. Paul, I would say that you're obviously right. If he has insufficient tread depth, then that's that.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

How the hell did the cop see that in the first place? Robocop? Kindergarden Cop? WTF!?

back in my younger days, in my "street racing" type car, i got a ticket for not having a licence plate on the front of my car...which was true, i lost a bolt and it was dragging, so i took it off, put it on my dash...and made my way to crappy tire...as i was approaching CT...i got stopped and ticketed $110 for it!
    I took it to court and explained everything to the JP, he didnt even want to hear it, threw it out right away...im sure they'll do the same for this ticket...

He meant there weren't enough rain grooves which would explain the racing tires which are not street legal. The ticket is valid.
    Sorry dude, you're wrong... DOT means it is approved for street use in the US... and Canada doesn't differentiate when it comes to tires or helmets. It is a legal tire end of story.

"...and Canada doesn't differentiate when it comes to tires or helmets."

Care to back that statement up?

I think you will finds lots and lots and lots of regulations about either, if you were to look.

canada does have laws about not using race tires, but just the use of slicks.

regardless, the supercorsa is a 'trackday tire' and is perfectly street legal.

BUT, when you go to court, keep that information in your pocket unless you really need it, unless the ticket mentions race tire, then dont bring it up, just say its a standard motorcycle street tire. a judge wont have a clue whether the tire is worn out, as a worn out tire can still look good in a picture, and you can only tell when close examining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I don't think the issue is whether it's DOT or not....it's about the amount of tread left. Get a depth gauge and measure it, take a picture with the gauge in the tread.

Or, if you were planning on new tires anyway, just bring them a receipt for a new tire and chances are very good they'll throw it out.
    The DOT part is not even relevent here. As long as the tire is not branded "Not for Highway Use", it is legal. Note that simply grinding that off does not necessarily work, they (the Crown) have the ability to look that model of tire up and checking for themselves if they want.

See http://www.canlii.org/on/laws/regu/1...318/whole.html

The most obvious way is to simply take the bike, the ticket and a printout of the regs (http://www.canlii.org/on/laws/regu/1...318/whole.html) to the station that officer works out of, and see the sargent there. Explain it to him, show him the bike, the ticket and the regs, and ask him to have the ticket cancelled. They can do that.

You may want to also print out the web site page on that tire as well to show it is not a branded or race only tire.

You may have to wait until he talks to the officer as well, and if there are parts to this story you are leaving out here, then you will end up having to go to court.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    "...and Canada doesn't differentiate when it comes to tires or helmets."

Care to back that statement up?

I think you will finds lots and lots and lots of regulations about either, if you were to look.

DOT = Department of Transportation which is a US based entity. If you look at Canadian laws, they allow tires and helmets which are DOT approved. There may be other regulations, but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking specifically about DOT... and if it is DOT approved it will not say "For off road use only"... therefore it is legal in Canada.