Track bike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Track bike

Toronto 2007 GSXR 600 (Street) 2004 GSXR 600 (Track)

Track bike

So I have started my project. Here she is, its a 2004 GSXR 600 (Salvaged) I have pretty much taken the thing apart now, and all the parts needed are being shipped. I was just wondering if you guys can maybe give me some pointers or tips on building a track bike that I may have over looked? I'm not going to race, just building it for track days. I'm going to start putting it back together as soon as some of the parts start to come in. I'm going to locktight all the bolts that go back in so they don't come loose, and I'm going to be changing the oil in the forks. I already changed the plugs, oil filter, engine oil, and air filter. Cleaned the chain (Bike only have 5000miles). Am I missing anything???

Thanks for the help. Hope to see you guys on the track soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b5b.jpg   b6b.jpg  

Re: Track bike

loctite might be over kill in some spots, the torque values are so low that the lowest strength loctite might make you strip off the heads of some bolts.....happend to me.......................so now i use THREAD SEALANT by loctite........holds anything , no corrotion, and the best part its reuseable ....it stays on the threads like for fairing screws, crankcase etc....

I built mine last winter, but unfortunantely couldnt finish it s due to some financial constraints (family) and it pretty much sat at 80% built all summer long and htis winter too.

Anyway my recommendaiton, is to set a budget and STICK to it. Order all the major components you want on your track bike. If your cruising forums like this one or ebay or others, you'll see so many things you want/good deals but not really necessary to get tracking! .... STAY FOCUSED on your budget and required components.

Apart from that...you picked a great bike.

My tips:

1. Print off the Service manual or get a laptop for quick acess!
    (if you need the 04 gsxr 6 manual give me a shout)

2. Don't worry about power modifications. Focus more on the ride (aka suspension/braking etc.) At the end of the day the bike has more power than you need. Of course, if your bike didn't come with an exhaust or airbox w/ filter (like my salvage didnt) then go ahead and pick aftermarket ones up

3. CLEAN, CLEAN and CLEAN!
    Your in there, why not? You'll thank yourself later! I scrubbed and washed every bolt!

3. Maintainance.
    You've already done the common stuff (plugs, filter, fork oil etc.)
    Also check:
    All cables (throttle, clutch, choke). Make sure they aren't binding and move freely.
    Head Bearings (I have the proper tool if you need it!)

4. Double and triple check torque on everything! The service manual has a quick list on all the torque'd bolts.

If you need a comparative list (heres mine)

'03 GSXR 600

Worthwhile/Needed stuff
    SS lines
    Ohlins Damper
    NRC Stator, Starter clutch and idler gear covers
    Sharkskinz race body w/ spare tank w/ pump! (bought used)
    Race Fairing Stay (needed for race fairings)
    Tires

Maintainance
    R/R - Brakes (calipers, pads)
    R/R - Ignition
    R/R - All cables
    R/R - All bolts
    R/R - Head Bearings (tapered bearings installed by pro6)
    R/R - Wheels (bearings, seals, axle)
    R/R - Swingwarm pivot (check roll-out+grease)

Stuff i didn't need but did anyway!
    - '04 1000 Full Front-end modded to fit stock (larger) '03 600 rotors
    - '04 1000 Swingwarm + Shock
    - '04 1000 Rims
    - Rosmoto Clip-ons
    - Sato Adjustable Rearsets
    - Yoshimura EMS
    - Yoshimura RS3 full exhaust
    - Brembo Master Cyl
    - Lightened rear rotor *unecessary* (but it came free with the wheelS! :P )
    - Powdercoated frame, swingarm, misc. body pieces (black is sexY!)

Misc.
    - Zip tie/secure uncessary Harness connections
    -

Mm, I can't think of anything else.....If you need any help let me know!
    Last edited by Yahel; 04-08-2008 at 10:52 PM.

I think the largest thing that people overlook on track bikes, is the concern for reliability.

Mechanical failures can be devestating or harmful to yourself and other riders when in a track environment where you are pushing yours or the bikes performance envelope.

Taking your time, and assembling the bike properly with attention to detail, cleanliness, and the little things will make the bike operate properly and problem free. Things like race-type engine covers with brand new gaskets (I have heard of people reusing the old ones) assist with lowering crash damage, and taking the time to torque the bolts down properly to spec and using blue loctite will keep then tight and in place.

Safety wiring is not required, but on brake components and fluid holding banjo bolts and hose clamps removes any chance of something critical letting go.

Blue Loctite can easily be broken down the road if you must, but Red is near permanent so make sure you use the proper kind.

Have fun and good luck! Take your time!

06 Gsxr 1k, 04 R6 track, f3 stunter, fiddy stunt, zx6r(sold), cbr600rr(sold

Ahhem.. ahem... pink.. fairings... cough cough

Will, we're not here to discuss your shopping list. We're helping Rob put his track bike together
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Will, we're not here to discuss your shopping list. We're helping Rob put his track bike together
    The funny thing is that the pink fairing are on Will's shopping list. Shawn and Will are going to be painting their bike's pink. hehe Not me though. Shawn and Will are trying to get me to go there way, but I told them time and time again, I'll be there friend, but I'm not going that way The funny thing is that the pink fairing are on Will's shopping list. Shawn and Will are going to be painting their bike's pink. hehe Not me though. Shawn and Will are trying to get me to go there way, but I told them time and time again, I'll be there friend, but I'm not going that way :P LOL
    Last edited by Phaneom; 04-09-2008 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks for all the good info guys. I am using the blue loctite (Red is way to hard to break after)

You guys are right about the budget thing. I am starting to go over a little, but there are some things that I wanted :P

I'm keeping the suspension stock for now, being it that I can't afford to get anything aftermarket at the moment. I'll see how I feel on the track first then I'll upgrade if needed.

The cleaning part I am doing. I'm kind of a clean freak, so the bike will be looking like it should be in a showroom before I'm done.

I know my way around the bike pretty well, but I still downloading the service manual to make sure.

One thing that I do need. I have changed the oil in forks before, but I ddin't use that compression tool to keep the spring down. Is it a lot easier with this tool, and does anyone have one that I can borrow?

Also with the suspension tuning, would it be best just to go to riders choice or somewhere and get it tuned by a pro for my weight?

Oh yeah, if you guys want free manuals, I found these two websites that are pretty good

http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp
    http://www.repairmanualclub.com/inde...er=ASC&limit=0

This is a picture of the tool that I need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tool.JPG  

Where did you buy that 24mm hex bit socket to take off the front tire? Do you know how to work on forks/steering head assembly? I'd be interested in learning and working on my bike too (same bike).

as mentioned, safety wire isn't REQUIRED, but why not do yourself and trackday tech inspectors a favor and make their job easy.

Will, you may wish to avoid our rides or you'll never hear the end of it Rob, make sure you keep trolling the flea-bay. I wish I had known about that $275 Fox before I started working on my Busa shock project lol
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Where did you buy that 24mm hex bit socket to take off the front tire? Do you know how to work on forks/steering head assembly? I'd be interested in learning and working on my bike too (same bike).
    I made a bit out of two nuts and a bolt. they fit right in the axel, then I turned it with a adjustable wrench. I have rebuilt forks twice. once on a 1997 GSXR, and on a 2001 Shadow. Its pretty simple, you just have to follow the instructions. Download the manual and take a look at the process.

In regards to tuning suspension.... sure Riders choice will do it, but you can also find people like John Sherard at track days. A lot of my friends have had theirs done (built and set) and no complaints from anyone. I would personally prefer sherrard over Riders choice!

Interesting that you know how to rebuild forks....I haven't been brave enough to trY! Are you able to change out the fork seals while your there? If so i'd definately recommend doing them! Saves you downtime in the future!

I made a large hex key by using a 2" long piece of hex steel from the metal supermarket. Place the hex inside the opening and use a regular socket on the other end.

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yahel View Post
    . I would personally prefer sherrard over Riders choice!

!
    Why would that be??

Ryan Gill is every bit as good as John Sharrard.

Quote Originally Posted by Yahel View Post
    In regards to tuning suspension.... sure Riders choice will do it, but you can also find people like John Sherard at track days. A lot of my friends have had theirs done (built and set) and no complaints from anyone. I would personally prefer sherrard over Riders choice!

Interesting that you know how to rebuild forks....I haven't been brave enough to trY! Are you able to change out the fork seals while your there? If so i'd definately recommend doing them! Saves you downtime in the future!
    I have not ordered any fork seal. I'm kind of hoping that becasue the bike only has 5000mile (Street riding) that they will look ok. I HOPE

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    as mentioned, safety wire isn't REQUIRED, but why not do yourself and trackday tech inspectors a favor and make their job easy.
    I found it was actually fun to learn how to do this well...

But I did have an aircraft mechanic show me some tips and tricks... you should see this guy put it on, eyes closed.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Why would that be??

Ryan Gill is every bit as good as John Sharrard.
    John is taller and smells of lilacs.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by franz131 View Post
    John is taller and smells of lilacs.

Ryan is Thinner and smells of MR9

and has MOTO