Oil change for '87 Yamaha YX 600 Radian

Thread: Oil change for '87 Yamaha YX 600 Radian

mckleung

Oil change for '87 Yamaha YX 600 Radian

Hi,

Two things:

My manual says the oil should be a 20W40, but this doesn't seem to exist. Should I just use a 20W50?

Secondly, I was up at Royal Distributing and they were not able to find me an oil filter.

I'm think I may have found some K&N dealers, but am not certain they have what I need.

KN-144 or SF-2001, part No. 020248

thx,
    S

Re: Oil change for '87 Yamaha YX 600 Radian

CH6003 inserts should be easy to find at Crappy Tire. While they are junky FRAMs, they should hold up for 5000km or so.
    AFIK your bike doesn't run a cat, so if you want an oil that's easy to find, relatively cheap and a full synthetic, I'd go for Esso XD-3 0w40. You can pick it up at Wal Mart for $23 per 4l. It's a heavy-duty diesel oil, but it has all the characteristics needed for a motorcycle (great detergent package and no friction modifiers). Don't run it in a newer bike or you'll be putting the emissions control system at risk.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

i had an xj that had the same motor on it ...i used 10w40 ... no problems

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

mckleung

thanks guys. i'll look into the filters and it looks like a 10W40 would be best. i don't believe i'm able to use a synthetic.

i ran synthetic in the engine when it got hot weather, the engine ran smoother, mobil 1 - mx4t - 10w40 - can get it at canadian tire ... the synth helped it run a bit smoother i found on that motor when hot , otherwise regular dino the rest of the time (not in the dead of summer) was fine ......

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Quote Originally Posted by mckleung View Post
    Hi,

Two things:

My manual says the oil should be a 20W40, but this doesn't seem to exist. Should I just use a 20W50?

Secondly, I was up at Royal Distributing and they were not able to find me an oil filter.

I'm think I may have found some K&N dealers, but am not certain they have what I need.

KN-144 or SF-2001, part No. 020248

thx,
    S
    Thats a FZ engine it will be fine on 10W-40

I have a radian too! Here are a list of filters that work:

OEM 1L9-13441-11-00
    WIX 24934
    K&N KN-144
    EMGO 12-94410
    PerForm J-505
    Amsoil SMF-105
    HiFloFiltro HF-144
    Vesrah SF-2001
    Champion P7003
    Hastings LF573
    NAPA PFIPS4934
    Fram 27-5509 filter CH6003

Canadian Tire carries the Fram. I asked the same question about oil a few weeks ago too, it seems 10w40 is an acceptable substitute. Kahuna cycle might have the OEM filter (or at least one better than the Fram) available, call them and ask.

Also, check out the Radian Yahoo group. It's been going nearly 10 years now and it's been really helpful figuring things out about the bike, has a wealth of information. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radian/