02-F4i Idle sloowly degrades until it quits

Thread: 02-F4i Idle sloowly degrades until it quits

02-F4i Idle sloowly degrades until it quits

My bike starts up no problem however after maybe like 1 minute of riding it starts to choke/cough and idle starts degrading ..I have to keep it at really high revs to keep it going . I downshift to neutral and rev the hell out of it , however when i stop the idle gets really slow and it dies . It starts up again wihtout a problem however a minute later it happens again . When its starts to choke the Fi light on the dash comes on .
    This started happening towards the end of last season and i figured it might have been bad gas or the air filter , however gas had been changed and air filter was cleaned bit this continues to be a problem . Could it be a mild clog in the fuel system ??? or something else ??
    Any suggestions ?

Re: 02-F4i Idle sloowly degrades until it quits

did you try adjusting the idle speed? same thing happened to me on my old F4 while waiting at an intersection. Adjusted the idle speed, never happened again.

Hope this helps!

its idles fine when i start it and it is in neutral , however once i start to ride it starts dying again ..so i dont think it is the idle adjustment . I read about seafoam on another thread , i might try that to see if it heeps clean out the fuel lines .

get the error code out of the bike to see what the problem is

see your service manual for how to read the blinks on the MIL light
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

have you changed your fuel filter? How is your clutch adjustment?
    But get the codes first.
    If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble!

The light does not blink , seems like the system has no memory of the problem data . It just comes on when I turn the bike on and then goes off like normal .

After going throug the manual , it seems like one of the following :

1.TP sensor issue
    2.Pinched or clogged fuel hose / injection system .

any ideas people ??

joelhamilton5

battery? the battery only gets charged at higher rpms, not sure exacly how high. i had a similar problem on my bike, so i tested the battery voltage with a multimeter while idling. it kept dropping until it got to like 11v and the bike stalled. i'm not sure if there just wasn't enough juice to fire the spark plugs, or what, but i'm assuming the battery was the problem. i've got one on order, so i haven't had a chance to see if that's all it was.

same thing is happening on my 01 F4i, and sometimes when i downshift i get a pop, backfire? but it usually happens after 30 mins of riding

joelhamilton5

an update to my previous post; it definitely wasn't the battery (although that sucked too). my gas must have gone bad over the winter, even though i stabilized it. i drained the tank and put new stuff in, and it runs like a charm. i highly reccommend trying that, my problem was very similar to yours.

any idea where i can get a good fuel injection system cleaner ?? Maybe seafoam or can i use the regular STP stuff from crappy tire ?? Hope fully that and a fresh tank of gas should solve the problem.

so now when i ride after a few minutes all of a sudden the Fi light comes on and the throttle cuts off . I have to keep reving to keep it goin I cant hold it steady .But after a some reving and downshifting it goes back to normal and in a couple of minutes it happens again ??

I'm still on an old tank of gas to which i have added seafoam I'm waiting for the tank to almost be dry before i add fresh gas .