Putting a JUNK title on the road?

Thread: Putting a JUNK title on the road?

Putting a JUNK title on the road?

So I know of a vehicle that was in a "freshwater" flood which is branded as Junk... It is in awesome shape

anyway to get that re-classified as a rebuilt title so it can be put on the road?

thanks!

Re: Putting a JUNK title on the road?

by JUNK...do you mean IRREPARABLE?

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/faq_s.html

Can I legally drive an "Irreparable" or "Salvage" vehicle on Ontario roads?

No, if your vehicle is branded as "Salvage" you cannot drive your vehicle on the road. However, a "Salvage" vehicle can be towed for the purposes of repairs or for the purposes of receiving a Safety Standards Certificate.
    If you want to drive your "Salvage" vehicle it must be upgraded to a "Rebuilt" brand which can only be done if it has passed a strict structural inspection and passed a safety inspection so that it can be registered for on-road use.

Vehicles branded as "Irreparable" can never be driven on Ontario's roads and can only be used for parts or scrap.

3. How can I change the brand on my vehicle from "Salvage" to "Rebuilt"?

The vehicle must have successfully passed an inspection in accordance with the requirements in Ontario's Regulation 611 of the HTA and have been issued a Structural Inspection Certificate (SIC). The owner must then submit the SIC and registration permit to a Ministry of Transportation licensing office. Once accepted and approved, the "Salvage" brand will be changed to "Rebuilt". This process helps ensure that damaged vehicles are repaired to meet minimum prescribed standards before being allowed back on the road.
    Once the "Rebuilt" brand is placed on the vehicle registration file, a Safety Standards Certificate must be obtained in the same manner from any Motor Vehicle Inspection Station in order for the vehicle to be declared "fit". The vehicle may then be plated and legally operated once it has been provided with a drive clean certificate (if required).

Thanks that info is very useful!

So supposing the vehicle is a Salvage title and can undergo a Structural inspection - where would I get this done?

also - is there any way to 'wash' the title from irrepairable to salvage etc?

Even if you get the car back on the road with a rebuilt title... you still must think in the long run whether you are going to be keeping this car for a long time. No one in the right mind would buy a rebuilt title car from you unless they are getting one heck of a deal..

NVRider

be careful. Are you talking about a bike that is already in Canada? If it is from the US, some things have changed since August last year. There were loop holes you could get a bike across the border and have it inspected and passed, even with a salvage title on it. You can't anymore. So if it is from the US,with a branded title, salvage title, be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by BradPitt View Post
    Thanks that info is very useful!

So supposing the vehicle is a Salvage title and can undergo a Structural inspection - where would I get this done?

also - is there any way to 'wash' the title from irrepairable to salvage etc?
    legally? get the car inspected.
    illegally? find the same car with a clean title, swap all the VIN's.

The GOV recently chandged the laws here in Ont and you can no longer rebrand "repairable title'' US bikes. In most states there are 3 titles CLEAN, REPAIRABLE, and SALVAGE.....SALVAGE could never be registerd for the street but you used to be able to buy REPAIRABLE's rebuild them, have them inspected and if they passed you could have the title chandged back to clean ("BRAND:NONE in Canada)......However like I said they recently chandged that law from what Ive been told and you can no longer do this, they will only allow non branded US bikes to be registerd for the street in ONT.....

I have 2 friends that bought repairable titled bikes from the US a few months ago, with plans to eventually rebuild them and have them re registered as Clean here in ONT. And now because they chandged the law before they did so, they are stuck with useless titles that can never be registered as fit for Ont roads...

From what I know you can still do it in 1 or 2 other provinces, but not Ont anymore
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 03-25-2008 at 09:57 AM.

its actually a car, and it is Canadian title, so no cross-border issues to worry about.

Where would I get it inspected though? not like a regular safety by the sounds of it

its actually a car, and it is Canadian title, so no cross-border issues to worry about.

Where would I get it inspected though? not like a regular safety by the sounds of it
    If its a Canadian vechicle then to put it on the road it must be BRAND:NONE!!!!!

In Canada we only have branded or unbranded vechicles, if the VIN comes up branded then it can never be put back on the road and is only good for parts...

On the ownership itself or vechile history sheet you can get from the misistry it will have BRAND: written on it, and if it says anything but NONE beside that it can not be put back on the street...

As others have previously indicated, you definitely want to know what you're getting in to before it costs you too much $.

This link gives you MTO info on flooded vehicles. At the bottom of the page is a link for "branded vehicles" & inspection stations by area. Best of luck.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...icle/flood.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    If its a Canadian vechicle then to put it on the road it must be BRAND:NONE!!!!!

In Canada we only have branded or unbranded vechicles, if the VIN comes up branded then it can never be put back on the road and is only good for parts...

On the ownership itself or vechile history sheet you can get from the misistry it will have BRAND: written on it, and if it says anything but NONE beside that it can not be put back on the street...
    don't we have rebuilt titles for cars? I was pretty sure we did

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    As others have previously indicated, you definitely want to know what you're getting in to before it costs you too much $.

This link gives you MTO info on flooded vehicles. At the bottom of the page is a link for "branded vehicles" & inspection stations by area. Best of luck.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...icle/flood.htm
    That link will not help him, this is what he needs but I dont know how up to date it is. Like I said they just changed the laws on being able to rebrand vechicles in Ont, and I know you can no longer rebrand imported vechicles...And Im pretty sure you cant rebrand Canadian cars either

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan.../mandatory.htm

I have freinds that import cars from the US and fix them up for a living, and this just got 10x harder for them in the last few months...Now when they buy branded flood vechiles, they have to buy anoter vechile with heavy damage but no branding. And put the 2 cars togheter to make one that can be registered in Canada, not like before where they would be able to fix up the one car with the branded title...

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    don't we have rebuilt titles for cars? I was pretty sure we did
    They have actually have 4 titles if you read the link, Im not 100% about rebranding Canadain vechiles, but like I said you can no longer import branded cars from the US and rebrand them here in Ontario....

And I have 2 friends with bikes that were bought from the US, that are "salvage" and would have been able to rebarnd them as rebuilt. But they waited too long and now that the laws changed they are useless....
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 03-27-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Here is some more info that should be usefull, and it seems that the branding/rebranding process is differnt for cars and motorcycles. So maybe you can still do it with cars from Canada...
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_020376_e.htm

Before I spent a nickle on a branded car I would find out if it can ever be insured.
    I suspect getting a "rebuilt" vehicle insured will be impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Here is some more info that should be usefull, and it seems that the branding/rebranding process is differnt for cars and motorcycles. So maybe you can still do it with cars from Canada...
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_020376_e.htm
    That is Useful, according to that I should be able to get any Type 6 classified mechanic to inspect the vehicle and hopefully declare it Rebuilt title.

As for the confusion about Titles, You can drive a Rebuilt title car. It is written on the Government website, and I have personally owned and insured one no problem.

I will call some "type 6" body shops later and let you guys know what they say.

If all is good, bring on the M3 !

That is Useful, according to that I should be able to get any Type 6 classified mechanic to inspect the vehicle and hopefully declare it Rebuilt title.

As for the confusion about Titles, You can drive a Rebuilt title car. It is written on the Government website, and I have personally owned and insured one no problem.

I will call some "type 6" body shops later and let you guys know what they say.

If all is good, bring on the M3 !
    Im pretty sure even Canadian tire can do it, thats where people were getting bikes inspected...

And about being able to do it or not, I know this was not an issue in the past but like I said the Ontario Gov just made alot of changes on the laws regarding branding and rebranding bikes and cars in the last few months....So just make sure you do your research and get up to date info as there have been changes made to the laws and what can and cant be done from now on....Most of the changes are for imported branded vechicles, but better safe then sorry and with a useless car right...

Not just ANY Crappy tire.

At one time the Toronto inspections were done at the Crappy Tire at the Centerpoint Mall at Yonge and Steeles.

Personally I wouldn't let a Crappy Tire mechanic tune up my ten speed but it seems he gets to decide.....

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    Not just ANY Crappy tire.

At one time the Toronto inspections were done at the Crappy Tire at the Centerpoint Mall at Yonge and Steeles.

Personally I wouldn't let a Crappy Tire mechanic tune up my ten speed but it seems he gets to decide.....
    I wouoldnt let them do any type of service on anything I own either, but If they have cheap rates for inspections...Why not