Insurance company rules and on-line quotes

View Poll Results: Who are you insured with?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kingsway

10 33.33%
  • Dalton Timmis

0 0%
  • State Farm

11 36.67%
  • Primmum

2 6.67%
  • Jevco

1 3.33%
  • Other

6 20.00%

Thread: Insurance company rules and on-line quotes

smokey1300

Insurance company rules and on-line quotes

I wanted to share this quote with everyone since it reflects the way insurance companies handle us.

I am 44 YOA riding off and on for 20+ years. Last 6 years on a Goldwing. So I decided to get a sport touring machine ST1300.

I got many on-line quotes and the best was Kingsway. I called and they said that it would be $150 more than on-line since 13 months had elapsed since I had motorcycle insurance. This was 1 month more than allowed. They called it insurance "experience"??? I had 6 years accident and claims free with no tickets. What more do they want? I phoned others and they were on the same band wagon. I was higher risk since I was not riding for those prime 4 months. I finally said fine and called a broker who quoted me the same price and I was forced to get it at the higher rate. Kingsway has been bothering me and asking for copies of my ownership and the latest was they asked for a picture of my VIN plate. Why after 8 months of coverage are they asking for this?

I am actively looking for other options. So this year in February I was at the London bike show and I spoke to a woman from Dalton-Timmis. She quoted me $200 less than I am paying...wow! I thought this is great finally I have insurance "experience" again. I forwarded my DL# to her. 2 weeks later she sent me a quote for $50 more than we had discussed. I e-mailed back and she said, oh we made a mistake on my postal code thats why. I e-mailed back and explained I was in a rural town so it was their error. A week went by and she e-mailed me back to say oh yeah I forgot to mention you need to insure your car with us to get this rate.

What kind of company would do this? What did they gain? I would not trust them at all now. Maybe I would call them to make a claim and they would disqualify me because my phone number was wrong or something. As a result I will steer away from these folks(so should others).

Let others know who you are with and whether you are happy with the customer service.
    Last edited by smokey1300; 03-21-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Re: Insurance company rules and on-line quotes

Give RidersPlus a call, or check their online thing. They only do motorcycle insurance, so there's no nonsense about needing to have your car with them too. They only deal with riders over 25, and they don't do sport bikes.

RidersPlus is currently underwritten by Echelon. They used to be underwritten by Kingsway. When they switched my policy from Kingsway to Echelon a year ago my premiums went down by half! So if you got a good rate from Kingsway you'd probably be very happy with RidersPlus/Echelon.
    WeeStrom!

I'm with State Farm at the moment, they gave me a quote that was far less than anything that my broker said they could get me, I told them about my 1 speeding ticket up front got the quote in person, went out for a few other quotes and ended up back there and got the price quoted.

no car or house insured with them either

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Give RidersPlus a call, or check their online thing. They only do motorcycle insurance, so there's no nonsense about needing to have your car with them too. They only deal with riders over 25, and they don't do sport bikes.

RidersPlus is currently underwritten by Echelon. They used to be underwritten by Kingsway. When they switched my policy from Kingsway to Echelon a year ago my premiums went down by half! So if you got a good rate from Kingsway you'd probably be very happy with RidersPlus/Echelon.
    RP is great, but your deductible will go from $500 to $1000. Big savings though!!
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

a1cycleclassifieds

I got a great quote from this site I just ran into on youtube the other day http://HtQuotes.com/Canada