No car license, can't get motorcycle insurance?? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No car license, can't get motorcycle insurance??

Re: No car license, can't get motorcycle insurance??

SF is a bit picky with not forcing you to bring all your insurance over, but it is doable.

A couple years ago I just called around until I found a SF broker who would take me with just my motorcycle. If your driving record isnt pristine though, I wouldnt bother

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    State Farm is an interesting situation. I've called them on several occasions and received different responses each time. Here are a few of them:

- We won't insure you for a motorcycle unless you also insure your car with us.
    - We won't insure you for a motorcycle unless you also insure your car with us for at least 6 months prior.
    - We could insure your motorcycle for $XXXX.XX per year, but it would be $300.00 cheaper for your bike, if you also insured your car with us.
    - We can't take any new policies until after September, because we've been informed that we have too much market share at the moment. (?!)

The first item is what is referred to as "tied selling" and my understanding is that it's illegal. It most certainly is for financial institutions and banks have been hammered for it, in the past. There's a difference between a multi-policy discount and not giving insurance unless another product is purchased.

From what I've seen and been told, under these conditions they tend to have better rates.

There's really no good alternative that I can see for a new rider. You can try getting quotes based on membership with a group like CMG Riders' Club, CMA/OMA, or any of the others that insurers will give a discount to.
    Yeah, I had a feeling which is why I specifically asked if this was a SF rule or their rule and the said it was all of SF...I took it with a grain of salt. Looks like I'm going with Mr. Popular here...Avi Singh. Just wish I was over 25!

I got a motorcycle insurance without having to insure my car with SF. They did say my motorcycle (moped) rate would be lower if I insured my car with them. Still got an awesome $40/month rate which is much lower than the second lowest quote I got of $80/month from John Duffy and Jevico.

Jevico said my rate would be $10/month after my 2nd year so hopefully SF can give me a $5/month rate if I insured my car with them in the 2nd year.

I did have to give SF my car's insurance policy number though. I went into their office so any info they needed from me I could give instantly. I figured the more info I give the better my quote would be.

-
    This sucks, so you can't be just a bike rider? You have to drive a car to get bike insurance? I never heard of this one before.

Does anyone know an insurance company that will insure me for a good price?....
    statefarm quoted me for $2,030,
    TD for $12,000 (this is not a typo)

21 year old male
    single
    G licence, no history of accidents/tickets
    just took my course to get my m2
    don't have 5 years driving experience (statefarm never asked me about 5 years driving experience)
    2001 CBR 600 f4i

I've heard horror stories about people getting a call back 3 weeks later from statefarm stating they would no longer insure them without 5 yrs driving experience. Anyone have experiences with this?

if you guys looking for SF that doesn't care about age/licnece/bike/car. I know one, send me a PM and i tell u.

Try Gord Piluk with , he's given some good rates for me as well as some other girls I know.

Pioneer Insurance Brokers
    www.pionins.com
    (800) 665-2073
    ~ Suzuki Girl ~

basskat

I agree, talk to Gord at Pioneer. Most of the people I talked to when shopping for insurance said they were with Pioneer. Best rates that I could find...

Quote Originally Posted by torresa View Post
    I've heard horror stories about people getting a call back 3 weeks later from statefarm stating they would no longer insure them without 5 yrs driving experience. Anyone have experiences with this?
    This is true... SF requires 5yrs of driving experience plus either a full G or M license. After signing on with SF this year I received a letter in the mail just after my activation date (April 19) giving me approx. 20 days to acquire either my full G or M license, otherwise they'll drop me (as of May 11). Apparently my broker wasn't aware that I had to have full license, only informed me about the 5yrs experience (note my G2 license expired after 5yrs because I didn't take the exit test, then had to start all over from scratch). I was fortunate enough to be able to book both exit tests two days before my cancellation date... crossing my fingers and hoping to pass at least one!

State Farm changed their requirements on the full G/M licence last year according to my agent. She did say they take the time you've had the G1 and G2 into the 5 year equation though. She also said it is not a mandatory thing to have your car with them. Some offices make their own rules on what they want to do since they're a direct insurance agent and not a broker and aren't governed by the same RIBO rules. You can also ask for a life insurance policy which you can get for $20-$30 a month to get the extra discount. It's hit and miss with the info you're given at each office unfortunately. If you were dealing with a broker you could at least file a complaint with RIBO which cause the broker a big hassle but it's a free for all with the firect agents.
    There are some thing's better left unsaid, but you can bet your sweet a** I'm going to say them anyway.