Trackdays

Thread: Trackdays

Trackdays

Planning to go exclusively track again this year and tired of asking for guys to help me transport the bike to and back from the track.

So my solution is to start renting a cargo van and use the condor stand and a ramp.

What kind of ramps do you guys use? I'm looking for one that I can ride on and off - i've seen guys who've had a couple close calls using ramps where you have to walk it up and down.

Re: Trackdays

I wouldnt suggest riding up and down any ramp!

Danger Danger Will Robinson
    Bikes R what unite us, what kind should not matter!

Just walk it over the ramp!
    anyone can hurt a fighter not everyone will get a chance to excuse

Actually I found a few that are capable of having you ride up and off it. But thanks for the suggestions anyways.

Most van rentals charge for mileage. That can get expensive.
    Why not fit a towbar and rent a trailer -- $20/day from Uhaul?

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Tiny single rail trailer towed behind your car is good enough for most people.

Buying a trailer can get pretty expensive as well... the hitch and installation for my old bmw is $600... then i have to spend another $1500 for the trailer.... i figured I could get the stand and ramp for $600... I can use the $900 i saved for van rentals over next several years... the van w/ ramp and condor stand is so much more conenient and elegant. W/ the hitch and trailer, i have to modify my car and have an ugly hitch stick out the back (there is no hidden hitch for it)... and I don't have to hassle w/ driving around w/ a trailer either... UNLESS someone can sell me a trailer for much cheaper!

A simple single-rail bike trailer won't cost $1500, more like a third of that.

I realize that there are some overpriced fancy single-rail trailers out there. Something like this http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...iler&Submit=Go although that's a US website.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    A simple single-rail bike trailer won't cost $1500, more like a third of that.

I realize that there are some overpriced fancy single-rail trailers out there. Something like this http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...iler&Submit=Go although that's a US website.

We saw a bunch of the harbourfreight trailers in jennings this past weekend. I was surprised in how well they were built, and will be buying one myself.
    Last edited by milty; 03-21-2008 at 11:56 AM.

So how easy is it to get this trailer assembled and then licensed to be driven in Canada? Also, i'm guessing I'll have to go to home depot and get some MDF boards to put on as the flooring as well right?

I'd do whatever you can to equip yourself so that you dont need to rely on anyone else. A small used trailer and a nifty hitch install would be best.
    CyclePaintWorX - Booked solid until winter 2012.
    cyclepaintworx@gmail.com
    Ultimate Quality Refinishing.
    519-503-8933

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    So how easy is it to get this trailer assembled and then licensed to be driven in Canada? Also, i'm guessing I'll have to go to home depot and get some MDF boards to put on as the flooring as well right?

MDF will be destroyed if left under the rain. Get a pressure treated plywood, MDF is only for indoors
    anyone can hurt a fighter not everyone will get a chance to excuse

Alright, you guys have convinced me... I just ordered up the hitch for my car.

One more question... does the harbourfreight trailer come w/ hooks to tie down the bike as well?

Walmart sells a bar bones Snowbear flatbed trailer for around $550that is awesome. can take 2 bikes no issues. buy a ramp and a chock and you're set - plus the trailer will get used for a ton of other uses. my experience at least.

Alright, you guys have convinced me... I just ordered up the hitch for my car.

One more question... does the harbourfreight trailer come w/ hooks to tie down the bike as well?
    It comes with these metal things where you'd put a 2X4 if you were to build a rail system around the trailer. You can hook on to that.

I also painted my pressure treated wood. The nice thing is you can fold it if you need to.

Edit - I've added a picture of the trailer. Note how on the front I didn't install the metal things where you'd attach the wood too, but instead put on a couple of bolts with a circular end. The tie downs hook up to that.

I also have a BikePro wheel chock as well. The nice thing about it is that you can just leave the bike standing without any straps (not while traveling... but while you are putting the straps on). I like to have the wood... as opposed to just some channels, because there is less chance of you tripping.... but it does add weight.

The only tricky part is bringing it into Canada... ideally you'd just rip the boxes open, put some stuff in your van/car and some stuff in a friend's van/car and bring it in like that. You want to bring it is as TRAILER PARTS, but not a TRAILER in parts THAT WILL BE ASSEMBLED. ie if you don't have the whole thing, then you don't have to fill out any RIV BS.
    Last edited by Metastable; 10-29-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Save the weight and just have channels built to roll the bike into and get a wheel chock as well ( harbour freight has them).