... so it begins anew.... - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ... so it begins anew....

Re: ... so it begins anew....

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK_GIXXER View Post
    Notice the gloves and jackets!
    ...I want my ability to chose to ride helmetless!

He couldn't just let the issue die could he. He had to appeal. Anyway this ruling comes out, it is bad for the motorcycling community. There will be many fraudulent statistics thrown about by people who have no place to be involved in a motorcycle helmet discussion. There is no proof helmets save lives?

I think this creates a time for someone in the motorcycle community to stand up and educate the public. If we leave the Sikhs to their own devices, our hobby will be an even bigger mess in the eyes of the public.
    Please promote spelling and grammar:
    www.engrish.com

Quote Originally Posted by leedufour View Post
    Notice the gloves and jackets!
    ...I want my ability to chose to ride helmetless!
    While I'm not a supporter of blanket helmet laws, I suggest that you take a ride down to New Hampshire and give it a try. The first junebug or flung piece of gravel will quickly change your mind about riding without that protection.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    While I'm not a supporter of blanket helmet laws, I suggest that you take a ride down to New Hampshire and give it a try. The first junebug or flung piece of gravel will quickly change your mind about riding without that protection.
    For me it's not about riding helmetless all day, it's the short runs I do day to day.
    Low speed stuff downtown. Or to the store for burbanites!
    I figure 1% of the time I'd like to not have my lid. The hot crappy traffic days! Or stuck on the highway in the heat! Pull the helmet off and do the stop and go!
    I still believe there is a medical argument to be made at certain temps to not where one!
    Having had crappy helmets when I first started riding I know the comfort of a good one and most of my riding would be with it.
    I wanna wear what I wanna wear when I wanna wear it!(mantra)

Quote Originally Posted by z31tt View Post
    He couldn't just let the issue die could he. He had to appeal. Anyway this ruling comes out, it is bad for the motorcycling community. There will be many fraudulent statistics thrown about by people who have no place to be involved in a motorcycle helmet discussion. There is no proof helmets save lives?

I think this creates a time for someone in the motorcycle community to stand up and educate the public. If we leave the Sikhs to their own devices, our hobby will be an even bigger mess in the eyes of the public.
    We HAVE educated the public. For every quiet responsible rider, there is at least one or more loud hammerhead. Between youthfull exuberance and old men that should know better, we've given the general public quite the show over the years. I know when I'm blasting thru cottage country I'm not making a whole lotta new friends. The only people that might approve are the wannabe sidewalk commandos. Hardly people in a position of power. I just dont see those turbaned Sikhs doing any worse. Lets keep it real.

For me it's not about riding helmetless all day, it's the short runs I do day to day.
    Low speed stuff downtown. Or to the store for burbanites!
    I figure 1% of the time I'd like to not have my lid. The hot crappy traffic days! Or stuck on the highway in the heat! Pull the helmet off and do the stop and go!
    I still believe there is a medical argument to be made at certain temps to not where one!
    Having had crappy helmets when I first started riding I know the comfort of a good one and most of my riding would be with it.
    I wanna wear what I wanna wear when I wanna wear it!(mantra)
    I've been hit by two separate cars, less than 3 Kms from my house.

A helmet is filled with EPS foam; the same stuff as you find in coolers. It has wicking cloth to help absorb perspiration. The helmet is the least important thing to remove in hot weather.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I've been hit by two separate cars, less than 3 Kms from my house.

A helmet is filled with EPS foam; the same stuff as you find in coolers. It has wicking cloth to help absorb perspiration. The helmet is the least important thing to remove in hot weather.
    Sorry to hear about that!
    I thought sweat helped to cool the body so removing it was counter productive.
    Anyway, it's my hope and dream to just jump on the bike for an errand without all the gear that I normally ride with. Textile pants and jacket, suede/leather boots and gloves and of course my helmet!

donut

Sorry to hear about that!
    I thought sweat helped to cool the body so removing it was counter productive.
    Anyway, it's my hope and dream to just jump on the bike for an errand without all the gear that I normally ride with. Textile pants and jacket, suede/leather boots and gloves and of course my helmet!
    well, yes and no.

its not the act of sweating that really cools the body, its the the evaporation of that sweat that cools the body. when its more humid outside, the sweat evaportes more slowly, thats why humidity makes if feel warmer.
    Last edited by donut; 03-17-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Maybe somebody should send him this link... another tragedy from somebody that opposed helmet laws...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Larry#Death

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    On one hand you have religion, on the other hand you have safety. You're saying safety trumps religion. I think there is a strong arguement to be made that religion trumps safety. I'm not making that arguement. I'm just open to the idea that religion is very powerfull, trumping safety. I'm also open to the idea that safety is not a primary concern. If it were, motorcycles might one day be banned. I've said it many times, already. Slippery slope. Badesha getting his way could possibly help our cause in the future.
    Well, considering religion is based on BS and safety is based on facts, that is a bad argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    Well, considering religion is based on BS and safety is based on facts, that is a bad argument.
    If you are going to argue that religion is irrelevant, you better find something more intelligent than "religion is BS". More people on this planet believe in some form of religion than don't, so for now, your view is the minority.

I guess, being the minority though, you must be in the right. Isn't that what this guy is arguing, anyway?
    CHOWDAH RIDAH

2007 ZX-14 -92,000km
    2006 BW'S -7,000km
    2005 ZX636R -63,533km (stolen)
    2004 SV650S -30,000km (sold)
    2003 ZZR250 -15,000km (sold)

Current tire choice: Pirelli Angel
    Last tire choice: Road Smart- 19,000 on last set (not the best though..)
    CSC Certified Riding Instructor

Its quite simple really. You want to live in Canada and the province of Ontario. Live by the rules set. If not...LEAVE!
    2002 Suzuki GSX-1300R Hayabusa
    2006 Volvo S40 T56
    1998 Ford Mustang Cobra Convertible

This is frustrating, I am all about equality and respecting religion, but if he wants to ride without a helmet, sign a legal document and adjust his insurance policy to reflect this so we aren't spending healthcare on his vegetable of a body when his head has a religious argument with Canadian asphalt.
    2009 GSX-R 1000 (current)
    2009 GSX-R 600 (stolen)
    1999 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    Big Wheel...

Anscoop

Quote Originally Posted by GixxerN8 View Post
    This is frustrating, I am all about equality and respecting religion, but if he wants to ride without a helmet, sign a legal document and adjust his insurance policy to reflect this so we aren't spending healthcare on his vegetable of a body when his head has a religious argument with Canadian asphalt.
    This argument is SOO Flawed and the only thing that he should be challenging.
    They government is saying that helmets are mandatory because of the collective tax burden of the medical costs for people not wearing a helmet who get into an accident.
    If you are not wearing a helmet the likelyhood of death is MUCH HIGHER, THEREFORE THE HEALTH-CARE COSTS are lower.
    The government doesn't have the right to make any other argument, they are not AND SHOULD NOT be in the business of protecting people from personal injury, otherwise driving/riding/anything that involves the possibility should be outlawed as they are liable for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anscoop View Post

If you are not wearing a helmet the likelyhood of death is MUCH HIGHER, THEREFORE THE HEALTH-CARE COSTS are lower.
    No necessarily. The chances of a brain injury are much much higher not death. Death could result but so could requiring permanent care and rehabilitation along with other things that are really costly. The likly hood of death at 100 +km/h yes but many if not most accidents happen at much lower speed where severe life long brain injuries are more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by suprPHREAK View Post
    If you are going to argue that religion is irrelevant, you better find something more intelligent than "religion is BS". More people on this planet believe in some form of religion than don't, so for now, your view is the minority.

I guess, being the minority though, you must be in the right. Isn't that what this guy is arguing, anyway?
    I just love it when someone posts comments indicating that he thinks 80%+ of the world's population are idiots, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Totalpkg View Post
    Its quite simple really. You want to live in Canada and the province of Ontario. Live by the rules set. If not...LEAVE!
    Part of his argument is that there are at least 2 jurisdictions within Ontario that have recognized his "religious right" to ride without a helmet, so your position is a non-starter.

Quote Originally Posted by GixxerN8 View Post
    So several different systems should change in order to accommodate his ability to ride without a helmet? This is one of the reasons why I say that it's either a paramount safety issue, applicable to all, or it isn't.

I just love it when someone posts comments indicating that he thinks 80%+ of the world's population are idiots, don't you?
    Maybe he is on to something

Quote Originally Posted by suprPHREAK View Post

I didn't post that religion is irrelevant or that "religion is BS", you should work on your reading comprehension skills. He's basing his argument on "We don't believe a helmet is safe. Every day riders with helmets die in accidents. If I'm supposed to die today, I will die and nothing can save me." Yes, if its the will of God, then nothing will save me. If you believe that's a valid argument... well that says a lot about you.

Part of his argument is that there are at least 2 jurisdictions within Ontario that have recognized his "religious right" to ride without a helmet, so your position is a non-starter.
    Then move to those jurisdictions...
    2002 Suzuki GSX-1300R Hayabusa
    2006 Volvo S40 T56
    1998 Ford Mustang Cobra Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Totalpkg View Post
    Then move to those jurisdictions...
    We're in the same country. It's called "precedent."