171km/h in a 60km/h limit - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 171km/h in a 60km/h limit

Re: 171km/h in a 60km/h limit

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    You are right about dips, but there are almost no driveways, especially not hidden. I have studied this stretch quite a bit since that's where I got charged for allegedly going 149. The road is bordered with pretty thick fence through almost the entire length, so even the wildlife hazard is minimized.

Point is that 149 there and 149 in downtown Brampton are two entirely different offenses, although the same in the eye of the law.
    I was considering the number of intersecting driveways and roads at the type of speeds that we were discussing, which can be seen on that aerial map.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
    You can see everything well before you need to stop.
    You mean like how he saw the cop well before he blew past?

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
    Range on radar is less than a kilometre,
    Not trying to be create a useless side conflict here, but radar is practically unlimited in range is it not? I.E. If you can see the car, the radar can see it too. So 1-2-3-4-5 kms, whatever?

This comes from a conversation with an OPP officer trained in radar use, who was not trying to scare or impress me, just simply explain it's operation.

If somebody has links/info/experience to prove otherwise I'd like to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Royson View Post
    Not trying to be create a useless side conflict here, but radar is practically unlimited in range is it not? I.E. If you can see the car, the radar can see it too. So 1-2-3-4-5 kms, whatever?

This comes from a conversation with an OPP officer trained in radar use, who was not trying to scare or impress me, just simply explain it's operation.

If somebody has links/info/experience to prove otherwise I'd like to read it.
    Beam spread issues, making picking out a single target difficult beyond a certain point. LASER has a greater effective range that RADAR. Can't remember the numbers though.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Beam spread issues, making picking out a single target difficult beyond a certain point. LASER has a greater effective range that RADAR. Can't remember the numbers though.
    Laser is deadly accurate...it can pick out whatever you have hanging in your rear view mirror from 2km away (as far as the eye can see really)...only problem with that, is you have to be stationary...the systems in the cruisers are mobile radar, depending on the force, i know we use a system that points in 4 directions. Again, when there are 6 cars coming at you, all going roughly the same speed, its difficult to pick the one out, in my eyes, i wouldnt pick one out for the hell of it...but that all rests on the officers judgement. it all depends on the scenario...if its only one car coming at me, its hard for him/her to say it was another car...

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    fwiw.....going solo, at nearly triple the speed limit in a 60 zone is no way no how "street racing"....this kid should be thanking his lucky stars that's all he's been charged with

further proof that 203 is irresponsible....hear me out

previously well used and deserved charges that would have likely been used woulda been the likes of "dangerous driving" and possibly "criminal negligence in the operation of a motor vehicle".....c'mon folks......almost 180 in a 60!!!!!!!!

BUT.....everyone from lawmakers, to enforcers, to the media, are just chomping at the bit to wave the "street racing" flag whenever some dude drives a fast car in an aggressive manner

they got this one wrong....way wrong

serves them right

but at least the officer got her high-five back at the shop for the 7-day tow....pfft
    From what I know, you can get charged under 203 and get crim charges as well. Its all up to the po-po...
    2002 Suzuki GSX-1300R Hayabusa
    2006 Volvo S40 T56
    1998 Ford Mustang Cobra Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by mauroACM View Post
    Laser is deadly accurate...it can pick out whatever you have hanging in your rear view mirror from 2km away (as far as the eye can see really)...only problem with that, is you have to be stationary...the systems in the cruisers are mobile radar, depending on the force, i know we use a system that points in 4 directions. Again, when there are 6 cars coming at you, all going roughly the same speed, its difficult to pick the one out, in my eyes, i wouldnt pick one out for the hell of it...but that all rests on the officers judgement. it all depends on the scenario...if its only one car coming at me, its hard for him/her to say it was another car...
    I highly doubt stationary LIDAR is accurate within 2km. Yes it may be able to 'see' something 2km but can it accurately tell you the speed of said object.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    I highly doubt stationary LIDAR is accurate within 2km. Yes it may be able to 'see' something 2km but can it accurately tell you the speed of said object.
    Easily. All the units the OPP use are rated out to 1 mile, Stalker a little further than LTI.

The limiting factor is the operator aiming it, with only a fixed magnification sight it makes zapping a small target at range difficult. Perched up on overpasses they can ding you from a long long ways off.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Cool Re: 171km/h in a 60km/h limit

I heard he was drivining a Honda Z50 with a turbo!!

Give the guy a medal!
    2000 Blue & Silver Hayabusa
    1982 GS1100SZ Katana

Quote Originally Posted by moto22 View Post
    Hit 290 on the qew
    299 here

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK_GIXXER View Post
    I heard fantino jumped out in a superman suit and arrested the guy
    ahhahaahhaha

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    No one said it was a 2008. Kid probably bought a used one.
    Read the article again. It states it was a brand new 2008. I even bolded and underlined that part for you.

OPP impound super Windsor speeder's new car

The Windsor Star

Published: Wednesday, March 12, 2008
    Provincial police impounded a Windsor man's brand new car Tuesday night after catching him going nearly three times the speed limit.
    Shortly after 7 p.m., a Tecumseh officer was heading south on County Road 43, in a 60km/hr zone.
    She saw a northbound black 2008 Dodge RT4 which appeared to be travelling at a high rate of speed, police said.

Email to a friendPrinter friendly Font:

The vehicle entered the radar beam at 90 km/hr, and gradually increased in speed to 171 km/hr, according to police. The officer pulled it over.
    The driver told the officer he knew he was speeding, but didn't think he was going 171 km/hr. The driver also said he had just bought the vehicle last week.
    The 22-year-old Windsor man is facing a charge of racing a motor vehicle. Police also impounded his car for seven days and suspended his licence
    Canada is a country that doesn't know where it is going but is determined to set a speed record getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by dwebber7878 View Post
    - A Tecumseh officer was heading south on County Road 43, in a 60km/hr zone.
    - A northbound black 2008 Dodge RT4 which appeared to be travelling at a high rate of speed, police said.
    - The vehicle entered the radar beam at 90 km/hr, and gradually increased in speed to 171 km/hr, according to police.
    Now... I am not defending the guys actions one little bit... but if this is all in the name of safety, why didn't she turn on her lights as he approached her accelerating? It was a gradual acceleration, so there must have been plenty of time?? That certainly would have stopped him from reaching those speeds.

Maybe they are not allowed to do this... I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Now... I am not defending the guys actions one little bit... but if this is all in the name of safety, why didn't she turn on her lights as he approached her accelerating? It was a gradual acceleration, so there must have been plenty of time?? That certainly would have stopped him from reaching those speeds.

Maybe they are not allowed to do this... I have no idea.
    +1. If the guy wound up crashing into someone, the question would be why the cop didn't put on her lights and pull him over quickly. I'm not condoning the driver's actions....just wondering why the cop didn't react quickly to stop the speeder....put the cherries on as soon as he approaches and and the radar has already registered 90 in a 60....stop him before the driver reaches these speeds....or is there some unwritten rule somewhere in their handbook that I'm missing???
    "Is this a promise you'll keep...or one you'll break like the wind." Spinal Tap

--------------------------------

Burlington

Because the cops have a hard-on for 203ing people, for some reason they actually feel it makes the roads safer.

You know cause we have such a huge problem with street racers.....
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by z_rider View Post
    or is there some unwritten rule somewhere in their handbook that I'm missing???
    I think they are notching their firearm handles with 50+ takedowns... even Fantino is in on the action.