171km/h in a 60km/h limit - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 171km/h in a 60km/h limit

Re: 171km/h in a 60km/h limit

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    I agree with you that the kid was stupid, I'm just trying to point out that the story has obviously been sensationalised. We don't know the circumstances. For all we know it could have been an open stretch of road that randomly drops to 60kph. Yes 171kph is extreme and should be looked down upon but the speed itself isn't exactly foreign to motorcyclists.

I do realise why this is unacceptable, I do realise how its unsafe. I'm just pointing out that before everyone gets the lynch mob together, we've all been guilty of transgressions against the HTA some just as serious.
    Roads don't generally "randomly" drop to 60 Kmh. They do so in built up areas (even if only a few houses), places where the road curves, intersects major roads at stops, or has a considerable grade.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I agree with you that the kid was stupid, I'm just trying to point out that the story has obviously been sensationalised. We don't know the circumstances. For all we know it could have been an open stretch of road that randomly drops to 60kph. Yes 171kph is extreme and should be looked down upon but the speed itself isn't exactly foreign to motorcyclists.

I do realise why this is unacceptable, I do realise how its unsafe. I'm just pointing out that before everyone gets the lynch mob together, we've all been guilty of transgressions against the HTA some just as serious.

Hit 290 on the qew

I agree sort of, and when I hear about some dude getting dinged at 160 on the 407 early on a Sunday morning, I don't think it's a biggie....heck, when you're on there when there's traffic it seems like the limit is 125 if you ask me....time and place IMO should be relevant to the charge, and stretching the legs on a multilane highway designed for highspeed with guardrails and no residential areas sitting off the side of the road is much different to doing that speed in a 60km zone

I think challenging the copper's report of him actually hitting 171 is a real stretch......I'd rather challenge why this was brushed off with a stupid racing charge and not a more appropriate charge

Using a clunky transition zone as some sort of defence is relavent when you're dinged for doing the speed before the transition.....not 70kph over the speed before the transition...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Roads don't generally "randomly" drop to 60 Kmh. They do so in built up areas (even if only a few houses), places where the road curves, intersects major roads at stops, or has a considerable grade.
    I'm not joking, there's places west of London where roads drop to 60 because there's an intersection, six houses & a store rate a 50. There are no grades and no road curves until you hit the St.Clair river.

Quote Originally Posted by Royson View Post
    Whats unbelievable about that? It said in the story he gradually increased. An SRT4 will hit 171 like it's nothing. If you're gunning one to test out how fast your brand new toy will go, I doubt it took more than 15 seconds or so to pin it up there.
    The officer reported she zapped the oncoming car at 90, then in the time it took for them to pass each other he reached 171km/h. Range on radar is less than a kilometre, assume the cruiser is doing 60km/h (probably closer to 80), so by her own accounting in 750m he went from 90-171. Distances were probably even tighter, possible but doubtful. Either way he's well 203'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    I agree that the limit could be higher. I'm just trying to get people to think in terms of seconds, not kilometers per hour. There would be no such thing as an accident if we had an hour to assess and react to a situation on the road. When you think of it in those terms if you approach a side road that speed you have little to no chance of avoiding a collision if something moves out in front of you, child, deer, car, tractor or otherwise.
    Ever drive out west? When I say flat, I mean FLAT. You can see everything well before you need to stop. This time of year there isn't even any crops growing, you can see everything that might want to come out onto the road. Ever drive the 407 between the Oakville Ford plant and the airport? THAT flat and barren, only no curves. The risk is zero.

$500 fine for being dumb enough to stop, that should be it.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    wasn't it reported that he had a Dodge RT4 (hopped up Neon)

Dodge stopped making the Neon SRT4 a few years ago, so it couldn't have been a 2008 Neon.
    The only SRT4 that Dodge makes now is the Caliber. And yes, it's SRT4, not RT4.
    The Dodge Caliber SRT4 has a turbo charged 2.4L inline 4-cylinder and makes about 285hp. It has a 0-60 (mph) time of 6.2 seconds and only comes in a six speed stick. Sport tuned suspension, traction control and performance tires are stock. All this for under $25,000.
    If I was 22 again and had a car like this, I would be driving it hard too! Although, my road of choice was the 407 in the wee hours of the morning, not a 60 zone!
    Canada is a country that doesn't know where it is going but is determined to set a speed record getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
    I'm not joking, there's places west of London where roads drop to 60 because there's an intersection, six houses & a store rate a 50. There are no grades and no road curves until you hit the St.Clair river.
    Nor am I. Get a few houses and a store together, in one place, and it's called a 'village.' The speed limit SHOULD be reduced in such places. I believe that I already mentioned that.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    not cool.....60kph and under means heavily populated so slow the heck down
    No, it does not mean anything. It may as well be a long stretch of straight country road with no intersections or side roads and barely any traffic.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Anyone feel like google mapping or google earthing the road to settle the 60 in populated area Vs long straight road with no one around. Just because it goes to 60 doesn't mean there is still houses and a village. I know in Huron County there are areas that used to have a few houses and the road goes down to 60 but the houses have long since been condemed or torn down.

I've seen what a car looks like when it colides with the corn header of a combine (sp?). It wasn't pretty and many take up 1 and a half lanes on the road.
    So in other words, that combine shouldn't have been on the road if it can't stay in its lane and the driver of the combine should be charged.

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    look.....you could NEVER rationalize 170 in a 60....it's just retarded

if you wanna complain about 203 on this one....the complaint is simple....203 rapes the masses......and lets this Darwin go with nothing cause the mindset is incomparable

for those lookin to rationalize.....take off your 400lb bike helmet.....and strap on a 3500lb car....you can't brake on a whim and do a Chinese wheelie for style points

understand why this is unacceptable and irresponsible in terms of why 203 is wrong, and quit trying to rationalize the behavior
    Let's hear you rationalize why the cop didn't pull him over for going 30 over instead of letting him go up to 110 over. Cops don't care about law enforcement, just the "glory" of getting a 203 charge.

Quote Originally Posted by dwebber7878 View Post
    Dodge stopped making the Neon SRT4 a few years ago, so it couldn't have been a 2008 Neon.
    The only SRT4 that Dodge makes now is the Caliber. And yes, it's SRT4, not RT4.
    The Dodge Caliber SRT4 has a turbo charged 2.4L inline 4-cylinder and makes about 285hp. It has a 0-60 (mph) time of 6.2 seconds and only comes in a six speed stick. Sport tuned suspension, traction control and performance tires are stock. All this for under $25,000.
    If I was 22 again and had a car like this, I would be driving it hard too! Although, my road of choice was the 407 in the wee hours of the morning, not a 60 zone!

No one said it was a 2008. Kid probably bought a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    Let's hear you rationalize why the cop didn't pull him over for going 30 over instead of letting him go up to 110 over. Cops don't care about law enforcement, just the "glory" of getting a 203 charge.
    based on the way I read the story....the car was heading towards the cop wasn't he?

a bit hard to stop him at 30 over let alone "letting him go to 110 over".....

I can't believe how many of you are backing up this BS law. When is the last time they changed speed limits in this province? They are rediculously low. 171km/h is nothing on a flat country road, so for you who say he is stupid (I'm sure he realized it is a flat road with feilds for a long stretch) Brakes are a lot better now then they were 30 years ago.

Some people are getting brainwashed by this BS.

Quote Originally Posted by highonpsi View Post
    I can't believe how many of you are backing up this BS law. When is the last time they changed speed limits in this province? They are rediculously low. 171km/h is nothing on a flat country road, so for you who say he is stupid (I'm sure he realized it is a flat road with feilds for a long stretch) Brakes are a lot better now then they were 30 years ago.

You might want to check the past posts of those of us who have said that doing 171 in a 60 zone was stupid, before making comments that we support 203

Anyone feel like google mapping or google earthing the road to settle the 60 in populated area Vs long straight road with no one around. Just because it goes to 60 doesn't mean there is still houses and a village. I know in Huron County there are areas that used to have a few houses and the road goes down to 60 but the houses have long since been condemed or torn down.
    Here's one, but I'm sure there are even better examples:

Northern part of Heart Lake Road

The entire stretch from Olde Baseline Road to Highway 9 is 60, if my memory serves me well.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

Quote Originally Posted by highonpsi View Post

I'd bet a few dollars that the time I've spent trying to fight this BS legislation would be considered higher than the average

and yes....I think that the 203 charge on this kid is BS.....apparently, there's a vast array of stunts you can pull under this new legislation, and no matter how different in terms of severity (aka passing a truck doing 50 over.....hitting a transition zone and getting dinged at the previous limit....etc)....the charge is the same

you go ahead with the old speed limit rationale, and the better modern brakes theory to fight the law when some Darwin is pegged going 110 over....and I'll request that you don't contact your MP with that argument

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    So in other words, that combine shouldn't have been on the road if it can't stay in its lane and the driver of the combine should be charged.
    I'm not sure if that particular combine was into 2 lanes (cause it was in pieces).
    I honestly don't know what the rules are because I used to see a combine go through Clinton (small town) it took up more than a lane. It had escourts and the signs and lights. It probably falls under similar rules to when they are moving oversized things and houses on tractor trailers. I remember questioning the legality at the time but not sure if anyone in local law enforcement cared. You know small town farm community thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Here's one, but I'm sure there are even better examples:

Northern part of Heart Lake Road

The entire stretch from Olde Baseline Road to Highway 9 is 60, if my memory serves me well.
    You may be right, but as I recall that stretch also has quite a few dips in it that limit vision, and a lot of driveways that abut upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    You may be right, but as I recall that stretch also has quite a few dips in it that limit vision, and a lot of driveways that abut upon it.
    You are right about dips, but there are almost no driveways, especially not hidden. I have studied this stretch quite a bit since that's where I got charged for allegedly going 149. The road is bordered with pretty thick fence through almost the entire length, so even the wildlife hazard is minimized.

Point is that 149 there and 149 in downtown Brampton are two entirely different offenses, although the same in the eye of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    You are right about dips, but there are almost no driveways, especially not hidden. I have studied this stretch quite a bit since that's where I got charged for allegedly going 149. The road is bordered with pretty thick fence through almost the entire length, so even the wildlife hazard is minimized.

Point is that 149 there and 149 in downtown Brampton are two entirely different offenses, although the same in the eye of the law.
    i completely agree with you...

If officers are allowed to use discretion as to when they can hand out bill 203, why aren't we motorists allowed to use discretion where and when we drive fast?

Obviously driving 150 on Steeles avenue is a bad idea, but driving 150 on a country road out in the boondocks really isnt that big of a deal (so long as the wildlife doesnt interfere).
    RR