Ontario Helmet Laws Not Discriminatory... - Page 3

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ontario Helmet Laws Not Discriminatory...

Re: Ontario Helmet Laws Not Discriminatory...

I think this thread has run its course. It's the weekend!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jay-d View Post
    I'm glad I helped, even if a little! I've heard some crazy stories when it comes to Sikh's wearing Kirpans. This one guy told me that he heard if a Sikh takes out his Kirpan, they have to shed blood or kill someone before they can put it back in it's sheath.. my jaw dropped at such radical non-sense!

Where do people come up with these bogus stories!?

Oh Man this thread is very informative and hilarious ,i just finished shovleing and not in a good mood but got some good laughs hear example the spaghetti monster god...lol..thats funny and i herd that as well about the Kirpan if comes out somebody got too die.....doesn't matter who jus somebody !!..lolit's good thing you took the time to clarify your religion i think its very missunderstood
    Last edited by moto22; 03-09-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moto22 View Post
    Oh Man this tread is very informative and hilarious ,i just finished shovleing and not in a good mood but got some good laughs hear example the spaghetti monster god...lol..thats funny and i herd that as well about the Kirpan if comes out somebody got too die.....doesn't matter who jus somebody !!..lolit's good thing you took the time to clarify your religion i think its very missunderstood
    the Spaghetti Monster God is watching you!!

Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

the Spaghetti Monster God is watching you!!

L M A O...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    You're too much.....you wanna talk about religion here goes. I am a Roman Catholic, born in Poland, named after the late Pope John Paul II (my name is actually Karol). My brother has a given name closely related to the late Pope's surname (Wojtyla). My aunt is a nun, one of my great uncles a priest. My father is building a church (largely with his own money) in Brampton just off of Steeles. I still go to church every Sunday. What pisses me off is that you try to make out like everyone should be a Sikh...that people aren't machines......but have you still answered my obvious point? No. Peoples' beliefs are there beliefs but a child that hasn't matured WILL NOT act approprately or in good judgement especially with what goes on in schools nowadays. I don't know how old you are but from your post I'd say you are at least twice my age, having said that, things have changed. Have you picked up a news paper or watched CNN in the last few years with regards to what happens in schools??? Are you not aware that although these Sikh parents are doing everything in their power to raise a good, law abiding, religious child and yet when entering a school is basically like walking into a war zone sometimes. Children do not have the self control you might think regardless of their religion. I know because I see it, I am saying this from experience and it seems like since you haven't had a run-in with a Sikh that they are somehow enlightened and god-like. Get a grip. Any child can loose control and the least amount of things they can use the better.
    You sound like a politician, "ummm well we won't change a thing until a child dies.....ummm then we might change certain things as long as it doesn't violate anyone's beliefs.......ummm well the kid's burried now, let's work on the budget"
    I pray everyone's children are safe....I don't want to wait until the "first death" to validate my point.
    P.S. Jay D agreed with me earlier........and he's the one who actually speaks from experience with this Sikh thread.
    So what subject do you teach?
    Leave him alone Lock!
    Dyna Coils/wires, 750 ECU, Dyna Rev Limiter, Orient Express Drag 2nd Gear replacement, Rebuilt Tranny, Mikuni RS 36 Flatslides, BMC Pod Filters, GSXR 1000 '01 Titanium Header and Exhaust, Oil cooler base Mod,Busa Rear Shock, Braided SS Brake Lines &Clutch Line, Busa Clutch Master, Busa Clutch Slave, FP Clutch Detent Spring, Ape Manual CCT, GSXR K1 Fork Caps/Adjusters, Race Tech Springs,

From the millions of Sikh's world wide, there has never been any sort of news regarding using a Kirpan as a weapon (to my knowlege).. it's it NOT a weapon. Can't say the same thing about guns can we? The only times we used Kirpan's as weapons were back in the day, when civil wars were prominent.

Please don't insult something you don't understand.. I've read a lot of your posts and you seem like a very knowledgeable person. Hopefully this clarifies it's use.
    Well, make up your mind, you say it isn't a weapon, then a sentence later you say it was used as a weapon in civil wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    Well, make up your mind, you say it isn't a weapon, then a sentence later you say it was used as a weapon in civil wars.
    Wikipedia is your friend.

"Back in the day", did you miss that part? In this day and age it's purpose has become symbolic and no longer seen as a weapon. Maybe if you read the whole thread and the links, it's clearly stated. If you really care (which I don't think you do), use google and find the answers on your own.

HighFrequency

I just made it through this thread, and it did skew a little. It started as a helmet law thing, and proceeded to change into a Kirpan discussion. I don't know about the Kirpan, but here's my opinion on the helmet thing:

1) I believe that any law that is designed to protect an individual's safety, should be non-discriminatory. That means that if I have to wear a helmet, then a Sikh has to wear a helmet; conversely, if a Sikh doesn't have to wear a helmet then neither should I.

2) If a Sikh chooses not to wear a helmet, that's fine... as long as he's not operating or riding as a passenger on any motorcycle or other vehicle wear a helmet is law (not sure, but I believe this includes ATVs and snowmobiles, correct me if I'm wrong on this)

3) BC and Manitoba are f***ed for making exceptions for Sikhs. I grew up in MB, and spent the majority of my adult life in BC so this comment does not stem from some sense of Ontario patriotism. In fact, I can't wait for the day when I get to go back to Victoria and ride my bike year-round, WITH A HELMET EACH AND EVERY TIME.

In closing, put a damned helmet on, or take the the bus.

WHOA! I just thought of something! The 5 K's that were mentioned... the first was the HAIR. No mention was made of the turban. Why can't the Sikh just put his hair UNDER the helmet, then replace his turban when he dismounts, and removes the helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by HighFrequency View Post
    WHOA! I just thought of something! The 5 K's that were mentioned... the first was the HAIR. No mention was made of the turban. Why can't the Sikh just put his hair UNDER the helmet, then replace his turban when he dismounts, and removes the helmet?
    Sigh.. this is never going to end

A turban is part of the Sikh uniform, it covers our hair, it's our image. The kesh (hair) and turban go hand in hand.. you can't have one without the other. Just like in my belief, you can't ride a motorcycle without a helmet, they go hand in hand!

Can we please end this thread now?

HighFrequency

So be it. Ride a motorcycle or wear a turban, but not both.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    You know this has become silly now kirpans have nothing to do with riding and thats what this sight is about riding!!.

Whoa whoa whoa.. easy there man. I'm Sikh and it's not a blade or a huge knife.. in fact that's an insult and rather than assuming what the purpose of it is, I'll be glad to clarify.. there's nothing worse than assumptions based on a religion.

A baptized Sikh carries 5 articles of faith on him at all times, they are never removed. This is the Sikh uniform, it is the way of life for a Sikh much like a Shaolin Monk or Samurai. The 5 articles of faith all start with the letter 'K' so they are referred to as the 5 K's.
    1. Kesh Kesh means hair. A Sikh should treat his hair as a gift from God himself. It is His trust. To keep this God-given form intact is the first and foremost duty of a Sikh. The hair is a symbol of faith, and keeping long hair confirms a Sikh's belief in the acceptance of God's Will, and teaches him Humility and Acceptance.
    2. Khanga Khanga means comb. Sikhs use a small wodden comb because it can be worn easily in the hair all the time. Apart from its practical utility, a comb is clearly a symbol of cleanliness. Just as a comb helps to remove the tangles and cleans the hair, similarly a Sikh is reminded to get rid of any impurities of thought by repeating 'NAAM' (God's name) in his mind.
    3. Karra Karra literally means a link or bondage. It is a steel bracelet which is worn on the right hand wrist like a wedding ring which signifies a bond between the two people. The Karra is the Guru's own symbolic ring to all his Sikhs signifying their unbreakable link or bond with the Guru as well as among themselves, belonging to the brotherhood of Khalsa. Also the circle is a symbol of restraint and in practice a constant reminder to the Sikh of ideal behavior in the event of weakness.
    4. Kachha Kaccha is a pair of shorts. This is special, slightly longer type of underwear and is symbolic of continence and a high moral character. Like breeches, Kaccha can be worn on their own without causing embarrassment. Thus it is quite useful in hot weather, swimming and sports activities.
    5. Kirpan Kirpan comes from the word 'KIRPA' and 'AAN'. Kirpa means an act of kindness, a favour; and 'aan' means honour, respect, self-respect. It is an instrument which adds to self-respect and self-defense. Thus for Sikhs, Kirpan is the symbol of power and freedom of spirit. All baptised Sikhs should wear a short form of Kirpan (approx. 6" to 9" long) on their body. To call it a dagger or knife is rather insulting to this article of faith, which functions quite differently from the other two.
    From the millions of Sikh's world wide, there has never been any sort of news regarding using a Kirpan as a weapon (to my knowlege).. it's it NOT a weapon. Can't say the same thing about guns can we? The only times we used Kirpan's as weapons were back in the day, when civil wars were prominent.

Please don't insult something you don't understand.. I've read a lot of your posts and you seem like a very knowledgeable person. Hopefully this clarifies it's use.

Well here is a great idea... since you are trying to make Canada follow the rules of your homeland, and you expect us to allow these things, yet most do not agree.. GO BACK TO YOUR HOMELAND where these things are welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by type_s kid View Post
    Well here is a great idea... since you are trying to make Canada follow the rules of your homeland, and you expect us to allow these things, yet most do not agree.. GO BACK TO YOUR HOMELAND where these things are welcomed
    I am. I was born in Canada. Whaaaaazzzzzzzz upppppppppp!!!!!

Canada is multi-cultural and it allows us to practice what we want, how we want. You're very ignorant.

I am. I was born in Canada. Whaaaaazzzzzzzz upppppppppp!!!!!

Canada is multi-cultural and it allows us to practice what we want, how we want. You're very ignorant.
    sshhh you know they expel people in Canada for quoting budweiser commercials. Only Molson Canadaian and Labatt Blue commercials are allowed. Didn't you get the memo?

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    sshhh you know they expel people in Canada for quoting budweiser commercials. Only Molson Canadaian and Labatt Blue commercials are allowed. Didn't you get the memo?
    Oh snap.. my sincere apologies.. I don't drink so I was never on the memo list

Call me what you want I dont give a S***, I am SOOOO sick of people using religion, race and anything else they can to change and bend rules to better suit them. like I said if you really want to follow these "rules" go back to the homeland where these "rules" came from.

Yes Canada is Multi-cultural and thats AMAZING and i am VERY happy to live here and feel safe BUT !!!! when people come here and demand rules and laws to be changed because of the "R" word that REALLY pisses me off. Why not move here and be happy for the freedom and health care which we provide and stop trying to make this a "mini (insert country/religion here )"
    Last edited by type_s kid; 03-11-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Call me what you want I dont give a S***, I am SOOOO sick of people using religion, race and anything else they can to change and bend rules to better suit them. like I said if you really want to follow these "rules" go back to the homeland where these "rules" came from.

Yes Canada is Multi-cultural and thats AMAZING and i am VERY happy to live here and feel safe BUT !!!! when people come here and demand rules and laws to be changed because of the "R" word that REALLY pisses me off. Why not move here and be happy for the freedom and health care which we provide and stop trying to make this a "mini (insert country/religion here )"
    You seem to be carring a huge burden on your shoulders there kid. It's ok, breathe. You do realize that people, whatever religion/race they are can and do practice their beliefs day in and day out without you even knowing about.. better yet, without even affecting you. You only hear about it because of the news or on here.

It has nothing to do with you, it isn't affecting your daily life, your safety, it doesn't even concern you so why don't you let go of this self-burden you have weighing on your shoulders? Maybe you won't feel so uptight or important (as you've clearly demonstrated) if you let it go.

You should also stop contradicting yourself and read a knowledgeable book. I recommend, "Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Stop listening to the news, stop believing the hype on the media, if you can't come into a discussion with out an open mind, THAT attitude is what makes Canada a ****** place, not the mass diversity seen before you in your daily life.

Edit: What are you really so upset about? Is it the helmet thing? Is that that we're allowed to carry a Kirpan without you know for symbolic/religious purposes? I don't get it.. maybe you just need a hug?
    Last edited by jay-d; 03-11-2008 at 02:27 PM.

You seem to be carring a huge burden on your shoulders there kid. It's ok, breathe. You do realize that people, whatever religion/race they are can and do practice their beliefs day in and day out without you even knowing about.. better yet, without even affecting you. You only hear about it because of the news or on here.

It has nothing to do with you, it isn't affecting your daily life, your safety, it doesn't even concern you so why don't you let go of this self-burden you have weighing on your shoulders? Maybe you won't feel so uptight or important (as you've clearly demonstrated) if you let it go.

You should also stop contradicting yourself and read a knowledgeable book. I recommend, "Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Stop listening to the news, stop believing the hype on the media, if you can't come into a discussion with out an open mind, THAT attitude is what makes Canada a ****** place, not the mass diversity seen before you in your daily life.

Edit: What are you really so upset about? Is it the helmet thing? Is that that we're allowed to carry a Kirpan without you know for symbolic/religious purposes? I don't get it.. maybe you just need a hug?
    This is the best response you could muster up ? are you kidding me ?
    I am far from an up tight person, and I have nothing weighing on my shoulders at all actually. What I do have is no time or patience for people who can not and will not accept rules and EXPECT rules to be changed for them.
    Now I have NO ISSUE at all with people practicing religion but when it comes to someone carrying a knife..oops excuse me a Kirpan which can be used as a wepon ( and I dont care if it has not happend YET ) or feeling that he is exempt from the helmet because he has a turbin on.. yes things like this piss me off and are totally un called for.

Like I said the thing I am upset about is the fact that people come here and EXPECT laws to be changed to better suit them, changes that reflect the country in which they moved from for one reason or another. And if you were born here in Canada and you feel that this religion is so wonderful then quit trying to change our laws which we have in place and buy a plane ticket and save the rest of us the BS time of listening to this crap

This is the best response you could muster up ? are you kidding me ?
    I am far from an up tight person, and I have nothing weighing on my shoulders at all actually. What I do have is no time or patience for people who can not and will not accept rules and EXPECT rules to be changed for them.
    Now I have NO ISSUE at all with people practicing religion but when it comes to someone carrying a knife..oops excuse me a Kirpan which can be used as a wepon ( and I dont care if it has not happend YET ) or feeling that he is exempt from the helmet because he has a turbin on.. yes things like this piss me off and are totally un called for.

Like I said the thing I am upset about is the fact that people come here and EXPECT laws to be changed to better suit them, changes that reflect the country in which they moved from for one reason or another. And if you were born here in Canada and you feel that this religion is so wonderful then quit trying to change our laws which we have in place and buy a plane ticket and save the rest of us the BS time of listening to this crap
    Boohoo. I don't mind the Kirpan carrying at all. If I was spiteful, and just because you're so angry.. I'd do it just to see you get riled up even more! This is great entertainment, I might wear it tomorrow.. just because I can.

I agree with the helmet thing but even if that law passes and you were around, I'd take off my helmet, wrap up my turban and ride circles around you and smile.

Just kidding.. man, look, I don't know you and from reading your posts you come across as a REALLY uptight dude. I'm sure you're legit but just because you don't agree with something don't get so ****** off about it.. jeesh. Look at the bigger problems like the idiots with GUNS that ARE using them and murdering people.. stop picking on a religion that you know nothing about and just waiting ("yet") for something to happen..

Boohoo. I don't mind the Kirpan carrying at all. If I was spiteful, and just because you're so angry.. I'd do it just to see you get riled up even more! This is great entertainment, I might wear it tomorrow.. just because I can.

I agree with the helmet thing but even if that law passes and you were around, I'd take off my helmet, wrap up my turban and ride circles around you and smile.

Just kidding.. man, look, I don't know you and from reading your posts you come across as a REALLY uptight dude. I'm sure you're legit but just because you don't agree with something don't get so ****** off about it.. jeesh. Look at the bigger problems like the idiots with GUNS that ARE using them and murdering people.. stop picking on a religion that you know nothing about and just waiting ("yet") for something to happen..

How do I come across as uptight, because I dont feel that you deserve special treatment? or is it the fact that I will speak my mind and not care who gets upset about it ?... The fact of the matter is this. You moved or live in Canada FOLLOW OUR RULES AND LAWS !!!! YOU are no different than me so why the hell should something be changed for you? You can practice your religion until your blue in the face i dont care at all.... AS LONG AS IT FOLLOWS OUR LAWS AND RULES.

Another one that bothers me is the Mounties that can wear a Turbin and not the PROPER uniform of a mounty. We all know the laws here and we all know that with certain jobs comes certain uniforms but some people cant accept that and have to have things changed to suit them and I'm sick of it.