Looking at getting a suit, some Qs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a suit, some Qs

Looking at getting a suit, some Qs

I'm currently using an A* jacket zipped to their track pants and it works ok. So my questions are on what people prefer and why.

1 pc or 2pc. I'm leaning towards the 1 pc as there is no waist seam to bunch up while tucked in. An issue I currently have now.

Back hump. Only for aero or does it offer any other protection over what my back protector provides.

Chest protector. Does anyone use these other than racers?
    Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

Re: Looking at getting a suit, some Qs

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloX19 View Post
    I'm currently using an A* jacket zipped to their track pants and it works ok. So my questions are on what people prefer and why.

1 pc or 2pc. I'm leaning towards the 1 pc as there is no waist seam to bunch up while tucked in. An issue I currently have now.

Back hump. Only for aero or does it offer any other protection over what my back protector provides.

Chest protector. Does anyone use these other than racers?
    i bought 2 2pc suits now i'm thinking i should have gone with a 1pc. the convinience of te 2pc is getting in and out is easier and on a hot day it's easy to just take the jacket off between sessions. as for chest protector, i find them too restrictive (i haven't worn one on the track though, i tried one and didn't like the feel) i use a dainese back protector and feel confident with it...

oh and another thing. get a good suit. we don't plan on going down but when u go down you want to be able to repair the suite with minimal cost. my dainese suite i went down pretty hard with it and it only cost me like 80 bucks to have it repaired and cleaned
    AM#98

2004 GSX-R600
    2006 300C AWD HEMI
    2008 Porsche 987s
    ----------------------
    Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

back hump does nothing other than aero... which is still debatable, since you'd have to be going pretty quick.
    1pc for track, definitely. 2pc can rip easily if you slide feet-first. plus, it's easier to manouver in it and the suit is lighter.
    i've seen chest protectors become more common nowadays. if it's comfy, wear it - extra protection can't hurt!!
    as for good suit - my 1st was a 90's AGV that i crashed 3 times in and it's still in 1 piece - just road rash, nothing broken/perforrated. my 2nd is a RST and I crashed heavily in it and it too didn't get damaged very much. buy something that has good leather and GOOD stiching and that is comfortable. more $$ doesn't mean more protection, imho.
    where's the wind?!

Two Piece is great for the street, where you can take off the jacket in the summer and be more comfortable without lugging around half a suit still attached to you.

The one piece definitely is more comfortable for track usage, or for spirited rides where you aren't planning on taking it off, or are ok with it sitting around your waist.

The hump is good. Sure they say it's for aerodynamics, but I find it greatly reduces helmet shake on the highway. It's also semi-padded for falls and such. I like them.

Chest Protector. Take a hard chest fall, and you will want one. Better to have it before you hit the pavement with something between you and the tarmac. a CE rated Back Protector is strongly recommended at all times, track or street.

The knox back protectors have an optional chest protector that is hooked into the shoulder strapping which is a nice feature.

Nites

I agree with all the benefits of 2 piece and I prefer a 1 piece suit. I actually find wearing my chest protector in my 2 piece suit to be a bit of a pain as it does not fit in there quite as well as in my 1 piece... but thats just a fitment issue.

For suits... look for things like Kangaroo hide - these suits are typically more expensive, but FAR FAR tougher than cow hide suits, and they are noticibly lighter. 'Roo suits are usually the upper echelon of suits that a manufacturer creates, so the price tags can get up there. Mixture of cow and 'roo hide suits are available and are a great breaking point between price points.

Most important thing is fitment. If the suit is too small, you can't move easily to ride. Too large, and the suit will tear on a fall, and will not protect you correctly. The suit should be VERY comfortable and fit as well as possible. It might take a few attempts at trying on suits to get that good fit.

Look for removable armor (especially if its CE rated) to assist with repairs and replacement if needed. Removable liner also assists with repairs and maintenance.

Top brands? Spyke, Spidi, Dianese, Alpinestars.

You could pick up a Dainese Laguna Seca at Riders CHoice custom fit for $1600 taxes in which is a great suit. Or you could got for the top Dainese one that just came out for close to $3000. Depends on your budget. Something to consider. It also depends on your body type. I am a short and stalky guy so all the suits that fit my upper body are meant for someone over 6 feet and I am only 5'7'. So I just went for the custom. I am just waiting for deliver which takes about 10 weeks so if you are going to do it you should do it now and you will get it right as the season begins.

I've definately decided on a 1pc. After putting my "2 pc" and pulling the jacket up assuming a feet first slide I was amazed at how much of the lower back is expose with only the fabric for the 360 zip as protection. Mind you my back protector would be there also, but still. On the front I was able to pull the jacket up enough to expose about 6" of my slowly increasing belly

I never thought that a suit too large would tear, I guess as the leather gathers and wrinkles during a slide the stresses are different. I've heard of the kangaroo suits, but my budget will be below that. Thanks for the input thus far.
    Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

2 piece if for no other reason than those timmies stops for a pee break

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    I agree with all the benefits of 2 piece and I prefer a 1 piece suit. I actually find wearing my chest protector in my 2 piece suit to be a bit of a pain as it does not fit in there quite as well as in my 1 piece... but thats just a fitment issue.

For suits... look for things like Kangaroo hide - these suits are typically more expensive, but FAR FAR tougher than cow hide suits, and they are noticibly lighter. 'Roo suits are usually the upper echelon of suits that a manufacturer creates, so the price tags can get up there. Mixture of cow and 'roo hide suits are available and are a great breaking point between price points.

Most important thing is fitment. If the suit is too small, you can't move easily to ride. Too large, and the suit will tear on a fall, and will not protect you correctly. The suit should be VERY comfortable and fit as well as possible. It might take a few attempts at trying on suits to get that good fit.

Look for removable armor (especially if its CE rated) to assist with repairs and replacement if needed. Removable liner also assists with repairs and maintenance.

Top brands? Spyke, Spidi, Dianese, Alpinestars.
    Be carefull, just because its Kangaroo doesn't mean its good. Just because its a top brand doesn't mean its good..........more and more of this "premium" stuff is made in china

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/rid...sion-suit.html

Gah! I own that suit!
    '05 Z1000

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    look for things like Kangaroo hide - these suits are typically more expensive, but FAR FAR tougher than cow hide suits, and they are noticibly lighter.
    Never worn a 'roo suit other than trying em on, but I hear they don't stretch at all when broken in where as cow hide will, so depending on which you go with you might want to start off with a snugger fit.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloX19 View Post
    I never thought that a suit too large would tear, I guess as the leather gathers and wrinkles during a slide the stresses are different.
    Also, if it is too loose all the suit's internal body armour won't stay where you want it to, protecting what it was designed for.
    "There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated"
    -NOFX 'the idiots are taking over'

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Be carefull, just because its Kangaroo doesn't mean its good. Just because its a top brand doesn't mean its good..........more and more of this "premium" stuff is made in china

Yikes, a number of posts there bashed A* which was kind of my leading canidate in regards to features/price. As good as a custom fit suit may be, my wife would object to $1600 versus an A* which is on close out for about half.

i have a RST and i crashed twice in it - one lowside that barely scratched the leather, and 1 cartwheeling experiment that left me with a 5h concussion i remember nothing from. the suit is barely damaged!!! i will definetely recommend it to anyone.

I got it for $750 and it's a 2005 model.
    Last edited by mihnea; 03-07-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: addition
    where's the wind?!

[QUOTE=AngeloX19;540149]
    QUOTE]

One peice is the best protection you can get. When you crash it is one complete solid unit. A two peice is designed for street convience. The mid zipper becomes a weak link in a crash and could possiblly separate. I find the two peice much more liveable on the street when you've got washroom breaks,etc. Try pulling off a one peice suit in a stall. However on the race track my one peice is awesome and offers more flexibility than my two peice when moving around on the bike.

oh and p.s. the hump is there for a reason other than areo. All helmets stick out about 1-2" at the back. a hump either small or big offers a smoother transition from your back to the base of your helmet. This is important when your sliding feet first on your back. It can prevent your helmet for catching something and slaming your chin into your chest or worse elongate your neck when your body keeps moving and your helmet slows rapidly. So basically, it helps to prevent a certain type of neck injury.
    You May Wheelie Me Down The Road....But I'll Stuff Ya In That Corner Every Time.......

R.A.C.E. AM #16
    S.O.A.R. Nov #16

www.puretrackdays.com

A big thanks to my sponsors: Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd., Brooklin Cycle Racing, Pure Trackdays Inc., Z1 Cycletech, Bickle Racing, Hindle Exhaust Systems, Armour Bodies, Accelerated Technologies., Don Butt Autobody, North American Decal.

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post

Also, if it is too loose all the suit's internal body armour won't stay where you want it to, protecting what it was designed for.
    Actually there is another significant problem with a loose suit, when you hit the ground the suit is going to want to stay put, whereas your body will have the room to keep sliding.......kind of a roadrash in the suit.

The hump is a big deal for protection in a highside and landing on your back, keeps your head,neck and torso in line, it makes up for the gap that the helmet makes.
    CyclePaintWorX - Booked solid until winter 2012.
    cyclepaintworx@gmail.com
    Ultimate Quality Refinishing.
    519-503-8933

Hump? What hump?
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Com'on, no family portraits here, just answers for questions..Lol.
    CyclePaintWorX - Booked solid until winter 2012.
    cyclepaintworx@gmail.com
    Ultimate Quality Refinishing.
    519-503-8933

Never worn a 'roo suit other than trying em on, but I hear they don't stretch at all when broken in where as cow hide will, so depending on which you go with you might want to start off with a snugger fit.
    A good 'roo suit is usually the top end of a manufacturers spectrum - hense it usually is well designed, and has the stretchy stuff in the right places to make the suit VERY wearable. Leather doesnt stretch very well either - even in those suits the stretchy stuff is required.

Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post

Very true - an example that the argument that "all suits are equal regardless of price" is not valid.
    Last edited by Grimmy; 03-09-2008 at 01:41 AM.