bike insurance for only the summer months....

Thread: bike insurance for only the summer months....

bike insurance for only the summer months....

I just bought my first bike will have m2 and drivers training by the end of April

i bought a 2003 Kawasaki ninja 500 ex

called around looks like 2g's a year

anyone ever get a years coverage starting in may then cancel in October

would that be a bad idea i know they would charge a fee upon canceling but if i could get almost a 1000 bucks back would it not be a good idea

just looking into my options

my dad runs insurance on his bike all year around however his insurance is like 650 a year

any input or options would be great thanks

Re: bike insurance for only the summer months....

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest... Now I know it sounds crazy, but maybe ask the ins. company/broker about buying a "summer only" policy.
    I'll bet they say...... No.

Rates/refunds are pro-rated.. You'll not save too much by trying to cancell in the fall..

nah.. no insurance for just those months.. the companies already thought of that, you're not the first one.
    btw, where are you located? I'm in Kitchener and am looking to get my first bike sometime soon. I have the course booked for the end of April too at Conestoga.
    Oh, and how old are you... what's your record like.. .and who you got insurance with...? (if you don't mind).. just wondering

they would defnitly say OK to that
    but its not necessarily a good thing on ur side
    wut they do is to for examle divide that $2000/12
    which would come up to around $167
    but u if u want it for six months only then they will gladly do the same math but over 6months which would come up to $333
    u do the math
    same **** diff smells!

Da Bridge 06 636, 05 R6, 03 R6, FZR600, CR500R and .....

Most insurance works like this...
    1 = 3
    every month of coverage = 3 months of premium...
    Translation : If you cancell after 30 days you will only get 75% of your money back ( - the charge for cancelling) even though you have only used 1\12 of the coverage... = burnville. Too many companies lost money (so they claim) their bread and butter with everyone cancelling when the weather truns bad .
    IF you are very lucky and have a good insurance payment history..they will sometimes break it down to 4 payments (first 4 months) but the companies that usually will do this are the most expensive ones.....
    The cheapest will want 100% upfront.
    You are screwed because of your age and inexperience....
    Don't feel too bad, everyone has to go through it.
    I got butt raped my first year real bad because of this and I had a SS bike... BAD+BAD+SSBAD= $2300
    Now bend over and try and think of a happy place...

Thinkin about it takes all the fun out of it !

I had a communication from State Farm a while ago telling me that they were allowing customers to suspended their motorcycle coverage throughout the year. However, on that plan, the premiums were calculated with something like 90% of the annual payments were made from March-October, so if you suspended insurance for the winter months, you would only save 10%, and you'd lose fire and theft on top of it for that "savings" benefit.

The insurance companies have already figured it all out.

Reminds me of a buddy who tried to make a claim on his motorcycle when he laid it down on an icy road in February. The broker asked him, "Why the hell were you riding in February?" He responded, "Why the hell are you charging me insurance in February?"
    Last edited by Lightcycle; 03-05-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post

Reminds me of a buddy who tried to make a claim on his motorcycle when he laid it down on an icy road in February. The broker asked him, "Why the hell were you riding in February?" He responded, "Why the hell are you charging me insurance in February?"
    lol okey sounds like i got to just suck it up a and pay

to someone up top i live in whitby and they offer a corase in whitby

and for insurance i got a couple good ones off of this site and called them i will find out which one it is latter

Lightcycle has it right. Years ago we used to be able to get insurance for 6 months or whatever, its been years though since thats happened. Just like MTO and stickers. We now have to buy a sticker for 12 months , having a bday in dec saved me a few months of sticker fees but they ****ed that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gcrouse View Post
    Lightcycle has it right. Years ago we used to be able to get insurance for 6 months or whatever, its been years though since thats happened. Just like MTO and stickers. We now have to buy a sticker for 12 months , having a bday in dec saved me a few months of sticker fees but they ****ed that as well.
    It's for the year. I haven't heard of anywhere offering 6 month bike policies in a long time.
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

i would imagine that all insurance companies will sell you a six month policy... It'll cost the same as a 12 month policy though.

I had a communication from State Farm a while ago telling me that they were allowing customers to suspended their motorcycle coverage throughout the year. However, on that plan, the premiums were calculated with something like 90% of the annual payments were made from March-October, so if you suspended insurance for the winter months, you would only save 10%, and you'd lose fire and theft on top of it for that "savings" benefit.

To expand on this a little.
    I have a pamphlet from state farm with the actual percentages of premiums charged per month for motorcycle insurance.
    They will let me "suspend" coverage at any time, for a month or more at a time.

But suspending coverage from Nov 1st to March 1st saves me only 8% of my yearly premiums.

These are actual percentages. So if you multiply your annual premium by these percentages, you will see the actual cost for you insurance each month.

As a sample... say your premiums were $1000 per year.

Last edited by djltoronto; 03-06-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added the word - percentages

C'mooon! Did that conversation really go down like that? Seriously? That's so good, I want to tell that story like it was mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1WheelDrive View Post
    C'mooon! Did that conversation really go down like that? Seriously? That's so good, I want to tell that story like it was mine.

Tell me about huh! i said the same thing, thats a good one!!