TTC bus driver hit me on purpose - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TTC bus driver hit me on purpose

Re: TTC bus driver hit me on purpose

As a former operator. I'm with dan_reinfoma on the money thing. Operators deal with way more then people think and deserve better treatment in a whole.
    Bikes R what unite us, what kind should not matter!

You wonder why people disrespect operators?

Get this, I was waiting for a bus during one of those snowy days, when the first bus that arrived into the bay wasn't mine, but the one behind it was. Seeing as it was a red light, I just walked to the second bus to save him the hassle of having to pull up and stop just for me. I get on, and the driver says to me "Can't you wait?" with a displeased tone in his voice.

Ok.. fine.. maybe drivers have been instructed to only get passengers right at the post.

Next time, I was already on the bus, and the same thing happens. The first bus pulls into the bay and I'm on the second bus that's not quite in the bay. The driver opens the door but the door leads to one of those giant snowbanks, so I don't bother to get out. I walk to the front and wait for him to pull completely into the bay where it's clear. The door opens and as I get out, the driver goes, "What? You can't get off before?"

WTF? I've had many good drivers who greet you and say good bye, but the ones that give you a hard time, or drive with a lead foot as though no one is standing on the bus really leave a bad impression for all.

And collectors in the booths? They should get paid $8.95 an hour for what they do. They look so unhappy behind the glass, I wonder why they even bother, then I remember they get paid to sit on their butts all day for $55k a year.

As for the inconvenience of having people jump in front of a subway, yeah, I know, I've been on the train when that happened. But unless you're at that station, you don't know what's holding everything up, and the TTC doesn't do a good job of informing people what happened, and how long to expect the delay to be. I'm sure if they were more informative, people wouldn't complain so much.

Lastly... they should allow cellular phone coverage down there. Who the hell wants to bomb that piece of crap anyway? We're suffering more than enough with it around already.
    Shama-la-ma-ding dong!

Quote Originally Posted by ace6061 View Post
    As a former operator. I'm with dan_reinfoma on the money thing.
    But if the money isn't worth it then why do you do it? Taking a job that pays a certain amount then turning around and complaining about the money doesn't make sense to me. I knew what my job was worth when I got it and when I start to feel that the job isn't worth the money I'll change jobs. Its really that simple.

I could see if no one wanted to do your job they would have to pay top dollar but I would bet there are thousands upon thousands that would want that job so for those who think its not worth it... let someone else do it.

Like most businesses when you want a raise you should justify why you deserve the raise. Nothing I have witnessed taking the TTC all winter has given me the impression that any of their employees deserve more than an increase based on inflation.

The problem lies in the fact that the TTC unions raise will come out of consumer pockets and I think the consumers are almost fed up with raises in cost and decreases in service. Sure the government should increase funding but should it go to wages or better service.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t Rider View Post
    drive with a lead foot as though no one is standing on the bus really leave a bad impression for all.
    Or the lead brake foot, I swear every other bus driver treats it like an on/off switch.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t Rider View Post
    As for the inconvenience of having people jump in front of a subway, yeah, I know, I've been on the train when that happened. But unless you're at that station, you don't know what's holding everything up, and the TTC doesn't do a good job of informing people what happened, and how long to expect the delay to be. I'm sure if they were more informative, people wouldn't complain so much.
    "Emergency at track level at (enter station name here) station"

I have found in the last while they have been very informative of delays when I'm on the subway.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

It seems that only when the TTC is going through contract talks do people get interested in their tax dollars. Nobody seems to care whst police or firemen make. Nor was there this much talk when the politicians gave themselves raises.

I agree with alot of is being said about the system being lousy. I take it regularly and I see first hand the behaviour you described. The people in the booth for the most part are there because they are not allowed to drive any vechicle for whatever reason. I have seen them interact with the public and I am disgusted. Those people then get on my bus and think that I am an *** aswell.

The TTC recieves 80% of its funding from the fare box. That is the most of any other system in North America. If the Provincial and Federal goverments would increase funding to the system, you would see a much more reliable and efficent system.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_reinfoma View Post
    It seems that only when the TTC is going through contract talks do people get interested in their tax dollars. Nobody seems to care whst police or firemen make. Nor was there this much talk when the politicians gave themselves raises.
    That's not true. Lots of people put up a stink when they heard their politicians voting themselves raises. But with politicians, we at least get the chance to vote them out.

As for the police, and fire department, what could you possibly do but complain to the politicians? You can't opt out of the service.

With the TTC, you see directly, money leaving your wallet and into their coffers. You experience their service interruptions right away.

I agree with alot of is being said about the system being lousy. I take it regularly and I see first hand the behaviour you described. The people in the booth for the most part are there because they are not allowed to drive any vechicle for whatever reason. I have seen them interact with the public and I am disgusted. Those people then get on my bus and think that I am an *** aswell.

The TTC recieves 80% of its funding from the fare box. That is the most of any other system in North America. If the Provincial and Federal goverments would increase funding to the system, you would see a much more reliable and efficent system.
    It's unfortunate that the government doesn't support the TTC, but at the same time, why can't the TTC run within budget? For $2.75 a ride, I want to know where that money is being spent? Salary and benefits probably take up the bulk of it, and I'm sure plenty is towards very undeserving individuals.

I'm sure if we allowed competition for transportation, we'd get very good service. But, alast, a government run, union owned monopoly has gotten us nothing but a deteriorating transit system with no hope of ever getting fixed.
    Shama-la-ma-ding dong!

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    And that will be the backlash from the public. They were offered a 2% raise which covers inflation and any of the negatives are the same ones every other job is facing in this modern economy. I can't think of another job that requires no post secondary education that pays that well. If they strike well fire them and fill there spot with the many people who would love to have that job for that income. Why is it so hard for people to understand the concept that if you don't think you get paid enough find a new job that pays more. In this case its because there is no other job out there that pays that well for how little skills are required. The least the TTC could do is mandate that the token collectors smile or at least put down their book when you ask for token or tickets or even directions.
    Politician... gets paid more, can vote in his yearly raise and their pension is indexed to inflation.

i see the TTC as a symptom of the way the whole country is run. no investment in the public services, even tho with this countries wealth we should be the #1 in the world... esp with oil prices as high as they are at the moment. our government has no idea how to properly administer this country's resources and how to look after it's people - if you want to see what's possible, look at the Scandinavian countries.
    where's the wind?!

Even despite the 80% of the funding coming from fare paying customers and yet we still get poor treatment from some of the drivers, I would hate to imagine the service if the majority of the driver's payroll comes from Government funding!

I agree with l33t Rider such that in other countries like where i'm from, public transportation is not monopolized we get an overall better transportation system. The competition not only drives the prices down, but yields better service and efficiency.
    Last edited by sevenfiddy; 03-14-2008 at 11:22 AM.

And that will be the backlash from the public. They were offered a 2% raise which covers inflation and any of the negatives are the same ones every other job is facing in this modern economy. I can't think of another job that requires no post secondary education that pays that well. If they strike well fire them and fill there spot with the many people who would love to have that job for that income. Why is it so hard for people to understand the concept that if you don't think you get paid enough find a new job that pays more. In this case its because there is no other job out there that pays that well for how little skills are required. The least the TTC could do is mandate that the token collectors smile or at least put down their book when you ask for token or tickets or even directions.
    lol ok

Quote Originally Posted by ace6061 View Post
    As a former operator. I'm with dan_reinfoma on the money thing. Operators deal with way more then people think and deserve better treatment in a whole.
    i agree, they have to deal with a lot, but on the same coin someone working at Tim hortor's has to work harder, deal with more ****, and still make less than half you.

The difference
    your union's ability to hold the city hostage

PS- Odd... me and Adrath are agreeing on something.....something must be wrong here...

If it were me Id just pay up and move on......but only till the smoke clears. Then that driver would wonder "why are my tires flat eveyday when I get up" "why does someone keep dumping piles of dog **** on my porch" "why is someone out to make my life misserable" "who did I screw over to deserve this"?

And you know the funny part is that person probably screwed over so many people, they would never know which one is getting back at them...

Karmas a ***** and paybacks a mother ****er!

It seems that only when the TTC is going through contract talks do people get interested in their tax dollars. Nobody seems to care whst police or firemen make.
    Did you just compare a TTC operator/token collector to a Police Officer/Fireman?

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post

PS- Odd... me and Adrath are agreeing on something.....something must be wrong here...
    Ya well VW's SUCK!
    naw I actually like Vdubs... lol

I think its a sign that spring is coming? or hell has frozen over.

Ya well VW's SUCK!
    naw I actually like Vdubs... lol

I think its a sign that spring is coming? or hell has frozen over.

VW will soon be taking over the roads.... or junk yards... we seem to have that on lock already

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    i agree, they have to deal with a lot, but on the same coin someone working at Tim hortor's has to work harder, deal with more ****, and still make less than half you.

The difference
    your union's ability to hold the city hostage
    That's a pretty good analogy. Unions were created to protect workers from abusive management. Management is the one who is responsible for providing safe working conditions (unless the nature of the job warrants otherwise), and a decent standard of living in pace with inflation. That is pretty much it.

In return, management expects work that is performed dutifully and efficiently, minimizing wastage in resources, and a certain level of accountability in the job.

The public is unhappy with TTC because they see:
    - personnel and resource wastage; ($55k toll booth operators, streetcar time recorders, etc, etc).
    - declining levels of service; (dirty stations and seats, crowded subways, delays, consistently late services).
    - increases in fare hikes;
    - poor investments in infrastructure; (5 stop Sheppard subway line cost $1billion)

So when the public sees this, it is understandable they feel this resentment towards the TTC.

Whether there are those on the forum who are TTC operators who think their personal experiences justify the actions of the TTC is irrelevant. The TTC has failed in its mandate: to provide reliable and efficient transportation to the public.

THis issue is BIGGER than a TTC operator getting attacked by the homeless. It is about a first class city like Toronto having a Third world transit system.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackenese View Post
    THis issue is BIGGER than a TTC operator getting attacked by the homeless. It is about a first class city like Toronto having a Third world transit system.
    And that is my big issue with the Union rejecting a basic cost of living raise. I know the union employees don't make all the decisions but when a transit system barely functions due to lack of funds and a poor attitude by many it seems hard to justify anything more than a basic cost of living raise. My question to them is Why do you think you deserve more money? Why do you think a guy who sits in a booth all day barely doing their job gets $55K a year? oh and please Bus operators never compare yourself to Police or fire fighters. You are a bus driver not emergency services.

Wow. Heated debate........nice
    I can admit that I make more than I should being part of two unions, and I would be happy with a minimal increase but that is not the way it works, and I do have a college education before anyone attacks me here.

The inner politics of this is basically if you don't ask for more than what you need, you won't even get the minimum you deserve.

The union reps. gets paid a percentage of members' salaries so the more it goes up....etc.etc.
    At the same time if a union accepts the first offer that is given, it not only looks to the members as a weak tactic but opens the commissions eyes to the fact that next time around a lower figure will be drawn up, and claw-backs will start, they really do not have a choice in the matter and reject it outright.

I like the situation I am in and for the last 6 years have never gone to the union for anything, 10% of union members take up 90% of union time and resources. And that's the way it is.

I can say that more than half of the people I work with are lazy and do not know what it is like to work hard for their money (like that song). They got in because of family ties and feel it is their birthright to exploit the situation. It's sad that unions only look at your seniority date to promote you to a position, "if yah gotta heart beat and started before the other guy.....the job is yours"
    I do more than my fair share and get looked down upon by my coworkers because of that, it doesn't bother me, I could care less about a bunch of lazy fatties......yes fatties!!

Having said that, if you genuinely have a problem with any public sector employee contact their supervisor, enough complaints and they will get theirs........these employees are not untouchable and the rank and file will make sure they get punished.
    BTW, I do not work for the TTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackenese View Post
    Have you ever been to a third world country? If so please name it and their transit system. The TTC needs a lot of work, but it is hardly on par with third world.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    Have you ever been to a third world country? If so please name it and their transit system. The TTC needs a lot of work, but it is hardly on par with third world.
    I think he was being sarcastic/overly dramatic