Car insurance and reporting tickets

Thread: Car insurance and reporting tickets

Car insurance and reporting tickets

So my insurance company is calling me to review my file. I had two tickets that went to court and were convicted within the last 3 years or so. I have renewed with this company after the court dates but they didn't mention any tickets on file. I have a feeling they looked into and found them now. Can I get in trouble for not reporting them? Whats a good out here?

Oh and the points on the tickets were all dropped if that matters...

Re: Car insurance and reporting tickets

There is a lot that can happen to you. Your insurance company can do anything from drop your insurance entirely to charge you with insurance fraud if they are so inclined.

I remember my father getting a speeding ticket in his car and his bike insurance company dropped him stating that he had "Failed to report" his speeding ticket to them.

Good luck.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Banned

nope. that doesnt matter to them

what has happened is you have comitted a misrepresentation of facts. as M said a lot can happen/

I have never reported tickets to my insurance company. The only time you are required to report anything is when you are APPLYING for insurance, not renewing your existing policy. If those tickets existed (the first issuance of them) BEFORE you started with that company, then yes, you may have a problem. If you were already insured with them when you were issued the tickets then you have no obligation to report them.
    Sorry, Luke. I'm just doing my job. You gotta appreciate that. Nah, calling it your job don't make it right Boss.

So do you have to notify them or do you just tell them when they ask? (dont say if they dont ask sorta thing)? Im with Statefarm and have a conviction on my record for speeding, should I call them or just wait till they ask? Anyone know what the rate increase would be on a under 49 speeding ticket?
    99 - r6 (sold)
    99 - CBR F4 (currrent)

Quote Originally Posted by hdsomeday View Post
    I have never reported tickets to my insurance company. The only time you are required to report anything is when you are APPLYING for insurance, not renewing your existing policy. If those tickets existed (the first issuance of them) BEFORE you started with that company, then yes, you may have a problem. If you were already insured with them when you were issued the tickets then you have no obligation to report them.
    Can i quote you on that? wait too late...

That's good to know because i had already been with this company before i got the tickets.

Ichibum

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    There is a lot that can happen to you. Your insurance company can do anything from drop your insurance entirely to charge you with insurance fraud if they are so inclined.

I remember my father getting a speeding ticket in his car and his bike insurance company dropped him stating that he had "Failed to report" his speeding ticket to them.

Good luck.
    Yeah and having your insurance policy cancelled is a BIG deal. That's one question you always get asked when you apply for a policy. Imagine having to tell them you lied, you can watch your premium go up instantly.

But I haven't lied per se, I just haven't voluntarily brought forth information.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtoruin View Post
    So my insurance company is calling me to review my file. I had two tickets that went to court and were convicted within the last 3 years or so. I have renewed with this company after the court dates but they didn't mention any tickets on file. I have a feeling they looked into and found them now. Can I get in trouble for not reporting them? Whats a good out here?

Section 5 of the automobile insurance application asks for "details of all convictions of the applicant and any listed driver arising from the operation of any automobile in the last 3 years."

If on the date you applied for insurance you had already been convicted then the insurance company may cancel your coverage due to Material Misrepresentation. If you still fall into their underwriting guidelines, you may get lucky and they may simply issue the policy with a surcharge.

If it was a renewal of an existing policy, and the insurance company renewed the policy, they can not change it until the next renewal date, the onus was on the insurance company to check your driving abstract prior to offering you a renewal.
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

Sweet, thanks for the tidbit. I won't feel so nervous returning this phone call now.

It shouldn't make a difference. I can tell them I have no tickets but when they pull my drivers abstract they will see the tickets. Most will renew without pulling it, but they can and do pull them on ocassion, so if they see it your premiums will go up, I'm pretty sure they won't drop you, if you already signed the agreement your on the hook for the full amount of their calculations, even if it goes up during your coverage period.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Ichibum

Quote Originally Posted by roadtoruin View Post
    But I haven't lied per se, I just haven't voluntarily brought forth information.

Don't kidd yourself! Lying by omission is the same thing.