Does your trackday need tire service?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your trackday need tire service?

Does your trackday need tire service?

Ok, I overspent big time this winter and need to recoup some on my investment. I have an awesome new "No-Mar" tire changer, static wheel balancer, air compressor & generator, all enclosed in a 12 foot trailer.

I am offering tire CHANGEING & BALANCING service at some weekend trackdays this spring & summer at either Shannonville or Calabogie (I'm based in Ottawa). My target market is smaller trackdays which may not have the volume for the services of the big tire guys like Orion or whatever.

I will probably have a very limited tire stock in my initial year until I get going, but thought there are enough guys/gals getting eBay & sportbiketrackgear.com tires and such, that they might like to have them changed right at the track as soon as your old set start to go off.

So in summary, if you host trackdays and think your riders would like this service, then send me an email (devlincomputer@gmail.com) and we'll see if our calendars can match up. Competitive prices offered.

See a demo of this great equipment in use: http://www.nomartirechanger.com/V2/CarbonFiber.html Balancer demo here: http://www.nomartirechanger.com/V2/Balancer.html
    Last edited by Devlin; 02-26-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: email address fixed (can't spell "computer" - LOL)

Re: Does your trackday need tire service?

Ha, I got a no mar as well this year. For the price it doesn't take too long to pay it back if you're flipping tires every track day. You should also mention to people that you can do car tires too. Big trade in used tires on kjiji these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TBK View Post
    Ha, I got a no mar as well this year. For the price it doesn't take too long to pay it back if you're flipping tires every track day. You should also mention to people that you can do car tires too. Big trade in used tires on kjiji these days.
    Cool. Which one did you get? The Classic, The Jr.Pro or the Pro model? I went with the Jr.Pro because I wanted it to last and still be portable. Yeah, it would be nice to even recoup half the cost, but that will be a long way off when I add in the cost of the balancer, the hitch mount, the compressor, the generator to run it, the trailer to haul it, and the car to tow it, plus all the extra bits that almost doubled the cost of the Jr.Pro unit itself. I did pickup the extra wheel clamps to do dirtbikes, cruisers and car tires as well, but will hold of on pushing that side of things for now. I'm mostly interested in changing and maybe selling sportbike/trackday/racing tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Devlin View Post
    Cool. Which one did you get? The Classic, The Jr.Pro or the Pro model? I went with the Jr.Pro because I wanted it to last and still be portable. Y

I got the classic with the tow hitch attachment instead of the stand. I built a balancer out of some stuff I had lying around and some bearings from princess auto. works a charm. My brother and I bought the changer together, since we both do trackdays. Considering it usually costs 40 bucks to change a set of tires, it won't take long to pay it back. Plus both him and I need new snow tires soon. Thats min 60 each to rim and rerim. We figure we will pay it off in one season. The big bonus is being able to pull your tires after a track day or two and them flip them. You get twice the life out of your tires and it doesn't cost anything. Plus it's safer than trying to get an extra day out of those semi shagged tires.

Quote Originally Posted by TBK View Post
    The big bonus is being able to pull your tires after a track day or two and them flip them. You get twice the life out of your tires and it doesn't cost anything. Plus it's safer than trying to get an extra day out of those semi shagged tires.
    Interesting. Are you talking about running them backward on the rim? I always wondered if that was possible (AKA: safe). I'd bet he manufacturers would say no, but I'm sure there are people who've done it (with success ?!?!)

Interesting. Are you talking about running them backward on the rim? I always wondered if that was possible (AKA: safe). I'd bet he manufacturers would say no, but I'm sure there are people who've done it (with success ?!?!)
    lots if people do, especially if you get a track that has a lot of turns one way. you can reverse the rear, but it is not recommended to reverse the front. but it can be done

I shudder when I see the tool running on the painted surface.
    It might work on a soft tire, but would surely cause problems with a harder compound one.
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

PM sent.

Your email address bounced.
    John R.
    desmojbr at yahoo dot ca

We've run pilot powers reversed, front and rear with no trouble. I've seen guys running the diablo super corsas backwards front and rear. The scuttlebutt says as long as they are 0 degree belts, it should be no problem.
    If we are going to run a tire opposite, we just make sure to test it out sufficiently first and make sure there are no handling issues. I have read a few posts on other sites where it seems pretty common place. I find uneven wear on the fronts isn't the issue. They wear pretty even, but the rears are a different story. I just like to make sure the front is in the right direction for larger faster tracks. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWheelDrive View Post
    PM sent.

Your email address bounced.
    Thanks. typo. address fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    I shudder when I see the tool running on the painted surface.
    It might work on a soft tire, but would surely cause problems with a harder compound one.
    No problemo. The parts that touch the wheel are some type of plastic or nylon. That's the beauty of it, and one of the main reasons I purchased it. I own $3000 Marchesini forged magnesium rims and I would never subject those to a pneumatic tire changer. Check out the No-Mar on the this very stiff Goldwing tire. They don't come much stiffer than this: http://www.nomartirechanger.com/V2/07Goldwing.html

No problemo. The parts that touch the wheel are some type of plastic or nylon. That's the beauty of it, and one of the main reasons I purchased it. I own $3000 Marchesini forged magnesium rims and I would never subject those to a pneumatic tire changer. Check out the No-Mar on the this very stiff Goldwing tire. They don't come much stiffer than this: http://www.nomartirechanger.com/V2/07Goldwing.html
    Every time i go in for tires for my 1800 wing,the young guys scatter in fear.It is a b**** of a job! They made it look really easy in the vid.The sidewalls on the OEM Bridgestones are so stiff,i think you could run em flat.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

I sell $3000 Marchesini wheels and would never consider using a machine that intentionally touches the wheel. Why touch the wheel if you don't need to.
    Mind you it means owning a much more expensive machine, but it's worth it for my clients.