Hwy + M1 = trouble - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hwy + M1 = trouble

Re: Hwy + M1 = trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Drops View Post
    There is always exeptions...lol

One GOLD STAR for Matthew .. for not braking the "highway traffic act" laws... guess your the one that drives on the 401 exactly 100km/hr ?!

the point is Matthew that we all brake "laws" everyday... in one way or the other.. speeding, parking, not using your turn signal, etc ... just not everyone gets Cought..
    Theres something about your attitude here that tells me you shouldnt be on the road at all....
    CHOWDAH RIDAH

2007 ZX-14 -92,000km
    2006 BW'S -7,000km
    2005 ZX636R -63,533km (stolen)
    2004 SV650S -30,000km (sold)
    2003 ZZR250 -15,000km (sold)

Current tire choice: Pirelli Angel
    Last tire choice: Road Smart- 19,000 on last set (not the best though..)
    CSC Certified Riding Instructor

When you get to court just tell the judge to ease his sphincter. Tell him everyone breaks the HTA once in a while and if he suspends your licence then you'll lose your job. You won't be able to your bills and he'll be putting you on the street. Don't worry it will all work out.
    Support your local rehab and hope you never need it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    When you get to court just tell the judge to ease his sphincter. Tell him everyone breaks the HTA once in a while and if he suspends your licence then you'll lose your job. You won't be able to your bills and he'll be putting you on the street. Don't worry it will all work out.
    I was a witness in a theft/conversion case, in which the defendant made a very similar claim. Actually, he took it one step further by stating that it would put his FAMILY, who bore no responsibility in the matter, out on the street. As I recall the summation, the sitting judge told the defendant that he should have thought of that before committing the crime in question and that the responsibility for the resulting hardship lay squarely on his own shoulders.

Drops, I'll say it one more time. Get a lawyer.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

how fitting his/her username is drops.......hehehe

But Rob that's just not fair to Drops here is it? It seems a little harsh. I mean, come on, it's not like he killed someone...use that too Drops, tell the judge to lighten up and arrest a real criminal. Tell him there are unsolved murders in this city and they're harrassing you for riding on a highway and not bothering anyone. Don't worry it will all work out.

But Rob that's just not fair to Drops here is it? It seems a little harsh. I mean, come on, it's not like he killed someone...use that too Drops, tell the judge to lighten up and arrest a real criminal. Tell him there are unsolved murders in this city and they're harrassing you for riding on a highway and not bothering anyone. Don't worry it will all work out.
    Fair or not is immaterial. As with other things we've been discussing here lately, he had a choice to not do this. He knew that it was a condition of his probationary license. The MTO has deemed that he doesn't have the experience to deal with 400-series highways and he signed for his license under that condition, and others.

Simple enforcement of the law isn't harassment.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

There is always exeptions...lol

One GOLD STAR for Matthew .. for not braking the "highway traffic act" laws... guess your the one that drives on the 401 exactly 100km/hr ?!

the point is Matthew that we all brake "laws" everyday... in one way or the other.. speeding, parking, not using your turn signal, etc ... just not everyone gets Cought..
    thanks for the gold star
    im aware that laws are broken every day. but in some cases, such as when someones job depends on having a clean license, common sense would dictate some caution should be used

but thats if the person has common sense in the first place

Banned

tell the judge to lighten up and arrest a real criminal. Tell him there are unsolved murders in this city and they're harrassing you for riding on a highway and not bothering anyone. Don't worry it will all work out.
    Yes definitely do this. It will work, 99.9% guaranteed.

Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Sorry about that Rob, I forgot to turn on my < sarcasm > filter.

I just enjoy these threads where people ask for 'advice' about how to beat a ticket that they tell us they actually deserved. They don't really want advice, they want sympathy. Post like these help me pass the time.

Sorry about that Rob, I forgot to turn on my < sarcasm > filter.

I just enjoy these threads where people ask for 'advice' about how to beat a ticket that they tell us they actually deserved. They don't really want advice, they want sympathy. Post like these help me pass the time.
    Understood

As you can imagine, I've seen far too many SERIOUS comments like your's

Drops, NO amount of pleading with the judge is going to get you any sympathy in court. That DOES NOT work. Ignorance of the law is not a defence. The magnitude of the consequences of the punishment will not get you off the hook, either.

Now ... Before you get TOO excited about all this, read the Highway Traffic Act and identify what the punishment for this offence is. If it is the usual $110 fine (plus "victim surcharge") plus 2 points, then unless there is something else that's bad on your driving record, then you are NOT going to lose your license over this. It may have some effect on your insurance, but many insurance companies forgive first offences (so be a good little boy from now on) and many others never check your record unless you do something to make them check (so don't buy new vehicles, don't change your policy, don't move house, and don't file a claim for the next 3 years).

No matter what the prosecutor told you before, they DO have the authority to drop the charges. It MIGHT only require that you show the prosecutor your valid M2 license, and they MIGHT drop it. Or, they might not. There are NO GUARANTEES in court.

If you are not comfortable with this whole process, or if for whatever reason there is more at stake than $110 plus 2 points, then get a good paralegal to do it for you ... but it's going to cost you more than the fine.

Banned

1st. I don’t think I’m wrong in saying, that everyone on here drove on the highway, or at night with there M1… you just never got cough.. And I did ..
    wrong. some of us are not ignorant.

1st. I don’t think I’m wrong in saying, that everyone on here drove on the highway, or at night with there M1… you just never got cough.. And I did ..

well let me see NOPE, and its caught, but I have had a cough before

I missed this, the first time around.

Ummmmmmm...... NO. I didn't ride after dark and I didn't ride on the highway, until it was legal for me to do so. I found that not being able to ride was a great excuse to not go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Drops, NO amount of pleading with the judge is going to get you any sympathy in court. That DOES NOT work. Ignorance of the law is not a defence. The magnitude of the consequences of the punishment will not get you off the hook, either.

Now ... Before you get TOO excited about all this, read the Highway Traffic Act and identify what the punishment for this offence is. If it is the usual $110 fine (plus "victim surcharge") plus 2 points, then unless there is something else that's bad on your driving record, then you are NOT going to lose your license over this. It may have some effect on your insurance, but many insurance companies forgive first offences (so be a good little boy from now on) and many others never check your record unless you do something to make them check (so don't buy new vehicles, don't change your policy, don't move house, and don't file a claim for the next 3 years).

No matter what the prosecutor told you before, they DO have the authority to drop the charges. It MIGHT only require that you show the prosecutor your valid M2 license, and they MIGHT drop it. Or, they might not. There are NO GUARANTEES in court.

If you are not comfortable with this whole process, or if for whatever reason there is more at stake than $110 plus 2 points, then get a good paralegal to do it for you ... but it's going to cost you more than the fine.
    There's a little more to it than that Brian.

O. Reg. 196/05, s. 1 (4). 7. The holder of a Class M1 driver's licence may drive a motorcycle on a highway subject to the following conditions:
    1. The novice driver's blood alcohol concentration must be zero at all times while he or she is operating the motorcycle.
    2. The motorcycle may only be driven from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
    3. No passenger may be carried on the motorcycle.
    4. The motorcycle may not be driven on a highway with a speed limit in excess of 80 kilometres per hour other than those parts of the King's Highway known as Nos. 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144 and 655. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 7.
    8. The holder of a Class M2 driver's licence may drive a motorcycle on a highway if the novice driver's blood alcohol concentration is zero at all times while he or she is operating the motorcycle. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 8.
    9. (1) The Registrar shall, after giving notice, suspend the driver's licence of a person who is convicted of violating any of the conditions specified in section 5, 6, 7 or 8. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 9 (1).
    (2) The Registrar shall state the effective date of the licence suspension in the notice. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 9 (2).
    (3) The period of licence suspension is concurrent with the unexpired portion of any other licence suspension under this or any other authority. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 9 (3).
    (4) A licence suspended under subsection (1) shall not be reinstated until 30 days have elapsed from the date the licence is surrendered on account of the suspension or two years have elapsed from the date the licence is suspended, whichever occurs first. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 9 (4).

Quote: So my question is if I tell the judge that I got lost, and ended up on the highway, wanted to take the next exit, etc .. would he drop the suspension and just give me a fine … ??

Who said there was No such thing as a dumb question?

Buddy if you're that concerned about not losing your FULL license then get a paralegal.

You will need to beat the system, NOT the charge.
    Cam
    DR.ZED
    09 Jetta clean diesel. M6
    07 Honda Shadow Spirit C2 VTX750C27
    85 BMW 325e - the race car

yeah, get a lawyer who knows the ins and outs and hope that a sympathetic judge won't suspend your license in light of your job situation

this is going to cost you some $$$ though, and who knows what the outcome will be

also just to pile on, i didn't ride at night or on the highways when i had my M1, not because i'm a 'good person', but because the punishment for getting caught is ****in harsh (see rob's post), and my job didn't even depend on me having a license

good luck!

sorry maybe i missed it but why did you take that risk in the first place? I don't understand why someone takes a risk on something so small, 99% u don't get caught but even 1% it is not worth it.

I have my M1 (I've been renewing it for the past 9 years)..I only drive on 400 series highways... at night..while carrying a passenger...drunk out of my mind....with an occasional wheelie here and there....please let me know how this works out for you....I "MIGHT" need your case for reference or an alibi....P.S. wanna go riding this spring