insurance question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: insurance question

insurance question

hello,
    well i am 19 years old and turning 20 in may and been planning to get a bike. i'll hopefully get my m1 licence sometime this week and i received an insurance quote on cbr 600 cc of $10, 000 annually. that is a big amount!! since i am not gonna be riding the bike everyday and i was wondering if there is a way i can lower my insurance? the bike i'll be riding it lets say 2-3 times a week. and how does bike insurance work when they say yearly? is that from january to decemeber? or from date u want ur coverage to start and until the day u want ur coverage to end. lets say i ask for coverage only from may-september (four months) does that mean in 2008 i only used 4 months so i am gonna be paying for 4 months of coverage out of 12 months and in 2009 i could use another 4 and so on?\
    thank you guys in advance for ur help.

Re: insurance question

2 biggest ways to lower it
    1. get a slower bike
    2. insure it under someone else

Quote Originally Posted by coolridercool View Post
    hello,
    well i am 19 years old and turning 20 in may and been planning to get a bike. i'll hopefully get my m1 licence sometime this week and i received an insurance quote on cbr 600 cc of $10, 000 annually. that is a big amount!! since i am not gonna be riding the bike everyday and i was wondering if there is a way i can lower my insurance? the bike i'll be riding it lets say 2-3 times a week. and how does bike insurance work when they say yearly? is that from january to decemeber? or from date u want ur coverage to start and until the day u want ur coverage to end. lets say i ask for coverage only from may-september (four months) does that mean in 2008 i only used 4 months so i am gonna be paying for 4 months of coverage out of 12 months and in 2009 i could use another 4 and so on?\
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Go through facility.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

hello,
    buddy buy a vespa or new honda cbr 125 to start for one year,then after year maybe get somthing else but not a sportbike not untill ur like 25 buddy,also try state farm there really good
    Last edited by imported_superhawk996; 02-13-2008 at 12:17 PM.

i got quoted for 10,000 too for my 600rr, and i was 18 when i got it... keep calling around, you should be able to find a quote for around 3000 a year, that is with the M2 exit course also...
    RR

hello,
    Insurance has alot of factors played in to know how much your yearly premium is like where you live, how old you are, how long have you been licensed for, if you have any tickets or claimed any insurance before etc.

+1 on Toastman's post, you can also go with just liability, that should cut your insurance in half.

Motorcycle insurance is alot different than car insurance. Motorcycle insurance requires you to either pay in full for the year or other companies can take it in 3-4 seperate payments but you have to pay it all in the first few months. Like all insurance, you sign for a year and if you plan to cancel before your term is over, you will get penalized for the remaining months. You can't request to get insured for a few months(at least to my knowledge you can't) but you could cancel your insurance policy and just pay the penalty which isn't too much if your annual rate isn't too high.

thanks for your suggestions and ideas i really apprciate them. my choice...i'll get a cbr 125 which offers me $1, 000/year for insurance and option 2, is there such thing as pay as u go insurance?
    also, if any of u guys have ridden cbr 125 can u please tell me how does it feel while riding it?
    thanks

Definately get something smaller than a CBR600 to start.

And ask around for "facility insurance"

No, you can't get pay-as-you-go insurance. You've gotta pay for a whole year. But as mentioned, you could cancel it before the year is up and pay the penalty, but it's probably not worth it - might as well keep it the whole year.

If you're getting your license now, make sure you book your training course now too. Your M1 expires in 2-3 months and hardly any insurance companies will insure you without you having the course. So take the course, it's worth it for the insurance and for the knowledge.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

hey coolridercool where did you get a quote for 1000 a year for the cbr 125? I'm looking to pick one up this summer as my first ride but I'm stressed about insurance companies, hoping that they won't destroy me when I call for a quote lol

check kanetix thats where i got it from....

kanetix online is hard to trust.

I put all my info in for all my bikes and I never paid half what insurance said on that site.

Best way to get an accurate quote is to call around. Pick a few bikes in different classes that you're considering (CBR125, CBR600RR, and maybe an SV650), then call for quotes.

Don't waste your time with online quotes.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

thanks for your suggestions and ideas i really apprciate them. my choice...i'll get a cbr 125 which offers me $1, 000/year for insurance and option 2, is there such thing as pay as u go insurance?
    also, if any of u guys have ridden cbr 125 can u please tell me how does it feel while riding it?
    thanks
    honestly, I would get something abit bigger than a 125. You'll probably get bored of it within the first 2-3 weeks because it's small, not much power curve and generally just slow. I would recommend a used 250cc - 650cc. 650cc bikes are considered sport/touring so they aren't rated as sportbikes. Maybe you can look into getting one of those instead.

cbr 600 rr and cbr 600 f4i which ones considered superior than other? even if i get a 600cc i would get the base model (example: if cbr 600cc rr is base model i'll get it) i want something that looks agressive, drives strong and good highways stability. also, of these bikes which ones considered top of the line: cbr 600, yamaha r1 or r6, suzuki gsxr 600, ninja 600?
    thanks

in all honesty man, I don't know how much experience you have with bikes in general, but you listed some tank bikes...I mean if this is going to be your first ride, meaning you haven't even been on something like a pocketbike yet, you might find it wise to tone it down just a tad, especially if insurance payments are your first concern...on top of that, those bikes will more or less eat anything and everything in their way on the streets of toronto lol if you do decide to make the decision of getting those bikes as your first be safe!

menglor

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker_kev View Post
    Definately get something smaller than a CBR600 to start.

And ask around for "facility insurance"

No, you can't get pay-as-you-go insurance. You've gotta pay for a whole year. But as mentioned, you could cancel it before the year is up and pay the penalty, but it's probably not worth it - might as well keep it the whole year.

If you're getting your license now, make sure you book your training course now too. Your M1 expires in 2-3 months and hardly any insurance companies will insure you without you having the course. So take the course, it's worth it for the insurance and for the knowledge.

you can get pay as you go, but it depends on the insurance company.

Kingston offers a 1 year insurance for 4 equal payments + 3% or something like that.

PC insurance does month to month, but you have to have your M.

Statefarm will require you to have your G for 5 years.

Every company is different, so call them all.

but at 20, expect to pay like you are trying to buy a black market kidney.

Quote Originally Posted by menglor View Post
    you can get pay as you go, but it depends on the insurance company.

but at 20, expect to pay like you are trying to buy a black market kidney.
    do your self a favor and take the m2 with a driver training course first. this will pay for itself in the first year alone. then once you have that figure out what kind a bike you want kinda hard to judge if you've never ridden before

cbr 600 rr and cbr 600 f4i which ones considered superior than other? even if i get a 600cc i would get the base model (example: if cbr 600cc rr is base model i'll get it) i want something that looks agressive, drives strong and good highways stability. also, of these bikes which ones considered top of the line: cbr 600, yamaha r1 or r6, suzuki gsxr 600, ninja 600?
    thanks
    I'm sorry, but you're not even 20, not even an M1 license, and you're remotely considering a litre bike like an R1?? Good luck. My husband has an R1 and pays almost $1600 a year, and thats a 37 year old male, clean record, been licensed (full M) for almost 2 decades.

I think you should re-think your strategy. Maybe consider an SV650S, (or another sport-tourer or naked bike). Sporty, torquey and more than enough power for a noob. You also won't outgrow it in a year like you will a CBR125. And you won't need to sell a kidney to pay for insurance. If you're insistent on something fully faired and sportier looking, maybe a GS500?

And do your MSF course asap. BEFORE you shop for insurance.

Try to worry less about buying an agressive, cool looking bike, and more about responsibility, riding within your limits, and spending your money on top quality gear. If you're a noob and you're considering an R1, I suspect you're going to be needing it.
    Last edited by canukgirl77; 02-14-2008 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canukgirl77 View Post
    I'm sorry, but you're not even 20, not even an M1 license, and you're remotely considering a litre bike like an R1?? Good luck. My husband has an R1 and pays almost $1600 a year, and thats a 37 year old male, clean record, been licensed (full M) for almost 2 decades.

I think you should re-think your strategy. Maybe consider an SV650S, (or another sport-tourer or naked bike). Sporty, torquey and more than enough power for a noob. You also won't outgrow it in a year like you will a CBR125. And you won't need to sell a kidney to pay for insurance. If you're insistent on something fully faired and sportier looking, maybe a GS500?

And do your MSF course asap. BEFORE you shop for insurance.

Try to worry less about buying an agressive, cool looking bike, and more about responsibility, riding within your limits, and spending your money on top quality gear. If you're a noob and you're considering an R1, I suspect you're going to be needing it.
    thanks for the life story
    RR

thanks
    no you need the R1. Really stable doing wheelies on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko G View Post
    thanks for the life story
    Yep, because the one sentence of that entire post referred to my husband's insurance history as a comparison point for the OP, that MUST make it a life story. Riiiight.