guy from the GTAMC is also a Bimmer guy....he posted it in the 203 thread

http://www.gtamc.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=873
    good read, thanks for sharing

Re: More bill 203 stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by klf33 View Post
    Drove from Kingston to Windsor,

Speed was 109-114 all the way,

Never had to worry anything other than normal road hazards,

OK then, so what's 50-over in your opinion? Because obviously, at 114kph, you're speeding, but obviously moving at a pace that you feel is more than safe.

So is 50 over 164kph then?

regardless of what speed you feel is safe, versus what is posted, please read through this law, because there are many many things wrong with it, and most of them have nothing to do with speeding.

but here's a scenario.....if your wife/girlfriend get's dinged driving your car (car is in your name, you pay ins. etc).....and it's the only car in your household that you need for work purposes, then say goodbye to your car for a week.....you personally have done nothing wrong, and you still get punished

so how is this fair?

you should not be letting Gov't implement these types of legislations, because the next thing that comes down the pike will be something that really crawls up your crack, and then it's too bad so sad since you applauded the previous rights violations

I think what this law is going to promote is people " running" from the law. I also see a big increase in people using radar detectors. The fine for owning a detector would be less than getting nabbed doing 50 over. Group buy on detectors perhaps?????
    Gary
    Last edited by gcrouse; 04-02-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klf33 View Post
    REad my early post,
    I said I used to go fast, but never come up and whine about a ticket, read my early post, your choices when you ride fast are either.

1- get lucky
    2 get a ticket
    3 - not stop for cops.

whinning online was never an option LOL
    yeah huh. and what about the harley??

i won't put you on the spot for that, but i think you already know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by gcrouse View Post
    I think what this law is going to promote is people " running" from the law. I also see a big increase in people using radar detectors. The fine for owning a detector would be less than getting nabbed doing 50 over. Group buy on detectors perhaps?????
    Gary
    The "fine" also includes confiscation of the equipment, so factor that into your costs.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    The "fine" also includes confiscation of the equipment, so factor that into your costs.

The fine is around $200 last I heard

so:

$200 fine + $400 Radar Detector (or $0 if you use a dummy hehe)= $600 fine

Bill 203 charge = $1200 impound fee + loss of license for a week + possible $2000 fine (minimum $300 fine if charged with 49 over right?) = $1500 to $3200 + loss of vehicle/license for a week

hmm which would you choose
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

SteveT

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post

so:

Bill 203 charge = $1200 impound fee + loss of license for a week + possible $2000 fine (minimum $300 fine if charged with 49 over right?) = $1500 to $3200 + loss of vehicle/license for a week

PLUS INSURANCE HIKE

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post

so:

Now remember that unless you're going to be doing 50 over everywhere you drive, you can lose the RADAR detector at times when it wouldn't have saved you. You can also get nailed for many charges under 203 that don't involve speed at all.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Correct me if I'm wrong, possession of a radar detector is not illegal, it's usage of a radar detector.

If you get a Bell STI which is not detectable by the police rader detector detectors, then you should be fine.

Furthermore, a good practice would be not only not speeding to crazy, but if you get hit with a radar signature, just slow down and unplug and put it in the glovebox or something.

You are correct that possession is not illegal but if it's visible, it will be presumed to have been in use. There are also issues with "instant on" RADAR and LASER.

Quote Originally Posted by Snobike Mike View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, possession of a radar detector is not illegal, it's usage of a radar detector.

If you get a Bell STI which is not detectable by the police rader detector detectors, then you should be fine.

Furthermore, a good practice would be not only not speeding to crazy, but if you get hit with a radar signature, just slow down and unplug and put it in the glovebox or something.
    Forget the glovebox...

Always keep a prepared bubble wrap envelope in your car, with a freinds address on it, and have it fully stamped and ready for the mail. If you were to ever get pulled over, just stuff the radar detector in the envelope, seal 'er up, and your golden.

Isn't it agains't some federal law to open up someone elses mail?

I read something like this on the net long ago....

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    Forget the glovebox...

Always keep a prepared bubble wrap envelope in your car, with a freinds address on it, and have it fully stamped and ready for the mail. If you were to ever get pulled over, just stuff the radar detector in the envelope, seal 'er up, and your golden.

Isn't it agains't some federal law to open up someone elses mail?

I read something like this on the net long ago....
    That is hilarious.
    Just hope it doesn't start beeping and the call in the ETF thinking you have a bomb. lol I guess that kind of paranoia is really for our south of the border neighbours.

LOL... no worries of it doing that if it doesn't have a power source. Now if you have a cordless one... becareful.

Radar dectectors.... they are not fool proof, but they can sure save your butt every once in a while. When I lived in the US... where it was legal to operate... the cops were often still lazy and didn't use "instant on" and even if they did... as long as they are dinging somone within a 1 km range... you'd pick it up.

So ya it works... up to you guys to see if you think it is worth it or not. Many are made right here in Mississauga.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    PLUS INSURANCE HIKE

I'd rather take my one minor ticket insurance increase over a 203 license suspension + Major ticket.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.