I’m not associated with these guys in any way but feel I have to give them a plug.

http://www.abcpowdercoating.com/

A few years ago I bough my own powder coating gear and have an old oven that came out of the kitchen when it was remodeled set up in the garage so I can do wheels, etc. but nothing much bigger.

I’m restoring and old Arthur Glen Windle Sidecar outfit that was made in the 1970’s and since its 8 feet long and 7 feet while there is no way it’s going in my oven.

Many of the VRRA guys swear by ABC and I have also used them before so I dropped the off the frame, wheels, brakes and a bunch of other parts and brackets last week.

I had prepped it by knocking out the bearings, etc. but it was still covered in oil and crud. They said it wouldn’t be a problem as they chemically strip this crud, media blast it and then bake it prior to coating to evaporate any remaining residue.

They took careful notes of everything I wanted masked and plugged. Windles of that era were stove enameled in a colour called “Gunmetal”. It’s actually a blue colour not grey, but they have over 1000 colours and were able to find a stock one that was almost right on.

I opted for a single stage as the original colour was almost between a semi gloss and gloss.

I was told it would be ready in a week.

The following day I got a call saying they had blasted the frame and had found two cracks and asked me if I wanted them Brazed or TIG’ed. I had them braze the parts as the original frames were all brazed together. It’s nice that they took the time to inspect the frame - I wonder how many other companies would have just powdered over the top.

They called me Friday afternoon telling me the parts were ready. And I went this morning to pick them up. They open at 7.

All the parts were wrapped so I just spent half an hour stripping off the foam wrap. Very Good. The masking is perfect and the colour is right on. I checked in all the welds, joints and seams with a flash light and the coverage is great. It’s also not laid on too thick as is the tendency to do with powder

The whole thing including the frame, swinging arm, hubs, wheels, breaks, steering parts and a bunch of assorted brackets, springs and such was $380. This included all the brazing.

Over all a very good experience and I’m well pleased and the result and the price.